New MKC to be called Corsair (maybe)

Corsair would be the only Edsel name not yet reused, except for Roundup. Pacer and Citation were used on flops, but the Ranger has been successful.

The ironic part is that Chevrolet ultimately ruined the Citation name, not Edsel.

By this point, most people, when they hear "Pacer" are more likely to think, "Wacky car that reflects quirky 1970s style," as opposed to, "Flop."

Today people look at AMC Pacers with a combination of amusement and nostalgia.

Edited by grbeck

Corsair would be the only Edsel name not yet reused, except for Roundup. Pacer and Citation were used on flops, but the Ranger has been successful.

Don't forget the wagons, Villager was used with mild success for years as a Mercury minivan...also as a trim of Mercury wagons. Bermuda was not used again....Roundup was the other name for the Edsel wagon line. Also, the still-born Edsel Comet that was to debut in 1960 was quickly re-branded as a Mercury and was a very successful compact sedan for Mercury.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

Don't forget the wagons, Villager was used with mild success for years as a Mercury minivan...also as a trim of Mercury wagons. Bermuda was not used again....Roundup was the other name for the Edsel wagon line. Also, the still-born Edsel Comet that was to debut in 1960 was quickly re-branded as a Mercury and was a very successful compact sedan for Mercury.

Villager was also the name for non-fullsize wood panel sided wagons, starting with the Comet.
  • Like 1

The ironic part is that Chevrolet ultimately ruined the Citation name, not Edsel.

By this point, most people, when they hear "Pacer" are more likely to think, "Wacky car that reflects quirky 1970s style," as opposed to, "Flop."

Today people look at AMC Pacers with a combination of amusement and nostalgia.

• Like 1

I think Corsair is a stretch to relate to mkC, but it's ok. I'd prefer Mariner. But what I really care about is it having slightly more rear legroom, slightly more range, full-range (aka stop-start) adaptive cruise, and of course the Continental-class seats. Bonus points for it being a PHEV with a decent EV range.

Corsair is weird hard to pronounce doesnt really roll off the tongue.

How they dont see that Mariner is the obvious choice Ill never understand.

Mariner as a mercury was a fantastic suv.

How is it hard to pronounce?

"core"-s-"air"

Mariner IS an obvious choice, but they likely want to avoid association with Mercury, as they've worked hard to shed the "tarted up Ford" image, which this would only point back to.

Lincoln is also a very tiny carmaker, they don't need the alpha numerics to scale their vehicles and customers so giving them names makes sense for their small US and Chinese audience. It makes sense for Audi, Mercedes, and BMW which are enormous by comparison.

I'm actually very doubtful Lincoln has the potential to be a volume luxury carmaker which is why I think they should focus on exclusivity and names might help. Lincoln brand is also very weak so focusing attention on the vehicle instead of the brand is probably helpful. Navigator is a much stronger brand than Lincoln for example.

Edited by Assimilator

• 2 weeks later...

Lincoln brand is also very weak so focusing attention on the vehicle instead of the brand is probably helpful. Navigator is a much stronger brand than Lincoln for example.

I think Assimilator is on to something here.

Lincoln is having a lot of success with the Navigator, and I cannot help but think that the Navigator is succeeding almost in spite of the Lincoln brand name and not because of it (although I cannot reference any empirical studies to prove that). I really hope the same (strong sales numbers) will happen with the new Aviator. That is, I hope people will love its looks and capabilities and features and that it will sell really well.

If Lincoln will fix the shortcomings of the current MKC (not enough back seat room, give it a better/more composed ride, and fix the maddening and inexplicable side mirror issues), I want to think that it, too, could sell well with a new name like Corsair and a good marketing campaign behind it.

Edited by 1984Poke

I agree, they need great product to get people out of the mindset that a Lincoln is a 1979 Town Car.

last year of the big dinosaur....got "downsized" to the Panther chassis the next year....and remained on Panther chassis until the last rear wheel drive model was produced in 2011....

• Like 1

I actually think Lincoln is reinforcing its image as a 1979 Town Car. That seems to work well for the Navigator since it has that richness and flamboyance that's perfect for the segment, but it's not something that works well for a variety of products and customers. I'm not really sure how Lincoln is going to successfully standout and grow with it's current design and product approach which I don't find terribly imaginative or noteworthy in a crowded market. I have grown very doubtful that Lincoln has the right direction in mind...until they reveal what they are doing next anyway. They definitely need a next act to grow their business because it's shrinking at the moment.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2