Chevy On Front Row After New NASCAR Rule Change

bobbyd

Elliott and Bowman Chevies have the front row for the Daytona July 7th race, probably thanks to the new sudden rule change. Elliott's Chevy was over 2 mph faster than the closest Ford of Brad Kezelowski.

Under the new rules the rear spoiler will get bigger, which NASCAR claims will create more downforce on the rear of the stock cars. The added downforce appears to benefit the Chevy teams who have 50% of the top qualifying positions for the Saturday night race on the 2.5-mile tri-oval.

NASCAR does a great job of being nimble with the rules package to make sure we have great racing, Wile told the News-Journal on Wednesday afternoon. Thats what we all want.

I wonder if the Chevy boys found some advantage testing in the wind tunnel with a bigger spoiler and then went and cried to NASCAR for the change? I wouldn't doubt it one bit. With Ford and Toyota winning almost all the races except Daytona in February (Chevy) by luck. They can't let Chevy look so bad you know.

• Like 1

I assume this rule only applies at the restrictor plate races (Daytona & Talladega)? If so, who gives a rat's patuty other than the gladiator mentality crowd that only watches for all the wrecks? Although those races get the most media attention they do not reflect real racing by a long shot. For the life me I can't understand why the car owners put up with this nonsense of destroying expensive race equipment. Either reduce the banking, shorten the tracks or run the infield road courses during the Cup races but get rid of those ridiculous restrictor plates that bunch the cars up and contribute to all these multi-car pileups. I know none of that will ever happen though because the wrecks are the main attraction for NASCAR's bloodthirsty fan base.

I assume this rule only applies at the restrictor plate races (Daytona & Talladega)? If so, who gives a rat's patuty other than the gladiator mentality crowd that only watches for all the wrecks? Although those races get the most media attention they do not reflect real racing by a long shot. For the life me I can't understand why the car owners put up with this nonsense of destroying expensive race equipment. Either reduce the banking, shorten the tracks or run the infield road courses during the Cup races but get rid of those ridiculous restrictor plates that bunch the cars up and contribute to all these multi-car pileups. I know none of that will ever happen though because the wrecks are the main attraction for NASCAR's bloodthirsty fan base.

I hate restrictor plate racing for the same reason. So costly for the teams.It's a fact that NASCAR is losing popularity and attendance. Maybe that's why they are using Saturday evenings rather than Sunday afternoons at some of the remaining more popular tracks like Daytona? I also read they removed 45,000 seats on the back stretch and multi colored the remaining seats claiming to make them more comfortable. However, it also gives the appearance of being occupied from a distance. The cameras try to avoid viewing the seats from the tv viewers. From what I saw....They bunch the attendance in areas for the cameras to view and avoid the empty ones.

I think NASCAR's biggest problem is far more basic. Times change. Technology changes. People's interests change. As I've said before, not many people watch Roman chariot races anymore either. NASCAR seems to be fighting a no win situation. If they try to appeal to a younger audience they risk alienating their traditional fan base. It's no different for any of the other professional sports. IMO, too much emphasis is placed on corporate sponsorships and not enough on true entertainment value. It also doesn't help that your potential future fan base is more interested in virtual reality than watching anything they can see that is real or that they cannot personally participate in like a video game.

I think NASCAR's biggest problem is far more basic. Times change. Technology changes. People's interests change. As I've said before, not many people watch Roman chariot races anymore either. NASCAR seems to be fighting a no win situation. If they try to appeal to a younger audience they risk alienating their traditional fan base. It's no different for any of the other professional sports. IMO, too much emphasis is placed on corporate sponsorships and not enough on true entertainment value. It also doesn't help that your potential future fan base is more interested in virtual reality than watching anything they can see that is real or that they cannot personally participate in like a video game.

I heard the excuse for the continuous decline was Earnhardt Jr was retiring. Now , they have him doing the races, running him in commercials and hosting NASCAR specials, in an effort to promote the sport.

I agree...Times are changing...millenials don't seem interested. However, I am really excited about the Virtual Reality goggles and games that are trending. Just waiting for the prices to drop...and improved graphics.

NASCAR needs to take a serious look at the Australian Super Car series. IMHO, smaller cars, smaller engines (5.0L maybe eventually 3.0L), more road courses and CUTY courses. I would love to see then at Belle Isle in Detroit !

Of course the owners of multi-billion dollar ovals probably would not like any of that !!

I don't think we will ever see real stock cars again. Too dangerous period. Australian Supercars use tube chassis as well. They just look a little more stock.

to OlWiz's point I was just about to ask that question- I thought they were true stock bodies. With that thought about a return to a car that is closer to stock, how about the joke that the truck series has become?

Ford ovals on a GM powered vehicle! And I understand ARCA is in that same boat. I am one of those whose loyalty is to the brand first-cross the truck series and Arca off my list.

Harvick was the biggest A-hole in the world-until he climbed into that car with the blue oval on it :)

As an aside, the one thing you can say about Nascar is they have done an unbelievable job when it comes to safety. Hard to imagine what the safety record would be at the speeds they run without all the mandated changes.

I don't think we will ever see real stock cars again. Too dangerous period. Australian Supercars use tube chassis as well. They just look a little more stock.

Not in NASCAR but if you were doing road races with runoffs and tire walls you can absolutely run modified production vehicles.

Im with you Bob, I am the same way.

Me too. Kenseth and Edwards really pissed me off when they went to the dark side. Same with Mark Martin and Bill Elliot late in their careers. That's when it became obvious to me that the only real loyalty in all professional sports is to the almighty dollar. Nothing surprising about any of that, just disappointing. That's about the time I started to lose interest. Jack Roush and the Wood Brothers are about the only people in NASCAR with any real loyalty to Ford. Doug Yates might fall into that group as well, not sure. The rest can obviously be bought, regardless of what they might say in front of a TV camera.

Me too. Kenseth and Edwards really pissed me off when they went to the dark side. Same with Mark Martin and Bill Elliot late in their careers. That's when it became obvious to me that the only real loyalty in all professional sports is to the almighty dollar. Nothing surprising about any of that, just disappointing. That's about the time I started to lose interest. Jack Roush and the Wood Brothers are about the only people in NASCAR with any real loyalty to Ford. Doug Yates might fall into that group as well, not sure. The rest can obviously be bought, regardless of what they might say in front of a TV camera.

Add Dale Jarrett going to Toyota to that list !!!