Elon Musk calls Ford 'morgue', Ford fires back

The difference is Amazon built something that truly didn't exist, ie truly online Wal-mart with 0 brick and mortar stores.

Oh, I'm not saying they're right, or that Amazon and Tesla are remotely similar, just that there are probably a bunch of them thinking that's what they have.

They can certainly build the cars but they can't do it in volume at a decent profit yet because of the battery cost and market conditions. That's what should change over the next 5 years to make it viable. Not a technical limitation at all.

The other advantage literally every other car company in the world has is they can balance production on lines that make cars that are already profitable, therefore making the electric versions at the very least profit neutral, but not money losing.
  • Like 3

Tesla is the next Worldcom and Enron. A few people will end up in jail over it. It will also be a conspiracy theory that Ford, GM and other autocompanies conspired to put them out of business.

I highly doubt that (other than the conspiracy theory part; Lord knows there are enough simpletons out there to make any conspiracy theory fly). Tesla might fail, but they are, at least, making product instead of playing a shell game.

• Like 2

I don't think Tesla will be making cars in 5 years. By then the mainstream mfrs will have caught up and surpassed them. I think Musk will take the battery technology that he's developed with the cars and apply it to commercial and residential products.

They're already doing that. It wasn't long ago that they completed a contract for a giant battery farm in Australia.

They're already doing that. It wasn't long ago that they completed a contract for a giant battery farm in Australia.

I know. I'm wondering if that wasn't the plan all along - use cars as the catalyst to get investment money and drive up the stock price. Much sexier than a giant battery farm.

And the only reason Musk got it done on time was because he offered it free if they missed the deadline..

Maybe Musk shoulda modeled Tesla after Dominos...

• Like 1

I think Musk is going through what I call the 'Ford fever'.

Like Henry Ford in his day, after enough people keep telling you 'You're so much smarter, and better and gifted than everyone else.' they start to believe it.

So when the crazy/stupid ideas happen, either there is no one around to question it, challenge it or simply the 'gifted person', simply believes only they are correct, we have what is happening to Musk and his problems with the Model 3 production issues.

He's even saying they're was a spy who was trying to defeat the success.

I mean Henry was a talented and smart guy but when he tried to created a 'Ford-land' in South America, that is when he hit the wall.

I highly doubt that (other than the conspiracy theory part; Lord knows there are enough simpletons out there to make any conspiracy theory fly). Tesla might fail, but they are, at least, making product instead of playing a shell game.

They make product that they lose money on everyone sold, the only time they have made a quarterly profit is when they sold credits, they keep saying they will do it with volume, but they don't hit that volume and are given more rope than any other company in recent history. They are a shell game of just moving funds, and giving one person that much rope just allows them to do one thing, hang themselves really good.

So Musk is requesting $2,500 additional for Model 3 deposits now as a down payment for their order to proceed with a 3 day cancellation policy before the money is his for good.

Of course he wont have to raise money when he pulls this stuff... just more free money to buy him time to continue not meeting goals.

• Like 1

So Musk is requesting $2,500 additional for Model 3 deposits now as a down payment for their order to proceed with a 3 day cancellation policy before the money is his for good.

Of course he wont have to raise money when he pulls this stuff... just more free money to buy him time to continue not meeting goals.

Yeah and it also make those buyers think that their cars are much closer to delivery...

He gets extra capital to work with while keeping the faithful close....

They make product that they lose money on everyone sold, the only time they have made a quarterly profit is when they sold credits, they keep saying they will do it with volume, but they don't hit that volume and are given more rope than any other company in recent history. They are a shell game of just moving funds, and giving one person that much rope just allows them to do one thing, hang themselves really good.

If sucking at making cars was actionable, we wouldn't have any automakers today, because they have all sucked at it at various times through history. Just look at the unholy mess of 2006-2008.

• Like 1

To me, the bigger issue is that Tesla still hasn't returned any profit. It's been a big money hole. I don't care how many cars they make. Until they've returned enough profit to not only make money today, but to payback all the money already spent, I wouldn't declare a success. Until then, Tesla shouldn't talk smack.

• Like 1

It's clear to me after reading that twitter thread, that Elon has created Tesla zealots. My god this is just like 20 years ago when Toyota came out with the Prius. So many folks are so high and mighty, TESLA and ELON can walk on water! This is precisely why you don't throw shade at competitors because this is what you get. One of the main reasons I hate the internet, is that people can create their own reality based on what they perceive and not facts with no recourse. I read many in accurate slams on Ford in that thread, that weren't questioned. Then uneducated will think it's true.

• Like 1

It's clear to me after reading that twitter thread, that Elon has created Tesla zealots. My god this is just like 20 years ago when Toyota came out with the Prius. So many folks are so high and mighty, TESLA and ELON can walk on water! This is precisely why you don't throw shade at competitors because this is what you get. One of the main reasons I hate the internet, is that people can create their own reality based on what they perceive and not facts with no recourse. I read many in accurate slams on Ford in that thread, that weren't questioned. Then uneducated will think it's true.

You mean "Tesla truck coming soon, will soon outsell F150" isn't accurate? :)

• Like 2

You mean "Tesla truck coming soon, will soon outsell F150" isn't accurate? :)

LOL....Elon created the electric car! Ford has never created an electric car. They couldn't develop in on their own so they used Mazda technology.

I rest my case. I am certain there are people paid by Tesla to be trolls on the internet. Not just part of their PR, they employ people to find anything related to Tesla and comment on it. Trashing whatever gets in their way.

I just keep thinking about Gung Ho! Would you want a car built in a tent in suspect conditions? Not to mention a car that is over 40k.