10A vs 6M

brucelinc

I was seriously considering a velocity blue Mustang GT vert with the 10 speed as my mid life crisis car but wife hates mustangs and loves Porsches so I'll probably stick with a used Boxster. But it is tempting.

My buddy just got a coupe in Ruby Red and loves it.

When I was deciding what car to buy, it came down to something simple, yet immeasurable. Smiles per mile. Which car is more engaging and has more theatrics. I like to work for it, I like the car to move around a bit. That few extra 10th's of a second, while a lot, is not enough for me to give up the manual in this case. If we were talking about something like a Porsche PDK box, my opinion would be the other way, it all boils down to the car and transmission combo.

If I didn't enjoy going to the drag strip occasionally and if my wife could drive a stick, I may have gone manual, myself.

I am enjoying the Mustang so much that I am trying to sell my Lincoln. If I get rid of it, we would take the Mustang on road trips and I want something my wife could drive.

This really isnt surprising, automatics have improved significantly the last few years. I used to enjoy driving a stick, but nowdays, especially with a 45 mile commute in stop-and-go interstate traffic jams, its mostly become a chore. From what i have read about the A10, its shift patterns are excellent. Personally i'd rather get on with enjoying the drive without the chore of shifting.

Like above, 10A for me. They have come a long way. Takes little getting used to the shifting in these cars. Especially in SPORTS mode for driving. Other "fun" modes are what they are for. I sometimes switch from NORMAL to SPORTS, and the shifting for driving is pretty significant. Only thing I don't like is the "surge" when downshifting when you are slowing down. Was mentioned in another thread.

When I was deciding what car to buy, it came down to something simple, yet immeasurable. Smiles per mile. Which car is more engaging and has more theatrics. I like to work for it, I like the car to move around a bit. That few extra 10th's of a second, while a lot, is not enough for me to give up the manual in this case. If we were talking about something like a Porsche PDK box, my opinion would be the other way, it all boils down to the car and transmission combo.

It was similar for me too when I was looking to place the order. I drove both 10A and 6M. Eventhough 10A is awesome and quick but i still found 6M more fun to drive. If I buy anything else I would prefer auto.

• 7 months later...

Sport cars should only be manual.

Automatic gearbox, electric cars, robot driving, etc are of course much more comfortable and ideal for commuting, but the most important thing I am buying with a sport car is driving pleasure, the rest counts (almost) nothing.

Personal opinion, not intending to offend anyone ??

2 hours ago, Vins said:

Sport cars should only be manual.

Automatic gearbox, electric cars, robot driving, etc are of course much more comfortable and ideal for commuting, but the most important thing I am buying with a sport car is driving pleasure, the rest counts (almost) nothing.

Personal opinion, not intending to offend anyone ??

Drive a Ferrari or Porsche DCT and you might think differently.

5 hours ago, Vins said:

might be.

I wish it was possible to drive them also with manual shift to have a comparison

There is no comparison from a performance perspective - the DCTs shift way faster than you can and even in automatic mode they downshift perfectly.  And you can keep both hands on the wheel.

The only difference is the feel of shifting a manual and using the clutch and I understand that appeal - I drove sticks for years.   But to me it's like going from hand tools to power tools.  I get just as much satisfaction now from using a good power tool the right way as I got from using hand tools.  And it's a lot faster and easier.

There will always be folks who prefer hand tools and traditional manuals but true performance DCTs will convert 9 out of 10.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, brucelinc said:

I mis-read the topic name and thought it read 10am vs 6am. If that was so, I would choose 10am, because by then I've already had my shower, did my commute, and had 2 cups of coffee!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

There is no comparison from a performance perspective - the DCTs shift way faster than you can and even in automatic mode they downshift perfectly.  And you can keep both hands on the wheel.

The only difference is the feel of shifting a manual and using the clutch and I understand that appeal - I drove sticks for years.   But to me it's like going from hand tools to power tools.  I get just as much satisfaction now from using a good power tool the right way as I got from using hand tools.  And it's a lot faster and easier.

There will always be folks who prefer hand tools and traditional manuals but true performance DCTs will convert 9 out of 10.

of course the automatic shifting is faster / performance is better (few hundredths of a seconds), no doubt about that !

But as you said: some folks prefer old school manual shifting, especially on a "rude" american V8 ??

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vins said:

of course the automatic shifting is faster / performance is better (few hundredths of a seconds), no doubt about that !

But as you said: some folks prefer old school manual shifting, especially on a "rude" american V8 ??

It is kinda like how roller coasters just haven't been the same since they added those pull down bars to keep you planted to the seat!

• Haha 3