2020 Ford Explorer Spied

This is the best look yet at the new 2020 Explorer, revealing some details about the final design's sheetmetal and greenhouse. The design is not a huge departure at first glance but it does take on the more dramatic and bolder proportions of the CD6 RWD platform. The Clamshell hood is gone but the distinctive greenhouse is still there, just toned down and swept back. The fascia looks somewhat similar to the current Expedition and Explorer, more horizontal and wrapped around as opposed to the shield grille of the Aviator.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/2020-ford-explorer-already-looking-bigger-brawnier/

There are far more photos at the link but one of them reveals something completely trivial but interesting to me which is the standard LED headlamps of the new Nautilus which haven't been seen yet. They look really sharp!

2020-Ford-Explorer-13Carscoops.jpg2020-Ford-Explorer-35Carscoops.jpg

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

For those of you wanting more on the 2020 Explorer...

It's a taught, more svelte version of the current model, without all the packaging limitations of the D3 platform.

They did very well with this one.

I know you have insider info since I have seen your posts here. Is the 2020 Explorer similar to the Lincoln Aviator as recently revealed or different direction in terms of styling and packaging? The Explorer is definitely CD6 rear driven-based as the Aviator is, correct? I would think the Aviator being more luxurious while Explorer being more sporty to give customers variation in styling and packaging choices. Just wondering is all.

I know you have insider info since I have seen your posts here. Is the 2020 Explorer similar to the Lincoln Aviator as recently revealed or different direction in terms of styling and packaging? The Explorer is definitely CD6 rear driven-based as the Aviator is, correct? I would think the Aviator being more luxurious while Explorer being more sporty to give customers variation in styling and packaging choices. Just wondering is all.

Explorer looks similar to the current one, but modernized and refined.

Aviator looks like the concept.

Both RWD.

• Like 1

Its actually starting to fall out of favor. Mercedes is dropping it from new models (18 A class and 19 G class).

Well...not exactly. It has just been blended into the instrument panel which is still a floating design.

maxresdefault.jpg

04-mercedes-benz-design-g-class-2018-fac

The BIG difference with Mercedes and just about every other luxury carmaker that is that Ford & Lincoln relies entirely on a touch interface instead of the hand controller. So in order to keep the display at a reachable distance while elevating it to a more usable position, it needs to come away from the dashboard and closer to the user. This also means they don't have to increase the size of the display.

There are a few alternative innovations from Audi with the Q8 being the latest example of a split screen design, but you also have 3 separate displays in the car which is a bit of a mess IMO. The Instrument panel becomes a more important interface in this setup since it's closer to the driver's line of sight.

2018-Audi-Q8-Interior.jpg

Range Rover is also doing something similar.

img1893353548-1508777592538.jpg

But I think we can all agree that Lincoln's solution looks pretty dopey in comparison. Part of this is that Lincoln relies entirely on a scalable head-unit design from Ford and can't fund it's own custom solution.

2018-Lincoln-Navigator-front-interior-dr

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

What's always been a little confusing about the prototypes is that it looks like it has the same taillights as the current vehicle, which essentially it does...broadly speaking.

Some of those spy shots are just the current D3 with camo applied-the shots where its next the current Explorer for example.

Well...not exactly. It has just been blended into the instrument panel which is still a floating design.

maxresdefault.jpg

04-mercedes-benz-design-g-class-2018-fac

The BIG difference with Mercedes and just about every other luxury carmaker that is that Ford & Lincoln relies entirely on a touch interface instead of the hand controller. So in order to keep the display at a reachable distance while elevating it to a more usable position, it needs to come away from the dashboard and closer to the user. This also means they don't have to increase the size of the display.

There are a few alternative innovations from Audi with the Q8 being the latest example of a split screen design, but you also have 3 separate displays in the car which is a bit of a mess IMO. The Instrument panel becomes a more important interface in this setup since it's closer to the driver's line of sight.

2018-Audi-Q8-Interior.jpg

Range Rover is also doing something similar.

img1893353548-1508777592538.jpg

But I think we can all agree that Lincoln's solution looks pretty dopey in comparison. Part of this is that Lincoln relies entirely on a scalable head-unit design from Ford and can't fund it's own custom solution.

2018-Lincoln-Navigator-front-interior-dr

maxresdefault.jpg

At least for now, the Navigator uses a unique screen that’s 10” vs 8” in all other FMC products. I think the Aviator also uses the bigger screen, so it is unique for now,

• Like 1

2019-bmw-x5-interior-cockpit.jpg
The new X5 is more Aviator in appearance, I think the biggest problem with the Aviator/Navigator is that they keep the LCD in more of a boxy ratio vs extending the LCD across the dash but making it more narrow.

Edited by jasonj80

At least for now, the Navigator uses a unique screen that’s 10” vs 8” in all other FMC products. I think the Aviator also uses the bigger screen, so it is unique for now,

It uses a larger screen but the same software and aspect ratio as a Transit Connect or EcoSport. It's still very much a modular component, it's designed to scale as opposed to the very specialized integrated systems in most luxury cars which are low volume and high dollar and were designed for a luxury car interior and features. I think it's a smart business model for Ford since it increases quality and availability of the feature, but for Lincoln it continues to make Lincoln look a step or two behind.

Edited by Assimilator

I think both the Lincolns look better than everything posted on here except the Mercedes. I dont mind the tablet look and Im willing to bet most of the younger population doesnt either. Its something they are familiar with. With that said, I dont use the touch screens anyway. AC I control 95% of the time with the steering wheel and the other 5% with physical buttons. Radio and phone are 100% steering wheel. I only use the screen for navigation and having the map higher up in my view is a plus.

I just learned that the 2020 Explorer is getting an optional Vertical or "Portrait" oriented screen on the center console. The main purpose is to allow for simultaneous Sync3 and CarPlay/Android Auto controls similar to the Volvo head-units (and the new RAM). Apparently the Aviator is not.

• Like 2

I think both the Lincolns look better than everything posted on here except the Mercedes. I dont mind the tablet look and Im willing to bet most of the younger population doesnt either. Its something they are familiar with. With that said, I dont use the touch screens anyway. AC I control 95% of the time with the steering wheel and the other 5% with physical buttons. Radio and phone are 100% steering wheel. I only use the screen for navigation and having the map higher up in my view is a plus.

I'd like to see the gauge cluster gain more features, including the maps/nav directions like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. are doing now.

I just learned that the 2020 Explorer is getting an optional Vertical or "Portrait" oriented screen on the center console. The main purpose is to allow for simultaneous Sync3 and CarPlay/Android Auto controls similar to the Volvo head-units (and the new RAM). Apparently the Aviator is not.

That would necessitate a larger (obviously vertically oriented) screen, no?

I'd like to see the gauge cluster gain more features, including the maps/nav directions like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. are doing now.

That would necessitate a larger (obviously vertically oriented) screen, no?

Ford could definitely update its gauge cluster. I recently drove a 2018 explorer platinum with the lcd cluster and I was amazed at how much more user friendly the 2 tiny lcd screens in the gauge cluster on my 13 fusion were.

With lcd gauge clusters, I also think theres an opportunity that all automakers are missing out on. People like to customize things. We change the background of our phones and tablets, people even spend real money on cosmetic items for video games, so why not try to tap into that and allow people to customize these gauges? How cool would that be to have a rectangular speedometer from the 70s, or maybe a digital speedo from the cougar in the 80s? Or something completely customizable, any color, shape, size and font as long as it meets safety requirements. Something similar to the Apple Watch and its many face options. With updates over WiFi now, itd be fairly simple for this to happen, and they might even be able to make a couple bucks. Ive been staring at the same screen for five years now. I wouldnt mind paying a few dollars for a change of scenery.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 2

2019-bmw-x5-interior-cockpit.jpg

The new X5 is more Aviator in appearance, I think the biggest problem with the Aviator/Navigator is that they keep the LCD in more of a boxy ratio vs extending the LCD across the dash but making it more narrow.

That's quite possibly the most butt-ugly abomination of a dash I've ever seen! Gonna be hard to get that image out of my mind!

• Like 1