2019 Chevrolet Blazer

Anthony

The 3.6 RS should match the Edge ST in performance because of the 9-speed and lighter weight, pricing will be a decision factor also.

Won't even be close, the 9 speed as shown has done little to performance and manages a 1mpg over the 8 speed in units uses.

​Edge ST will be hitting 60 in low 5 second range, The RS will be around mid 6's.

​The Edge and XT5 are almost exactly the same weight as is, The Blazer will be a few lbs lighter (maybe 200) as it just has less equipment and the I4; But not enough to make up for the huge power difference.

I remember a time when GM always made the fastest competitor in each car segment, but now Ford just outright owns everybody on fun factor across the board. It's one of the reasons I still love this company, I'm never disappointed when I get behind the wheel. I love Ford's consistency, they seem to understand what their returning customers like and it's that vision I appreciate even when they are struggling.

Edited by Assimilator

Won't even be close, the 9 speed as shown has done little to performance and manages a 1mpg over the 8 speed in units uses.

​Edge ST will be hitting 60 in low 5 second range, The RS will be around mid 6's.

​The Edge and XT5 are almost exactly the same weight as is, The Blazer will be a few lbs lighter (maybe 200) as it just has less equipment and the I4; But not enough to make up for the huge power difference.

Looking at how the Regal GS and Fusion sport are dead-even in acceleration despite Ford's big power advantage is what im going on (also the Buick out brake and handle the Ford), I'm sure on top-end the ST would out-gun the Blazer marginally but with them being CUVs the Blazer's 4500 lb tow capacity interest me the most.

They're not dead even. Fusion Sport is several tenths faster to 60 and faster in the quarter mile.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/tested-2017-ford-fusion-sport-review

Fusion Sport

5.1 0-60

13.7@ 101 mph

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-buick-regal-gs-test-review

Regal GS

5.4 0-60

13.9@ 101 mph

Virtually dead-even though Ford gets the slight advantage, the Edge and Blazer probably have simular results.

I agree that if Chevy wants to respond to Wrangler and Bronco, they probably should have saved the name. But it's probably best to see if Ford can crack the Bronco, I have my doubts right now that it might be an exercise in design nostalgia instead of the versatility wonder that is the truly outstanding Wrangler.

If GM decides to take on Jeep, I have a feeling we'll see a "GMC Hummer" or something like that so they can keep it as "premium". For some reason, they don't like Chevy to go upmarket.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No wonder they didn't show pictures of the rear of the red one....look how terrible that giant piece of black plastic in the middle of the bumper looks.

blazerred01-1.jpg

I'm guessing that's there because sometimes when people load large or heavy cargo, there is a tendency to place it on the bumper to slide it in and that won't scratch like paint. I'm thinking along the lines of a large LCD or heavy Ikea like furniture.

GM is joining the Asian brands with sharp angles and body crease a-palooza design - Not my style but smart move for Chevy because the buying public is eating that up! They want their new car to look modern. Blend-in handsome, non-offensive design is the new 'boring'. I am surprised that the iconic 'Blazer' name is on this Hyundai/Lexus clone CUV.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

I've been seeing them all over Michigan.

GM has a more modern and trendy design aesthetic going on, to me this looks somewhat similar to the GMC Terrain which I see EVERYWHERE in Michigan. Lots of new GM products have this same sort of new age design with the play on longer hoods and proportions with sculpted creased lines overlapping smooth surfacing and foating greenhouse designs. To me it tends to look very tortured and over designed and it's not something I expect Ford to ever do. Ford is not exactly a design innovator anymore but I do trust them to be smarter about it...although I'm not that impressed by Focus and 2020 Escape...2020 Explorer is amazing however.

Edited by Assimilator

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/tested-2017-ford-fusion-sport-review

Fusion Sport

5.1 0-60

13.7@ 101 mph

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-buick-regal-gs-test-review

Regal GS

5.4 0-60

13.9@ 101 mph

Virtually dead-even though Ford gets the slight advantage, the Edge and Blazer probably have simular results.

100 mph is 146 ft/second, a 2/10 lead in time over the 1/4 mile for the Ford mean 29 feet gap.