Towing with the 2018 Navigator

I have a reserve navi on order with the max tow option. I will tow a boat weighing approximately 6500 lbs.

The book says a weight distributing hitch is required to achieve the maximum 8300 lbs. My question is,

what is the max weight, below which a weight distributing hitch would not be required? In addition to this

information, a discussion/tips of the 2018 navigator as a tow vehicle would be appreciated.

I have a reserve navi on order with the max tow option. I will tow a boat weighing approximately 6500 lbs.

The book says a weight distributing hitch is required to achieve the maximum 8300 lbs. My question is,

what is the max weight, below which a weight distributing hitch would not be required? In addition to this

information, a discussion/tips of the 2018 navigator as a tow vehicle would be appreciated.

I included the pages from the manual about the weight distribution hitch, this may help answer your question. If you have a VIN you can use it to download your owners manual online if you want, I uploaded mine to my phones kindle app so I have access to it whenever I want so I dont have to keep he giant thing in the glovebox. As for tips towing, as I dont tow much and when I do its just a utility trailer, make sure to program the trailer in the tow settings and it will track your mileage and help you with reversing your trailer. The Navigator automatically goes into tow/haul mode when you connect the trailer power cable unlike the Expedition where you have to manually select tow/haul. Hope this helps.

post-57380-0-67124600-1531173560_thumb.png

post-57380-0-36563200-1531173696_thumb.png

Thanks BinB. I should be able to get the manual, hoping to take delivery in four or five weeks. Time to start studying.

I currently have a 2012 F-150 with a 2.7 ecoboost and the factory tow package. It pulls the rig with no problem. The Navi

powertrain will be a significant upgrade, so no worries there. My rig is right at the breakpoint between needing or not needing

the extra expense and complication of the weight distribution hitch. I'm wondering if I could be risking voiding my warranty by

not following the book to the letter? The boat stays at the marina almost 100% of the time. I'll only tow it two or three times a year, less than 500

miles on flat Florida coastal roads.

Thanks BinB. I should be able to get the manual, hoping to take delivery in four or five weeks. Time to start studying.

I currently have a 2012 F-150 with a 2.7 ecoboost and the factory tow package. It pulls the rig with no problem. The Navi

powertrain will be a significant upgrade, so no worries there. My rig is right at the breakpoint between needing or not needing

the extra expense and complication of the weight distribution hitch. I'm wondering if I could be risking voiding my warranty by

not following the book to the letter? The boat stays at the marina almost 100% of the time. I'll only tow it two or three times a year, less than 500

miles on flat Florida coastal roads.

I dont know what to tell you other than if its close enough to cause you to worry maybe better to bite the bullet and go with the weight distribution hitch. Ive never used one so idk how they work but Id have to think the listed weight on the boat and how it actually measures have to be a little different especially after being in the water and having gear on it. I dont own or have ever towed a big boat so Im totally assuming here.

The long wait for this vehicle {put my deposit down 27 March} is giving me the time to overthink, maybe.

I'll try to refresh my patience and wait to actually get the vehicle. Then, hook up the boat and do what makes

the most sense in the real world. I would still appreciate any comments from forum members on the Navigator

as a tow vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

I would go with weight distribution but not an anti-sway hitch. I am very happy with how that set up hauls my 2 horse trailer, also around 6,500 lbs. Goes down the road much easier than my Yukon Denali and that wasn’t bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the contrast between the tractor and the fancy truck. Glad its hauling well for your needs too.

Just a personal choice on not loving anti-sway bars. I find them rather more fiddly to use than a simple weight distribution hitch and hope that the sway control on the Navi would help if needed: https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/safety/driver-assist-technology/trailers-towing-loading/trailer-sway-control.html

Horse trailers have the aerodynamics of a large brick dropped, and I haven't found anything that helps with the first shove of side draught as you pass the front of a semi (or they pass you...)

Yeah I definitely received more looks than usual going down the road. The backup assist is fantastic too, not so much about the turning but the way you can effortlessly reverse straight as an arrow is awesome.

If you're accustomed to the weight distribution type with the bars and chains, the Equal-i-zer is worth a look for sway control. The hookup is practically identical, there's just 2 arms to connect like usual. Those arms happen to provide the sway control too, and it works really well in my experience. Now that I think about it, it's the only sway control style that I do like, so I guess I understand where you're coming from.

• Like 1