Finally got bit by the clutch

Anthony

Brought the Focus in to the dealer because it was making a droning noise between 60-70 mph. Totally had it pegged as a bad wheel bearing.

Imagine my face when they called and let me know the noise was actually coming from the trans and they were ordering new clutches for it.

This literally happened in the span of a day. Ive been gloating that Ive had no trans problems. Looks like Ill have to eat crow and join the rest of those with clutch replacements.

Crud.

• Like 2

Make sure you have this for dessert... seriously, you had a pretty good run...how many miles on the clutch(es)?

eat-crow-humble-pie.jpg

53,500 miles. The thing that surprised me the most is that it was not a gradual thing, it just outright began making noise one day. I've not heard that being a symptom (droning noise), which led me to believe it was wheel bearings.

Oh well. I even told the service writer, "even though I'm surprised, I guess I should have expected my time to come." He even said..."oh, you know about these cars, eh?" lol

They are keeping it one day (most likely overnight). From TSB 11-12-13 looks like the tech gets paid 6.5 hours.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
111213A 2012 Focus Automatic Transmission: Inspect For Transmission Fluid Leak, Replace The Inner Input Shaft Seal, Outer Input Shaft Case Seal And Clutch Assembly Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission, Perform Clutch Adaptive Learning Procedure And Drive Cycle (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 6.5 Hrs