2019 Edge Order Guide

ice-capades

Im 90% sure it disconnects at the rear end but I could be wrong about that.

But that's how the current system works. It's disconnected in the rear differential until the system activates the clutch in the rear differential. This one must be different.

Even the 2.3 would help. I understand production issues for the 2.3 and know that the 2.0 is an overachiever for it's size. My perception and I'm guessing that of many potential buyers is that a 2.0 is pretty small for a vehicle the size of the Edge. I'm also sure many Titanium buyers would opt to pay up for the 2.3 or especially the 2.7. I know I'd much rather pay up for a larger engine than have to pay for an unwanted sun roof! Sorry, that still bothers me.

Even the 2.3 would help. I understand production issues for the 2.3 and know that the 2.0 is an overachiever for it's size. My perception and I'm guessing that of many potential buyers is that a 2.0 is pretty small for a vehicle the size of the Edge. I'm also sure many Titanium buyers would opt to pay up for the 2.3 or especially the 2.7. I know I'd much rather pay up for a larger engine than have to pay for an unwanted sun roof! Sorry, that still bothers me.

While I agree it would be nice for the 2.3 to be available as an option, the 2.0L is a perfectly capable base engine. 0-60 is 7.6 seconds - that's muscle car time in the 60s.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How does the 19 Edge AWD differ from what was used in the past? Does the driver actually disconnect the AWD or does that happen automatically when it isn't needed? Will this lessen the mileage drag for AWD? We have a 13 Edge FWD and have stayed away from AWD due to the cost and mileage penalty. We have a 4X4 F150 when things get really bad.

Can anyone confirm this "AWD disconnect" yet? How it works, but more importantly is it automatic or a manual button in the cabin?

One more quick question: the auto-stop/start thing is standard now (... great). Can this be shut off one-time or do you have to do it EVERY TIME you start the car?

The fuel economy ratings of the '19 Edge will be interesting.

One more quick question: the auto-stop/start thing is standard now (... great). Can this be shut off one-time or do you have to do it EVERY TIME you start the car?

If you turn off auto start stop in 2019 Ford Edge, it will remain off only for the current ignition cycle. When you shut off the engine and restart, auto start stop will be enabled again. So if you always want it off, you have to press the button every time you start the car.

Description from 2019 Edge owners manual. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O41026&languageCode=en&marketCode=US&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1676091&subTitleSelected=G1967514&topicHRef=G1967515&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

Edited by rperez817

I posted an article somewhere but the PTU disconnect is automatic. When rear torque is not needed it disengages the rear drive shaft in the PTU then re-engages it when needed in milliseconds.

Auto stop/start can be disabled with a button on the dash but you can also control it somewhat with brake pressure. I’ve actually come to like it on my F150 so give it a chance. You can disable it permanently with Forscan.

I posted an article somewhere but the PTU disconnect is automatic. When rear torque is not needed it disengages the rear drive shaft in the PTU then re-engages it when needed in milliseconds.

Auto stop/start can be disabled with a button on the dash but you can also control it somewhat with brake pressure. I’ve actually come to like it on my F150 so give it a chance. You can disable it permanently with Forscan.

So the same "auto-AWD" system as 2015, except there physically a disconnect to mainly improve fuel economy?

I think the disconnect is great, but mixed review on how well the "auto" AWD was working though.

It’s not the same but it’s also not quite as new as they make it seem. The old system already used logic with inputs like throttle position, yaw sensors and steering angle to shift torque before shift occurs - sounds like they just improved the algorithm.

Disconnecting the PTU is different than the older RDU clutch.

It’s not the same but it’s also not quite as new as they make it seem. The old system already used logic with inputs like throttle position, yaw sensors and steering angle to shift torque before shift occurs - sounds like they just improved the algorithm.

Disconnecting the PTU is different than the older RDU clutch.

I thought the hardware for the AWD was new on the 2019 Edge too, with that being manufactured by AAM and that it was their 2nd gen Eco Trac disconnect system.

I thought the hardware for the AWD was new on the 2019 Edge too, with that being manufactured by AAM and that it was their 2nd gen Eco Trac disconnect system.

Yes the PTU is new - that's where the disconnect happens. But I don't think they changed the RDU or the basic functionality of the system.