Ford introduces next-generation, Police Interceptor Utility Hybrid - the industry's first pursuit-rated hybrid SUV

Does the current PIU come with all the same color choice as Explorer? I've only seen them in black and white or all white.

The 2020 order guide lists 17 different colors... I'm guessing that's all the 2020 Explorer retail colors?

Medium Brown Metallic

Arizona Beige Metallic

Vermillion Red

Blue Metallic

Smokestone Metallic

Kodiak Brown Metallic

Dark Toreador Red Metallic

Iconic Silver Metallic (new)

Norsea Blue Metallic

Dark Blue

Royal Blue

Light Blue Metallic

Silver Grey Metallic

Sterling Greg Metallic

Agate Black (new)

Medium Titanium Metallic

Oxford White

Regular production is normally restricted to 10-12 exterior color choices. Fleet orders with paints available only to Fleet are normally held until a certain volume of the same color can be scheduled for production at the same time.

Per yesterday's FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin)

PI UTILITY

For the 2019 MY PI Utility the Government Sales Office will support contract extensions and rollovers that are required by contract and will consider those not required by contract. You can start submitting your requests for extensions and rollovers once pricing for 2019 MY becomes available. Since the 2019 MY will be the final year for the current model PI Utility and the final order due date is planned for 9/21/18, please notify your customers to get their 2019 MY orders in quickly to secure production allocation. We are anticipating that demand will far exceed production allocation and orders will be scheduled on a first come basis with preference to sold units (no orders for stock). In addition, given that the 2020 MY PI Utility will be an all-new program we will not be able to extend or rollover any contracts with price protection.

2018 MY – Key Dates
 2018 MY Final Order Due Date: 06/08/2018
 2018 MY Job Last Date: 09/09/2018

2019 MY – Key Dates
 2019 MY Order Bank Open Date: 06/13/2018
 2019 MY Pricing Available (est.): 06/13/2018
 2019 MY Job #1 Date: 09/10/2018
2019 MY Final Order Due Date: 09/21/2018
 2019 MY Job Last Date (est.): 02/28/2019

I expect that a lot of the municipality police departments are going to have a problem dealing with the early deadline for 2019MY Police Interceptor Utility orders. I also expect that the early order deadline is so that Ford can give allocation priority to PI production to satisfy demand and then will use the balance of available 2019MY Explorer production for stock and retail production. If so, there will be less production allocation available for retail and stock order production.

• Like 1

No reason not to expect the Hybrid powertrain on the consumer version of the 2020MY Explorer. Why spend the money on a new Hybrid powertrain for limited production (Police) units when the additional engineering and production expenses can be spread across the whole 2020MY Explorer model lineup? Besides, it fits with Ford's electrification strategy as previously announced.

I think the questions is whether the Explorer hybrid would be a 3.3L NA or the 3.0LT from the Aviator.

I’m guessing it’s the 3.3L.

So now Ford has 3.0 TT V6 PHEV in the Aviator and this and a 3.3 V6 hybrid for the PIU.

That opens up a lot of possibilities in future products...I've a got a good feeling about this.

Edited by jpd80

• 2 weeks later...

I am very interested in see so specs, like wheelbase, track, overall length and WEIGHT !

I was very disappointed when the current unibody generation came in at about the same weight as the old BOF !

The current Explorer might weigh as much as the previous one, but it's also a lot bigger. My wife's Explorer was parked next to a 98 Expedition last night and it was crazy how close in size they were.

• Like 1

The current Explorer might weigh as much as the previous one, but it's also a lot bigger. My wife's Explorer was parked next to a 98 Expedition last night and it was crazy how close in size they were.

Correct the D3 Explorer is 5" wider at 78.9" versus 76.7" but also has 2" more hip and shoulder room than the BOF Explorer..

One of two things will happen with the new RWD Explorer:

Either the same external width but with more interior space or same internal space but with reduced external width

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

The packaging on Explorer and Aviator is significantly more efficient while exterior dimensions are generally longer, lower, and wider which makes it look smaller than the taller and boxier D4 Explorer. I get the impression that Explorer is more Flex-like than I would personally like but it's not quite that wagon-like even if the interior packaging is somewhat similar. Actually, the new Explorer looks like the current Explorer but flattened and stretched. I think it looks sharp but not all SUV fans will be happy since it's moving further away from that tall utility aesthetic...I think that's why Bronco is timed to arrive at the same time. Ford Crossovers are getting lower and lower to the ground for efficiency. The Edge dropped 2-inches, the Escape will drop an inch I believe. When you see this happening you see why cars are no longer needed, they are starting to merge in the middle. The Explorer is going to be great but I'm not sure it's exactly what consumers are looking for, I'm a little iffy on the mass appeal but it's a technologically powerhouse and Ford's flagship for sure. It should generate tons of excitement and I would certainly buy one before seeing Aviator.

Some things to look for, the new 10-Speed Hybrid transmission design which will be mated to at least two engines between Explorer and Aviator (3.3L V6 and 3.0L EB). Optional Larger Vertical/Portrait infotainment screen with a split view for the car's controls and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. It will be the first Ford with these two technologies but they are rolling out to all their premium RWD products. Ford is suppose to be deploying a HUD in the US but I'm not clear on what vehicles are getting it, I assume Explorer is a likely candidate.

Edited by Assimilator

Some things to look for, the new 10-Speed Hybrid transmission design which will be mated to at least two engines between Explorer and Aviator (3.3L V6 and 3.0L EB). Optional Larger Vertical/Portrait infotainment screen with a split view for the car's controls and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. It will be the first Ford with these two technologies but they are rolling out to all their premium RWD products. Ford is suppose to be deploying a HUD in the US but I'm not clear on what vehicles are getting it, I assume Explorer is a likely candidate.

Probably F-150. Thats usually the first Ford to get the newest technology

The packaging on Explorer and Aviator is significantly more efficient while exterior dimensions are generally longer, lower, and wider which makes it look smaller than the taller and boxier D4 Explorer. I get the impression that Explorer is more Flex-like than I would personally like but it's not quite that wagon-like even if the interior packaging is somewhat similar. Actually, the new Explorer looks like the current Explorer but flattened and stretched. I think it looks sharp but not all SUV fans will be happy since it's moving further away from that tall utility aesthetic...I think that's why Bronco is timed to arrive at the same time. Ford Crossovers are getting lower and lower to the ground for efficiency. The Edge dropped 2-inches, the Escape will drop an inch I believe. When you see this happening you see why cars are no longer needed, they are starting to merge in the middle. The Explorer is going to be great but I'm not sure it's exactly what consumers are looking for, I'm a little iffy on the mass appeal but it's a technologically powerhouse and Ford's flagship for sure. It should generate tons of excitement and I would certainly buy one before seeing Aviator.

Interesting that Explorer gets a bigger vertical screen while Aviator keeps the tablet.

We haven’t seen the production Aviator yet - it might change.

Fair enough - it'll be tough though with the air vents right below the screen, though. They've been sticking very close to the concepts, especially considering they labeled it a "preview" rather than a concept.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by rmc523

The packaging on Explorer and Aviator is significantly more efficient while exterior dimensions are generally longer, lower, and wider which makes it look smaller than the taller and boxier D4 Explorer.

Current D4 Explorer is 78.9" wide, very close to F150 so I doubt the new CD6 Explorer will be wider.

I think you're right though as the CD6 Explorer looks lower and longer which may make it look wider too..

I get the impression that Explorer is more Flex-like than I would personally like but it's not quite that wagon-like even if the interior packaging is somewhat similar. Actually, the new Explorer looks like the current Explorer but flattened and stretched. I think it looks sharp but not all SUV fans will be happy since it's moving further away from that tall utility aesthetic...I think that's why Bronco is timed to arrive at the same time. Ford Crossovers are getting lower and lower to the ground for efficiency. The Edge dropped 2-inches, the Escape will drop an inch I believe. When you see this happening you see why cars are no longer needed, they are starting to merge in the middle. The Explorer is going to be great but I'm not sure it's exactly what consumers are looking for, I'm a little iffy on the mass appeal but it's a technologically powerhouse and Ford's flagship for sure. It should generate tons of excitement and I would certainly buy one before seeing Aviator.

CD6 Explorer becomes bigger than Grand Cherokee while Edge and Bronco fills the role below.

Obviously smaller than GC but maybe Ford's strategy covers the market better without direct competition.

Fair enough - it'll be tough though with the air vents right below the screen, though. They've been sticking very close to the concepts, especially considering they labeled it a "preview" rather than a concept.

maxresdefault.jpg

On second thought it probably won't change. I would like to see a wider screen though.