Fusion to live on, as Sports Wagon

Have they been visiting here and cribbing our notes?!?

This is slightly disconcerting

Considering the Escape is in the top 5 of small SUV sales, why aren't they considering it or the Edge?

That would be interesting to look into-I wonder if they where previous import owners.

Been discussed ad nauseum or until the cows come home..i am one of those who will not ever buy a ford suv...lets hope NA sales do not look like the chimesse market in 6months....nope not buying a suv from ford or any other brand for that matter..dam things are useless with shit mpg

Been discussed ad nauseum or until the cows come home..i am one of those who will not ever buy a ford suv...lets hope NA sales do not look like the chimesse market in 6months....nope not buying a suv from ford or any other brand for that matter..dam things are useless with shit mpg

MPG is virtually the same as the sedans.

That's my plan. I also plan on looking @ other brands of trucks when I replace my F 250. Ford will no longer be a 1st choice for me.

I guess your F-250 has been a terrible truck?

A Fusion raised 3 inches would prevent you from buying it?

Escape is also old and about to be replaced soon, and sales are starting to show. Its been mostly flat for a few months now.

When you say replaced, do you mean a new name and new design or same name with a total new look?

That said the fact that sales are flat and not outright falling despite being around since MY2013 says a lot. Its old but still pretty competitive.

From a sales standpoint, the main thing Ford Escape has in its favor is that it's a compact crossover. Products in this segment don't have to be particularly good to maintain a high sales rate.

Nothing really wrong with Escape other than a slightly tight interior vs. the new ones. The big problem is it's virtually unchanged since 2012 (sound familiar).

Remember when Ford would even change the dash on refreshes? (2010 Fusion comes to mind).

Nothing really wrong with Escape other than a slightly tight interior vs. the new ones. The big problem is it's virtually unchanged since 2012 (sound familiar).

The main demerits for Ford Escape in 2018 are poor IIHS crash test results, below average performance/fuel economy with the 1.5 liter version, lack of standard AEB and other active safety features, and an interior that is tight and looks dated (as you mentioned). Also, Escape is more expensive than comparably equipped RAV4, CR-V, Rogue, and Forester.

These issues should be fixed in the next generation Escape and at that point Escape should be a competitive vehicle in its class. The new Fusion sport wagon mentioned in the original post should also compete well with Subaru Outback & VW Golf Alltrack.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

The main demerits for Ford Escape in 2018 are poor IIHS crash test results, below average performance/fuel economy with the 1.5 liter version, lack of standard AEB and other active safety features, and an interior that is tight and looks dated (as you mentioned). Also, Escape is more expensive than comparably equipped RAV4, CR-V, Rogue, and Forester.

These issues should be fixed in the next generation Escape and at that point Escape should be a competitive vehicle in its class. The new Fusion sport wagon mentioned in the original post should also compete well with Subaru Outback & VW Golf Alltrack.

Ford is known . to batch all major changes at product cycles changes, I don't think the safety issues play as much

with buyers as a change in say wheelbase or skin panels and interior features. Next Escape answers all issues.

The current Escape actually dates back to 2008 Kuga in ROW markets.

Edited by jpd80

I’m sure the new platform will transform the Escape - the question is will Ford include power plants that are class competitive? The 8 speed seems a sure bet and hopefully will be much better than the current 6 speed but we haven’t seen any clues yet as to upgraded power plants.

Has your F250 not been a good truck for you?

My F-250 has been a wonderful truck. I've never had a bad Ford truck. Since I will be forced to buy another brand sedan, then it only makes sense to look at what else is out there. Thus far Ford has held quality up on the trucks. But this new Ford; I don't trust them. I don't think I'm the only one that will take this view.

I can tell you that the utility supposedly replacing the Fusion was never suppose to be named Fusion and it definitely does not resemble a station wagon (fortunately). It is an excellent substitute for a midsize car but it was originally developed as a stylish coupe-like utility. I don't see the Subaru connection at all but I think that's just color commentary.

Im sure the new platform will transform the Escape - the question is will Ford include power plants that are class competitive? The 8 speed seems a sure bet and hopefully will be much better than the current 6 speed but we havent seen any clues yet as to upgraded power plants.

8 speed will eventually end up in everything FWD.

It's NOT a wagon, but it is Ford's idea on how to transition those customers away from wagons which will eventually die off alongside the sedan/car. It is a global Ford product. I think it's a smart product, but it's not that close to release so I'm not sure how this lines up with the end of Fusion...I suspect it doesn't really.

Edited by Assimilator

I have idea. Wagons don't interest me.

What about something like 5-door hatchback Mondeo, still very much a Fusion but with a more usable hatch area.

The successor could actually be the two surviving body types in the rest of the world - not on C2 but the existing CD4.

ford-mondeo-4doors-side-view.png

With maybe a bit of Audi A4 wheel arches thrown in for good measure...

audi-a4-all-road-side-view.png

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

I can tell you that the utility supposedly replacing the Fusion was never suppose to be named Fusion and it definitely does not resemble a station wagon (fortunately). It is an excellent substitute for a midsize car but it was originally developed as a stylish coupe-like utility. I don't see the Subaru connection at all but I think that's just color commentary.

To be fair though the Fusion sedan was going to stick around for the US market when this vehicle was first conceived. This allows Ford to repurpose the name as well as sell this as the Fusion in other markets where the Mondeo already is. If there is a move back to sedans Ford will just use the Mondeo name here.

• Like 1

What about something like 5-door hatchback Mondeo, still very much a Fusion but with a more usable hatch area.

The successor could actually be the two surviving body types in the rest of the world - not on C2 but the existing CD4.

ford-mondeo-4doors-side-view.png

With maybe a bit of Audi A4 wheel arches thrown in for good measure...

audi-a4-all-road-side-view.png

Lincoln's MKZ replacement probably should look like that A4! I really like that!

• Like 1