Ford introduces next-generation, Police Interceptor Utility Hybrid - the industry's first pursuit-rated hybrid SUV

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/06/12/police-interceptor-utility-hybrid.html

ALL-NEW FORD POLICE INTERCEPTOR UTILITY PURSUIT-RATED HYBRID OFFERS IMPROVED PERFORMANCE, LOWER GAS COSTS

• All-New Ford Police Interceptor Utility is purpose-built for law enforcement with a standard hybrid powertrain that doesn’t compromise interior space, improves pursuit performance and aims to lower fuel costs, and it comes with standard all-wheel drive
  • Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid expected to save an estimated $3,200 per vehicle in yearly fuel bills versus today’s non-hybrid model, saving tax dollars
  • Ford Telematics with built-in Ford modem and complimentary two-year subscription comes with every vehicle to enable agencies to gain access to quality vehicle information, including fuel use data, CO2 emissions reduction, vehicle health alerts and more

WASHINGTON, D.C., June 12, 2018 – Ford, America's best-selling police brand, today introduced the all-new Police Interceptor Utility, the industry's first pursuit-rated hybrid SUV.

The all-new Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid responds to calls from law enforcement agencies for improved performance with lower operating costs to help make the lives of law enforcement officers easier with improved pursuit performance and standard all-wheel drive – and save agencies and taxpayers money. Its hybrid batteries are specially placed inside the vehicle so they do not compromise passenger or cargo space.

The all-new Police Interceptor Utility also reflects Ford’s plan to offer hybrid, plug-in hybrid or both versions for every new utility in North America.

“We’re committed to electrifying vehicles for all customers, including law enforcement who need the high performance and low operating costs that Ford’s next-generation hybrids will excel at providing,” said Hau Thai-Tang, executive vice president of Product Development and Purchasing. “Standard all-wheel drive is important because crooks don’t stop when it rains.”

While fuel economy certification isn’t complete, the Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is expected to have a projected EPA-estimated combined label of at least 24 mpg – approximately 40 percent improvement over the current 3.7-liter V6.

Anticipated fuel economy gains, combined with expected fuel savings from reduced engine idling time, are expected to help save law-enforcement customers an estimated $3,200 per vehicle in yearly fuel bills versus the current Police Interceptor Utility.

If you applied these savings to every Ford Police Interceptor Utility sold in 2017, it would equate to more than $126 million at $2.93 a gallon, or more than 43 million gallons of fuel.

Sales of Ford Police Interceptor Utility rose 5 percent in 2018, building on five straight years of sales growth and capturing 65 percent of the total U.S. police vehicle market.

The all-new Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is projected to accelerate faster, achieve a higher top speed and have at least 40 percent better fuel economy than the previous V6-powered model, helping catch suspected lawbreakers and reduce costs.

The new hybrid-powered Police Interceptor Utility also reduces engine idling time to save fuel when the vehicle is stationary. They hybrid can power demanding electrical loads from lights, computers, radios and other equipment using its lithium-ion hybrid battery, allowing the gasoline engine to shut off and intermittently run to charge the battery.

The Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is calibrated for law enforcement’s unique duty cycle. The utility automatically switches to maximum performance – with the engine and battery working at peak acceleration levels – when needed.

In addition to improved performance and no trade-offs in utility, cargo and passenger space, the Police Interceptor Utility features exclusive 75-mph rear impact protection for safety.

Technology Upgrades
The new Police Interceptor Utility also offers the following features, including:

• Standard Ford modem and two-year complimentary Ford Telematics service – a powerful simple-to-use tool that provides vehicle data regarding fuel use, CO2 emissions reduction, and vehicle health
  • Available all-new Police Perimeter Alert enhances previous Surveillance Mode by using the vehicle’s Blind Spot Information System that can monitor approximately 270-degrees of movement outside the vehicle, and analyze motion to determine potentially threatening behavior. It features a visual display in the instrument cluster that shows moving objects, the motion trail, and threat level. When suspicious behavior is detected, the vehicle automatically sounds a chime, rolls up the windows and locks the doors
  • Available Rear Camera on Demand that allows officers to see what’s happening behind the vehicle
  • Available Class III trailer tow package that enables Police Interceptor Utility to tow up to 5,000 pounds

“With Ford Telematics, we’re helping our police customers unlock the data from their vehicles to provide them with more effective ways to manage their fleets and improve operations,” said Stephen Tyler, Ford Police Brand Marketing Manager.

The all-new Ford Police Interceptor hybrid will be built at Ford Chicago Assembly plant and up-fitted at Ford’s Chicago Modification Center. It goes on sale next summer.

cq5dam.web.881.495.jpeg

cq5dam.web.881.495.jpeg

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

It's a Hybrid with "standard all-wheel drive". I wonder if that means that the gas engine turns the rear tires and an electric motor turns the front tires. Hmm... :headscratch:

That makes the most sense knowing that the next Explorer is RWD. Ten speed auto for rear wheels, electric power up front probably.
  • Like 1

That makes the most sense knowing that the next Explorer is RWD. Ten speed auto for rear wheels, electric power up front probably.

I know we've been speculating on that but I'm leaning towards a more conventional hybrid drivetrain. It would be hella cool if it works as you described though.

The Hybrid power plant is STANDARD for all UIs? It does stand to reason that like other similar systems, the Hybrid drivetrain is part of the AWD system.

That's a big deal and exactly what we were promised...but it's like they want to sweep it under the rug. They must be concerned about Department orders as Taurus is dropped and just want to get this out there.

Have to admit however, I hate those taillights...did they really need to keep the same design?

Edited by Assimilator

I know we've been speculating on that but I'm leaning towards a more conventional hybrid drivetrain. It would be hella cool if it works as you described though.

Does Ford even have a RWD e-CVT that we know of?

Even if they have one we dont know of yet, the system I described would be the perfect thing for Ford to show some innovative thinking on, and I think the PIU is the perfect platform to show off that innovation.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

The Hybrid power plant is STANDARD for all UIs? It does stand to reason that like other similar systems, the Hybrid drivetrain is part of the AWD system.

That's a big deal and exactly what we were promised...but it's like they want to sweep it under the rug. They must be concerned about Department orders as Taurus is dropped and just want to get this out there.

Have to admit however, I hate those taillights...did they really need to keep the same design?

Yeah, I don't understand why they'd redesign it, yet make it look the same, especially the taillights, which are among the easiest things to change.

I get keeping the same look/feel, but they look almost identical to the existing units in these shots.....I'll wait to see them revealed though.

Does this mean we'll see the regular version revealed soon then, and not at a show?

Yeah, I don't understand why they'd redesign it, yet make it look the same, especially the taillights, which are among the easiest things to change.

I get keeping the same look/feel, but they look almost identical to the existing units in these shots.....I'll wait to see them revealed though.

Does this mean we'll see the regular version revealed soon then, and not at a show?

The last new one was shown end of July 2010 on Facebook first then on the Today show. They started releasing new Explorer teaser images in early June 2010 as well.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the Explorer/Aviator/F-150/Mustang are using the same RWD Hybrid design and it's NOT part of the AWD system. The Hybrid Generator is actually built into the 10-Speed transmission and housed inside the Transmission's enclosure. It's designed to be extremely versatile, compact, and modular so it can be fitted to multiple engines like any other transmission. The FWD hybrids are using a more traditional setup.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

I can confirm that the Explorer/Aviator/F-150/Mustang are using the same RWD Hybrid design and it's NOT part of the AWD system. The Hybrid Generator is actually built into the 10-Speed transmission and housed inside the Transmission's enclosure. It's designed to be extremely versatile, compact, and modular so it can be fitted to multiple engines. The FWD hybrids are using a more traditional setup.

This is still very innovative. Finally Ford is getting ahead of technology on something and that is very refreshing Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

I doubt that's the setup.

It makes sense if the car is FWD and you can drive the rear wheels with electric motors separately (e.g. like Lexus RX or Toyota Highlander).

In a RWD setup, there is already a driveshaft so no reason to not send electric power to the rear (or all 4 wheels in this case).

I'm also pretty sure this will be the same system used for the F-150 hybrid so its very likely to use the 10 speed auto with both electric motor and gasoline engine sending power thru the transmission, similar to the original Escape hybrid. Open question on whether it will have a differential or AWD transfer case. I'm guessing it will.

Wow, this new 2020 Explorer in Hybrid Police form is just impressive!! The fact that it will be having more cargo room compared to current one despite on-board batteries along with the optional tow package capable of 5,000 pounds! Wow. Makes me wonder how much higher the tow capacity will be for the non-hybrid Explorer. Great job Ford. I like how they previewed it as a teaser by releasing info of the PI Hybrid first as a teaser.

I'm thinking Ford may be doing the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' thinking regarding styling like the taillights. I'm thinking the same thing that they may be revealing the regular production Explorer shortly. I do remember Ford doing a reveal for the 2011 Explorer on Facebook separate from auto shows as part of its promotion. I won't be surprised if this will be repeated. As jasonj80 said in his above post, they did it in July 2010 so I won't be surprised if it's anytime soon.

I can confirm that the Explorer/Aviator/F-150/Mustang are using the same RWD Hybrid design and it's NOT part of the AWD system. The Hybrid Generator is actually built into the 10-Speed transmission and housed inside the Transmission's enclosure. It's designed to be extremely versatile, compact, and modular so it can be fitted to multiple engines like any other transmission. The FWD hybrids are using a more traditional setup.

Oh this is fantastic! Makes me even more excited for Ford now. I thought it was all 'talk' by Hackett and Farley regarding the Hybrid system they were discussing as if it was going to be one of the most innovative. But this gives me hope that Ford could very well be ahead of competition soon with this technology especially with the CD6 platform so that it can easily be shared across different vehicles to simplify engineering and costs for it. The only thing against it is that they can't bring it to market faster than they can. But it's only a year to go... only a year...

• Like 1

Oh this is fantastic! Makes me even more excited for Ford now. I thought it was all 'talk' by Hackett and Farley regarding the Hybrid system they were discussing as if it was going to be one of the most innovative. But this gives me hope that Ford could very well be ahead of competition soon with this technology especially with the CD6 platform so that it can easily be shared across different vehicles to simplify engineering and costs for it. The only thing against it is that they can't bring it to market faster than they can. But it's only a year to go... only a year...

And to think what could have been if the hair hadn't delayed the platform entirely, It would have hit the market this year.

• Like 2

I gave it the old college try.

post-6726-0-17131300-1528829376.png

I'm assuming it'll only be on the PI, but it's odd looking how the wheel well plastic is wider/thicker on the rear wheel well than the front one.

Wow, this new 2020 Explorer in Hybrid Police form is just impressive!! The fact that it will be having more cargo room compared to current one despite on-board batteries along with the optional tow package capable of 5,000 pounds! Wow. Makes me wonder how much higher the tow capacity will be for the non-hybrid Explorer. Great job Ford. I like how they previewed it as a teaser by releasing info of the PI Hybrid first as a teaser.

I'm thinking Ford may be doing the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' thinking regarding styling like the taillights. I'm thinking the same thing that they may be revealing the regular production Explorer shortly. I do remember Ford doing a reveal for the 2011 Explorer on Facebook separate from auto shows as part of its promotion. I won't be surprised if this will be repeated. As jasonj80 said in his above post, they did it in July 2010 so I won't be surprised if it's anytime soon.

The more I look at it, I'm getting a "c" vibe from the lights - as in the red part that lights up will be a C shape with the reverse/turn signal within it, so while a similar look, it'll likely look different enough to the average customer.......actually I guess an easier way to say it would be a reverse of the current setup.

• Like 1

I'm squinting really hard to see this but it sure looks like the front-end has a Taurus or 2015 Edge-like vibe that I wasn't expecting. The grille looks trapezoidal with the lights shaped similar to the current Edge and Taurus. Anybody else seeing this?

All-New-Ford-Police-Interceptor-Utility-

Edited by Assimilator

I'm squinting really hard to see this but it sure looks like the front-end has a Taurus or 2015 Edge-like vibe that I wasn't expecting. The grille looks trapezoidal with the lights shaped similar to the current Edge and Taurus. Anybody else seeing this?

All-New-Ford-Police-Interceptor-Utility-

Yes, I thought that too......but I'm guessing it'll more closely mimic the 2019 Edge rather than the Taurus (at least let's hope so).

2019-ford-edge-st-inline0-photo-702462-s