2018 Ford EcoSport Ownership 5 Month Update

phil1336

Well, I've owned my 2018 Ford EcoSport almost 5 months now taking delivery on Feb 1,18 an driven about 3400 miles so far. Took a shot an purchased the EcoSport without any reviews except negative ones posted by Foreign Owners outside of North America. I must say, despite the fact that I have seen a total of (Zero) EcoSports on the roads of South FL, I'm not sure whether Ford will continue the effort to establish this Model for the NA Market. I am pleased with the build quality, fit, finish, an general craftsmanship despite the fact it was assembled in India. I purchased the base Model in "S" Trim with a 20K MSRP. Upgrading to SE, Titanium etc is ridiculous. No matter how many bells an whistles you add, its a 20K vehicle, period! My main gripe is the poor unacceptable fuel economy. True, Ford posted EPA numbers indicating such. Perhaps considering the Gasoline cost difference of several hundreds of dollars a year compared to another Vehicle in its Class is not all that important. What is? I just finished a 6 day Car Rental of a 2017 Ford Taurus Limited with a 3.5 L V6 Engine that produced "Better" Fuel Economy then a 1 L 3 Cyl EcoSport Engine, seriously? Almost 1000 miles driven from Burlington VT to Ottawa & Montreal with both Highway and Stop & Go City driving an it averaged 27 MPG! How a Full Size Ford Taurus with a huge V6 Engine can deliver better fuel economy is preposterous! Ford better hurry to tweak its Baby Escape quickly before it has another Edsel on its hands.

The mileage you got in the Taurus is impressive given that 27mpg is it's EPA highway rating. Your EcoSport is still pretty new, especially mileage wise, you might still see mpg improvement going forward. Also physics plays a HUGE roll in mileage. The "BIG" engine in the Taurus doesn't have to work very hard (rpm/hp/torque) to move the car and it will lump along at 1800 rpm at 45-50mph. The EcoSport weighs about 600-1000lbs less than the Taurus (depending on how equipped) The EcoSport with it's tiny 1.0L 3 cylinder engine has to work a LOT harder to move that mass more rpms = more fuel burn. Tons of other factors involved as well. #quityourbitching

This segment tends to perform poorly because of small engines coupled with poor aerodynamics. That's particularly a problem with the EcoSport and its tiny boosted 1.0L in a relatively large blocky vehicle. The overall MPG on EcoSport is competitive but it's by far the worst in class when it comes to Highway which makes it a terrible car on US/Canada Highways. EcoSport is just not intended for the US market but it's still a fair value when you consider how much you can get in a fully equipped EcoSport for the money, and I would certainly prefer it over the Fiesta which also has relatively terrible fuel economy.

Is it true the EcoSport has a hard time keeping centered in a lane on the highway? Some reviews have complained about the vagueness at high speed which makes it unpleasant for highway cruising which would certainly be my biggest concern.

Edited by Assimilator

Well, while we are discussing Small CUV`s an their Fuel Economy, I have in my driveway a 2017 Honda HR-V. Similar size Vehicle size with much better Rear Seat Configuration options as well as a (huge) 4 cyl Engine compared to my EcoSport. The Honda perhaps because of its much maligned CVT gets almost 30 MPG City and 33 MPG Highway. My Former Ford C-Max SE Hybrid, one of the (Best) Vehicles I have ever owned, trouble free an got almost 40 MPG both City an Highway also had the dreaded CVT Transmission which I personally never had issue with. I'm not "Bashing" Ford! I have bought over 15 New Ford Vehicles in my lifetime. I am a Ford Shareholder as well. Loyalty to a Brand can only go so far when common logic says, something is very wrong ae: EcoSport Fuel Economy. Other then that, I actually prefer the EcoSport over the HR-V. No issue either that someone brought up about difficulty staying centered in a Highway or Street Lane? With new protective Tarriffs that have or are about to be put in place (India) I'm sure not excluded, that $19,995 MSRP on a EcoSport "S" Trim will soon go poof! Perhaps the 2019 EcoSport soon to reach JOB1 Status may indeed be the end of this experiment. Ford arrived late at the CUV Party an perhaps should have mailed in their R.S.V.P. an simply declined. I suspect that some kind of similar configuration in the next generation Focus will politely let the EcoSport leave North America without a lot of fanfare. Hope I'm wrong because the residual Value will make me greatly regret not opting for the Lease Option.

PS: Wouldn't you know it, just a day after declaring I have yet to see a single EcoSport on the roads of South FL, today I saw my first. S Trim like mine in Charcoal Grey with Stone Interior. The one thing Ford did get right is offering finally another Standard White Paint option other then Oxford White! My EcoSport in Diamond White with Stone Interior looks great.

The wife had one as a loaner and was not impressed with the fuel economy either. Worse than her 2.0 Escape and less pickup. I had an 18 Escape AWD with the 1.5 and got 27 on the highway.

It's one of the HUH? things I have about all these small crossovers - not that great fuel economy but smaller....

I also agree that the EcoSport should not have come to the US, but they are also in the middle of a new vehicle drought while phasing out models so they have to do something to hang onto some customer diversity since their new vehicles are still years away. Focus Active will certainly help somewhat, but Maverick should finally deliver some decent volume with production facilities closer to the US. What's interesting is that Ford is by far the least prepared right now to phase out cars because they have no competitive small utilities, but they are working on it and have some confidence they can sort it out.

Since I have experience with both variants, what is the difference. Both seems to operate similar?

please someone correct me if Im wrong.

a regular CVT is cones and belts to make it work. The e-CVT uses a planetary gear since it gets power from both the gas engine and the electric motor.

please someone correct me if Im wrong.

a regular CVT is cones and belts to make it work. The e-CVT uses a planetary gear since it gets power from both the gas engine and the electric motor.

Assuming that is the case, which one came in the Ford C-Max Hybrid an which is in the Honda HR-V?

Curious what the Sales figures are for all the Small CUV`s in their Class. Buick Encore, Chevy Trax, Mazda CX3, Jeep Renegade, Honda HR-V, an last but hopefully not least, our beloved EcoSport experiment? Other then possibly the Buick Enclave, I'm quite sure the Honda HR-V is devouring everyone else Lunch. When Honda does a complete Make-over/ Facelift in 2019 or 2020, it will no doubt get another significant "bump".

Curious what the Sales figures are for all the Small CUV`s in their Class. Buick Encore, Chevy Trax, Mazda CX3, Jeep Renegade, Honda HR-V, an last but hopefully not least, our beloved EcoSport experiment? Other then possibly the Buick Enclave, I'm quite sure the Honda HR-V is devouring everyone else Lunch. When Honda does a complete Make-over/ Facelift in 2019 or 2020, it will no doubt get another significant "bump".

In the grand scheme of things the EcoSport isn't doing too badly in the market

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/06/small-suv-sales-in-america-may-2018/

The EcoSport is the the originator of the segment and the bestselling vehicle in its class worldwide so it's tremendously successful, but Ford may be trying to cover too many markets with one vehicle. And it's probably true that lower fuel prices is one of the reasons they are bringing it to the US market now since poor Highway economy is less of a crippling factor. I think what I'm concerned about the most is that the EcoSport really is just another aging Ford product that's not very competitive which seems to be the accepted norm at the company right now. So in an aging fleet, adding another old car to the mix just seems suffocating at this point and helps to magnify their current product crisis. I'm still waiting to turn that corner because I know things are about to change so you have to give them some time to fix their business.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

I take acceptation to the "theory" that 8,000 or 10,000 Break In Miles is necessary to qualify true Fuel Economy numbers. I Special Ordered a 2011 Ford Fiesta Hatchback in late Winter of 2010. I also ordered it with a Power Moonroof which was supposed to be "Late Delivery" but arrived on the first Car Transporter Truck that dropped the initial load of Fiesta`s in July of 2011 at my Dealer. I drove this Vehicle 5 years an put on almost 50K mileage. With the supposed problematic PowerShift Getrag Automatic Transmission, this Car from day 1 got 36 MPG City an a 41-43 MPG Highway until the day I traded it in July of 2015 for a 15` Ford C-Max SE Hybrid. Never had a bit of trouble with that Vehicle. Yeah, it did have an occasional shutter or glitch finding the right gear occasionally but not often. When they said they had a (Patch) that once installed, couldn't be removed, I opted to leave everything as is because of the great Fuel Economy. Same with my 2015 Ford C-Max, from day 1 until I traded it in this past Feb for the Ford EcoSport, Fuel Economy never changed. I was told to drive the C-Max like it had a raw egg under the accelerator pedal to get optimum fuel economy an maintain Highway speed between 50 & 55 MPH. Seriously, on the Highways of Florida? You would be given a Ticket for driving too Slow. One should not have to wait for a years worth of mileage or driving with a (feather foot) to obtain decent Fuel Economy.

One should not have to wait for a years worth of mileage or driving with a (feather foot) to obtain decent Fuel Economy.

Uh...average driver puts 12K on a car a year-so 3-4 months is too long?

There are so many different variables with MPG that its slightly madding to keep track of it-

My parents came down to visit me in MD from CNJ-About 120 miles or so one way several times a year. They have a FWD '13 Escape Ti

They did the trip one time and got 32 MPG...way above the EPA highway mileage. other times it was 28-26...which was much closer to the EPA MPG guidelines.

With my SHO, best I got was 25 MPG when it was 90 degrees out driving to Carisle, PA...other wise I average about 16.5 to 17.5-18 with my 16 mile commute into work every day- I lose about a MPG during the winter.