Strange engine whining noise

FaSSt2001

Hi. We have a 2014 MKZ Hybrid that has started making a whining noise when the gas engine is running. It only makes the sound when the engine engages and it does it in park and all gears. It's a lot less audible in neutral and reverse though. It gets louder with acceleration as well. I've never heard anything like this before. It resembles alternator whine, but I'm finding out that these cars don't have alternators. The sound is coming from right under the electric motor, but it's so tight right there I can't really see what's there. I made some videos of the sound to hopefully help diagnose it. It's driving us nuts and we really don't want to take it to the dealer. Has anyone heard anything like this on their hybrids (or even gas models) before?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Ed

• 9 months later...

Sounds somewhat like the noise the trans makes when the bearings fail on the transfer shaft, though I can't tell without being there in person. There is a TSB for it, and hybrid specific components are covered by a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. 

• 1 month later...

Wife's 2013 MKZ Hybrid is making the exact same noise.  We've noticed it for probably a year and it's been getting worse.  I tried to add transmission fluid (which is a pain...) a few months ago after doing an oil change and finding transmission fluid on the side of the transmission case.  Made no change at all.  Please let us know what the issue was and whether it was covered under warranty - thank you!  We're going to take hers in this week.

Here's the TSB I found.  I think their diagnosis steps match my wife's car exactly.  We first noticed some grinding and other noises while driving around, but now we have the much louder sounds just like the video above.  Better be under warranty...

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3394/thumping-rubbing-or-grinding-noise-from-transmission-2013-2016-ford-c-max-fusion-lincoln-mkz

Edited by glocklt4

Got the car into the shop and they finally diagnosed it as needing a new transmission.  Luckily under the 8year/100k hybrid parts warranty still.  I don't have the exact diagnosis details yet, but pretty sure it's the bearing as mentioned above.  I'll report back once we pick it up and discuss with the techs.

Hi. Sorry, I didn't see these notifications until now. Yes, our issue was the transmission as well and we had to get a new one put it. Our dealership ended up finding us a used one out of a wrecked car and it cost us half the price of a new one. No warranty covered our repairs as we were outside of all the warranty periods with over 100,000 miles at the time. They also told us the transmission is sealed and they don't work on them, they only replace them. I'm glad they are covering it under warranty for you. I would have never guessed that sound would be coming from a transmission. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I can't edit my previous post for some reason, but it turns out that when we took the car in we had under 100,000 miles and we didn't know about the hybrid parts warranty and the dealer didn't mention anything about it. We will be contacting them about this warranty since it looks like it should have covered the transmission since this transmission is exclusive to the hybrids.