Three Weeks, 863.5 miles, Dead GTPP2

JD_GTPP2

I have had my 2018 Mustang GT Performance Package Level 2 for three weeks today and this morning while shifting from 3rd to 4th at about 40 mph the engine grenaded.. Below is the link to the Mustang6g forum for a picture of a chunk of the engine block and what used to be a piston ring.

post-58555-0-21551100-1530387282_thumb.jpg

Edited by JD_GTPP2

I dont see how this is so news worthy. For the customer its a big inconvenience. But overall engines fail from every manufacturer. The gm guys shouldnt be so quick to talk crap. Remember the car and driver corvette that ate a rod bearing? Talk to your local Chevy dealer they are putting engines in for knocks on trucks. Hell even Tesla has to change drive units for noise. I just dont see this as such an awful unbelievable situation. Look how many that dont need engines. I have a 2013 f150 with a 5.0 196k Miles never has engine work done.

I wonder what the root cause for this was. Obviously, it is a rare occurrence. There has been some talk on other forums about a ticking noise in some of the 2018s but you never know exactly what people think they hear on an Internet forum.

Ive noticed for whatever reason a lot of newer Ford engines have louder valvetrains. I always figured it was because of the plastic valve covers.

• 4 months later...

I am sorry to hear that. I ordered a 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 which was supposed to be delivered on October 28th. I was told by my salesman today that all GT's on the assembly plant lot are being held and all the engines are being inspected. I was thinking I was being told a story as to why a car I ordered back in April was not here yet but maybe he was telling me the truth. I am trying to figure out where to post my question. 

• 3 months later...