2020 Ford Explorer Spied

Ford could definitely update its gauge cluster. I recently drove a 2018 explorer platinum with the lcd cluster and I was amazed at how much more user friendly the 2 tiny lcd screens in the gauge cluster on my 13 fusion were.

With lcd gauge clusters, I also think theres an opportunity that all automakers are missing out on. People like to customize things. We change the background of our phones and tablets, people even spend real money on cosmetic items for video games, so why not try to tap into that and allow people to customize these gauges? How cool would that be to have a rectangular speedometer from the 70s, or maybe a digital speedo from the cougar in the 80s? Or something completely customizable, any color, shape, size and font as long as it meets safety requirements. Something similar to the Apple Watch and its many face options. With updates over WiFi now, itd be fairly simple for this to happen, and they might even be able to make a couple bucks. Ive been staring at the same screen for five years now. I wouldnt mind paying a few dollars for a change of scenery.

I completely agree, Lincoln has also been using that same display and it's completely useless. It's messy, less informative, and does far less. I haven't used the new display on Continental/Navigator that extensively yet but visually it's not nearly as striking as the virtual cockpit in Audi. It's a little too minimal and defeats the purpose of a full screen. I assume if I get another Lincoln in a year I will have the larger screen (Nautilus or Aviator).

Edited by Assimilator

Any idea on what this is?

Theyve been doing that for years. Thats where they equip them with the various toys ordered by the departments.

Flat Rock has a mod center too, thats where they paint on stripes and where the GT350Rs go to get their carbon fiber wheels and finish out the interiors with the carpet where the back seat should be.

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but I have this horrible feeling that the new Explorer will look almost identical to the current generation. This usually doesn't end well in the sales department (see Fusion, Camaro).

There is a noticeable difference between the 2. You can easily tell one generation from the other even if they are not parked next to one another.

No way that's the new one. They would have covers over the lights and there is no way they're using the same exact sheetmetal either.

That appears to be the exact same sheet metal. I don't think that's the production skin.

Well, I was a few minutes behind...guess that's what I get for multi-tasking...

There is a noticeable difference between the 2. You can easily tell one generation from the other even if they are not parked next to one another.

Which is clearly not the case in the picture above. Those are identical and they wouldn't have the hood open on a real 2020 prototype.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is just a test mule using the old Explorer. The new Explorer does have some obvious design similarities to the current vehicle (the taillights being the big one) but it's a completely new vehicle none-the-less. The new Explorer looks very much like a better imitation of the Land Rover, it's kinda funny really because the Aviator does a pretty good imitation as well. I love it personally, especially the front.

Edited by Assimilator

Which is clearly not the case in the picture above. Those are identical and they wouldn't have the hood open on a real 2020 prototype.

I wasn't talking about the photo, I was talking about the actual 2020 Explorer. That one in the photo is obvious a current model mule that is actually probably from the 2016 update that has been re purposed for Powertrain options. There are noticeable differences between the new 2020 Explorer and current one, you'll notice the difference at quite a distance.

I wasn't talking about the photo, I was talking about the actual 2020 Explorer. That one in the photo is obvious a current model mule that is actually probably from the 2016 update that has been re purposed for Powertrain options. There are noticeable differences between the new 2020 Explorer and current one, you'll notice the difference at quite a distance.

I know - I was agreeing with your assessment.

• Like 1

I'm curious about the space efficiency achieved with the 2020 Explorer, does this mean no actual increase in length

but a lot bigger inside thanks to RWD proportions reducing front over hang?

The Aussie Territory was very space efficient, its wheelbase and length were almost identical to the Edge

but with interior dimensions close to D3 Explorer. Not only that, it had to find room for the longer I-6 engine

as seen with the longer nose.....

65e17e5caefaa4aef5d2c0f1a78dfd7ccee24934

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Ive never seen one of those before. That is one fugly profile

Remember it was developed at a time when styling was influenced by Freestyle,an ugly American goober.

The I-6 Turbo predated Ecoboost by many years....

It's dumpy looking because of the lower waist line, something not seen for years in the USA.

Edited by jpd80

Ive never seen one of those before. That is one fugly profile

The Terri came out in 2004 and was previewed in a concept as the R7 in 2002. The Freestyle came out in 2005 so I'm not quite sure how Freestyle gets the blame for its design. This was mostly a corporate thing, specifically J. Mays who was slowly turning Ford into VW lite.

This is the 2011 when they tried to come up with a fascia that looked like Global Ford, although American Ford was doing its own thing in the same year...fortunately!

articleLeadwide-2011-ford-territory-tita

18n8uveeokeapjpg.jpg

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Boy I guess I'm in the minority. I think the Territory looks good- Then again my wife after driving three Explorers refused to get one of the new ones-claims she could not see out the back-could care less about cameras. She wanted a Pilot which I said would not happen. Found a CPO 2010 Limited that had 27,000 miles on it.

I have to believe based on these pix the Territory would have solved her concerns about poor rearward visibility.

• Like 1

It was influenced by the low belt line, making the glass house look huge

The back end has a lot of the BOF Explorer stylings day te lower hood line makes it even more so. The front was done as something to include corporate open mouth, much like earlier Ecosport. Territory was actually a great utility to drive and handled quite well, the whole thing was developed for around US$300 million

What I was originally asking is whether the 2020 will be longer or just use existing length with better proportions and better space efficiency

Edited by jpd80