GM Q2 Results - Up 4.6% - The wait is over

rmc523

So the wait is over for GM Q2 results:

Highlights
  • GM’s average transaction prices (ATPs) rose by about $300 year over year to a second quarter record of $35,500 on the strength of new crossovers such as the Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave.
  • Chevrolet saw record crossover deliveries in the second quarter and first half of 2018. It was the best-ever second quarter and first half for the Trax and Traverse, and the best first half ever for the Equinox.
  • Chevrolet and GMC delivered industry-leading pickup sales for the second quarter and first half of 2018. Sales were up 21 percent in the second quarter versus a year ago, and up 12 percent in the first half.
  • Chevrolet and GMC’s clear leadership in the large SUV segment continued, with deliveries up 22 percent in the second quarter versus a year ago, and up more than 10 percent in the first half.
  • Combined sales of pickups, large vans and SUVs increased 18 percent year over year to more than 366,000 units, the highest for any second quarter since 2007. They were up 11 percent in the first half to almost 665,800 units.
  • In the second quarter, the all-new Buick Enclave and Regal were up 25 percent and 42 percent respectively. The Buick Encore had its best second quarter and first half sales ever.
  • The all-new GMC Terrain posted double-digit year-over-year gains for both the second quarter and first half of 2018. It was the best first half ever for the Terrain.
  • Year over year, sales of the Cadillac Escalade increased 1 percent in the second quarter and they were up 4 percent in the first half. XTS deliveries were up 36 percent in the second quarter and 16 percent in the first half.

0HgS6yB.jpg

• Like 1

Why is it logical? Because they and Tesla do it?

To me it's more logical because there are too many 1 month fluctuations due to fire sales or inventory problems. Quarterly reports would smooth out a lot of that. Also the financials are reported quarterly so it lines up nicely.

• Like 1

I agree actually. Month to month is too short a reporting time to get accurate reads for investors. Internally it helps to see micro-trends, but that's not what public sales reports are for. Quarterly reporting makes stocks less volatile and not dive or rise on a 4 week cycle because sales were down one month because of a fleet buy last year or bad weather one month, etc...

• Like 1

To me it's more logical because there are too many 1 month fluctuations due to fire sales or inventory problems. Quarterly reports would smooth out a lot of that. Also the financials are reported quarterly so it lines up nicely.

It also hides bad months and equally hides bad sales managers...

I guess I don't like it because I have to do all this extra work to compare sales numbers between GM and every other automaker. And I don't know what "good" quarterly numbers look like haha, as I'm used to seeing monthly numbers.

Oh Wow, GM truck sales are through the roof, Buick is through the floor, and Caddy is certainly doing better than Lincoln so far this year.

Lincoln was hurt early by reducing fleet sales; it's nice to see them back in the positive this month.

It looks like people are trading Camaros in for Colorados.

I do not understand that the CT6 which is new and the latest assault against the Germans is down, while the XLS, a FWD luxobarge is up. It makes little sense unless most are fleet.

Buick is also having some large swings in model sales. That has to make keeping the prefered inventory a nightmare.

No matter how you add it up, the numbers for the year to date are impressive overall

It also hides bad months and equally hides bad sales managers...

But what does a bad month really mean if overall the quarter was good? It usually means a temporary supply issue (e.g. in April we had big incentives to clear inventory so sales were WAY up, but then our inventory was too low so we had a bad May. June returned to normal. A quarterly view would smooth that out and say it was an average quarter which is much more accurate than saying "WOW April was GREAT" followed by "What the hell happened? Sales are TERRIBLE".

Anything significant in terms of volume changes will be readily apparent in quarterly views.

Also Ford sees sales data on a daily basis internally so this only changes public presentations.

• Like 1

akirby and Anthony described it very nicely. Monthly sales reports are useful internally at automakers for production planning. GM still does that. But for investors and the public, quarterly sales reports are better aligned with financial statements. Also quarterly reporting "separates real sales trends from short-term fluctuations" according to a GM vice president.

I guess I don't like it because I have to do all this extra work to compare sales numbers between GM and every other automaker. And I don't know what "good" quarterly numbers look like haha, as I'm used to seeing monthly numbers.

That's a good point. And why I hope other automakers follow GM's and Tesla's approach soon. Once all automakers do quarterly sales reporting for investors and the public, comparisons will be easy.

Prior to 1990, automakers did 10 day sales reporting. Chrysler then switched to monthly reporting, and all the other automakers followed soon after.

Camaro has not be able to regain the pent-up demand from it's first few years of sales leadership.

Instead of making the interior more upscale like Ford and FCA did, theyre focusing more on the vroom car go fast aspect, not to mention you cant see out of the damn thing which makes the Mustang and Challenger both easier and more fun to drive.

GM June 2018 Sales

Cascada................. 522
LaCrosse ............. 1,485
Regal ................. 1,079
Verano ................... 59

Enclave................ 4,479
Encore................. 7,751
Envision................ 2,010

ATS......................1,501
CT6 ........................840
CTS.........................715
XTS .................... 1,284

Escalade...............3,225
Escalade ESV ...............1
XT5 ................... .5,191

Bolt....................... 1,369
Camaro..................4,759
Caprice.... ....................0
Corvette ............... 2,220
Cruze .................. 12,820
Impala .................. 2,818
Malibu ..................15,692
Sonic .................... 1,246
Spark......................1,561
SS ... ............................0
Volt ...................... 1,933

City Express ..............659
Colorado ...............14,763
Equinox .................21,751
Express van .............7,860
Silverado ................53,381
Suburban .................5,401
Tahoe ....................10,148
Traverse ................11,552
Trax ........................8,381

Acadia ....................5,061
Canyon ..................3,072
Savana van ........... 2,249
Sierra ...................26,391
Terrain ...................6,224
Yukon ....................5,513
Yukon XL ......................0

• Like 2

GM doesn't consider ESV or XL separate models. They are just different body styles of Escalade and Yukon.

For years in the monthly results they were listed separately ("Escalade" and "Escalade ESV", "Yukon" and "Yukon XL" all had their own row). Only with this latest Q2 report did they merge them with their "parent" vehicle.

Edited by rmc523