2019 Fusion Hybrid Taxi and Transit Connect Diesel Taxi

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/14/ford-fusion-hybrid-taxi-diesel-transit-connect/#slide-7354583

Ford shows the new Fusion Hybrid Taxi and Transit Connect Taxi with a diesel.

The 2019 Fusion Hybrid Taxi, aside from being the first of its kind offered by Ford, is also interesting because it uses parts from the Ford Police Responder Hybrid. Yes, Ford went Blues Brothers on its latest taxi. Specifically, it has cop suspension and cop brakes that are more durable. The former adds some more ride height, perfect for potholed city streets whether they're in Detroit or New York. Ford also expects it to have roughly the same fuel economy as the Police Responder, which is 40 mpg in the city, 36 on the highway, and 38 in combined driving.

fusionhybridtaxi-04-hr-1.jpg

fusionhybridtaxi-03-hr-1.jpg

The other relatively frugal taxi offering from Ford is the 2019 Transit Connect Taxi, which will be offered with the new 1.5-liter

diesel four-cylinder. That engine makes 120 horsepower and 200 pound-feet of torque, the latter of which should be quite handy dicing it up with dense city traffic. Fuel economy isn't as impressive as the Fusion Hybrid, with an estimate of 30 mpg on the highway, but that still puts it as the most efficient version of the little van. It also retains all of its van practicality.

transitconnecttaxi-02-hr-1.jpg

transitconnecttaxi-05-hr-1.jpg

Has there been a Fusion taxi package offered?

Is Fusion basically becoming the new Crown Vic - being offered to police and taxis before being phased out?

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2

hopefully no one has any luggage if they are picked up with the fusion....hopefully something that gets addressed with the E platform.

Good point.

Also, now that I'm thinking about it......could this just be a simple way to get a better ROI on the upgraded components off the PRH (Police Responder Hybrid)?

• Like 1

Is Fusion basically becoming the new Crown Vic - being offered to police and taxis before being phased out?

I don't think it was ever offered with a "taxi package" but Ford certainly did have a Fusion hybrid S fleet only option before, which was basically reserved for taxi duty. But I don't think Ford sold that many.

But officially, I think this Fusion hybrid taxi package replaces the C-Max for NYC taxi fleet buyers holding a hybrid medallion. Ford did sell quite a few C-Max hybrid to NYC taxi fleets that needed to replace their Escape hybrid with another hybrid. Escape hybrid --> C-Max hybrid --> Fusion hybrid

As for the new Crown Vic... that honor belongs to Toyota Camry. It is now the most common taxi cab in Manhattan. I'd guess 50% of the NYC cabs now are Camry, maybe 25% are NV200, and the remaining 25% are others (C-Max/Transit Connect/Prius/Sienna/RAV4/Avalon/Highlander/Altima etc)

Edited by bzcat

hopefully no one has any luggage if they are picked up with the fusion....hopefully something that gets addressed with the E platform.

Just did a road trip in the fusion and thought the trunk was pretty spacious. 3 pieces of carryon luggage, a back pack, a cooler and 4 folding chairs all fit pretty easily.

I don't think it was ever offered with a "taxi package" but Ford certainly did have a Fusion hybrid S fleet only option before, which was basically reserved for taxi duty. But I don't think Ford sold that many.

But officially, I think this Fusion hybrid taxi package replaces the C-Max for NYC taxi fleet buyers holding a hybrid medallion. Ford did sell quite a few C-Max hybrid to NYC taxi fleets that needed to replace their Escape hybrid with another hybrid. Escape hybrid --> C-Max hybrid --> Fusion hybrid

As for the new Crown Vic... that honor belongs to Toyota Camry. It is now the most common taxi cab in Manhattan. I'd guess 50% of the NYC cabs now are Camry, maybe 25% are NV200, and the remaining 25% are others (C-Max/Transit Connect/Prius/Sienna/RAV4/Avalon/Highlander/Altima etc)

I meant in the sense of them offering it in police and taxi versions like the Crown Vic.

Just did a road trip in the fusion and thought the trunk was pretty spacious. 3 pieces of carryon luggage, a back pack, a cooler and 4 folding chairs all fit pretty easily.

Did you have a regular Fusion or a Fusion Hybrid?

The hybrid impedes on the trunk space to fit the batteries.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/14/ford-fusion-hybrid-taxi-diesel-transit-connect/#slide-7354583

Ford shows the new Fusion Hybrid Taxi and Transit Connect Taxi with a diesel.

fusionhybridtaxi-04-hr-1.jpg

fusionhybridtaxi-03-hr-1.jpg

diesel four-cylinder. That engine makes 120 horsepower and 200 pound-feet of torque, the latter of which should be quite handy dicing it up with dense city traffic. Fuel economy isn't as impressive as the Fusion Hybrid, with an estimate of 30 mpg on the highway, but that still puts it as the most efficient version of the little van. It also retains all of its van practicality.

transitconnecttaxi-02-hr-1.jpg

transitconnecttaxi-05-hr-1.jpg

NYC just approved Fusion,Taurus, MKZ (yes) for yellow cab uses also Impala and Malibu along with Sonata and Avalon with Camry, guess that Nissan "Cab of Tomorrow" ideal fizzled though it's still available.

• Like 3

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if NYC still has any Crown Vic taxis running around? I always get a kick out of seeing Boston and Mass State Police still running Crown Vics this far after they have been out of production now.

Edited by Steve557
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if NYC still has any Crown Vic taxis running around? I always get a kick out of seeing Boston and Mass State Police still running Crown Vics this far after they have been out of production now.

Michigan State police and a lot of county sheriffs around here still have a few Crown Vics running around.
  • Like 1

The other relatively frugal taxi offering from Ford is the 2019 Transit Connect Taxi, which will be offered with the new 1.5-liter diesel four-cylinder. That engine makes 120 horsepower and 200 pound-feet of torque, the latter of which should be quite handy dicing it up with dense city traffic. Fuel economy isn't as impressive as the Fusion Hybrid, with an estimate of 30 mpg on the highway, but that still puts it as the most efficient version of the little van. It also retains all of its van practicality.

My current work vehicle is a Renault Kangoo van with 1.5 TD and 6MT, it's LWB so approximates the Transit Connect Taxi.

I do a reasonably good mix of surface roads, some peak hour traffic and freeway running, in 40,000 miles I'm averaging US 44 MPG

Where the diesel shines is lower speed running in traffic it never dips below 30 mpg and 40-45 mph running, the economy jumps to 50 mpg.

Diesel has its place in Vans and Utes, I feel more confident in the US taking it forward in heavier vehicles

where diesel can shine in lower speed commute work, it makes a great alternative to hybrid power.

Edited by jpd80