Ford officially buys Michigan Central Station

I lifted this from the large article on the Ford Media website:

• Self-guided tour: Visitors will have rare access to the entire first floor of the train station with a self-guided tour that showcases images of what the train station once was, juxtaposed with how it looks today.

Well Fuzzy, what did you think?

I wish I could travel back to 1955 and see the place in its full glory. I knew the decay was bad, but I wasnt expecting it to be THAT bad (F*** you Matty Moroun).

I cant wait to see it finished in 4 years, but I will be surprised if it doesnt take longer.

I wish I could travel back to 1955 and see the place in its full glory. I knew the decay was bad, but I wasnt expecting it to be THAT bad (F*** you Matty Moroun).

I was inside when I was a kid, but have no memory of it. Whenever we went to a Tiger game, we'd park in front of the Train Station and walk to Tiger Stadium. I always looked at the place and wondered what it looked like inside. Maybe I'll get a chance in 2022.

But it is not a Ford only museum, Ford needs one that showcase it. Henry Ford is more of an industrial revolution museum. While I agree it and village are amazing in the Americana sense, they are not directly focused at all on Ford Motor Company.

The “Henry Ford”, even has a Chrysler Hemi powered 1932 Ford Roadster on display as the quintessential hot rod. Never mind that the Flathead Ford V8 was the cornerstone of hot rodding. Ford seems to be too eager to take it in the tailpipe from their rivals. I literally could not believe that even on hallowed Ford ground we aren’t safe from that kind of automotive rape.

FORD NEEDS A FORD FOCUSED MUSEUM! I agree.

The Henry Ford, even has a Chrysler Hemi powered 1932 Ford Roadster on display as the quintessential hot rod. Never mind that the Flathead Ford V8 was the cornerstone of hot rodding. Ford seems to be too eager to take it in the tailpipe from their rivals. I literally could not believe that even on hallowed Ford ground we arent safe from that kind of automotive rape.

FORD NEEDS A FORD FOCUSED MUSEUM! I agree.

Its my understanding Ford doesnt own the Henry ford museum any more. But I agree a dedicated ford museum would be cool.

Its my understanding Ford doesnt own the Henry ford museum any more. But I agree a dedicated ford museum would be cool.

Correct. Ford Motor Company has nothing to do with the Henry Ford. It's an independent organization. From their website:

The Henry Ford is an independent, 501©3 not-for-profit organization. We depend on ticket purchases, income from our gift shops and restaurants, and tax-deductible contributions and memberships for support.

Are you guys saying to me that a museum founded by Henry Ford in Dearborn Michigan should be compelled to display a Chrysler powered Ford classic and at the same time ignore the real engine that powered hot rodding called the Flathead V8?

Show me where there is a manufacturer founded museum anywhere else in the world that would promote the idea that a direct rival companys products supersede your own and then display that idea in the quintessential Ford body style to the clamoring masses.

The message is hey even we know Chrysler (and our arch rivals) do things better than us.

Cmon there are still Ford family members in major positions within the company. Their grandfather founded that museum. Henry Ford was a proud man. He smashed a damn prototype 6 cylinder car because it wasnt what he wanted. What do you think he would think of a 1932 Ford on display in his museum with a Chrysler engine?

Henry Ford would beat that thing to pieces with his sledge hammer and fire the people that decided Chrysler engineering should be portrayed as an upgrade in a Ford car in a Ford facility.

Thats a little much dont you think. I cant believe Edsel II doesnt have something to say about it.

Whats next a Fox bodied Mustang with a junkyard LS engine so they can inform the public how great Gm options are?

There is plenty of floor space in other areas of Detroit to display the achievements of the lesser makes.

I think if the Henry Ford wants to display the hot rodding culture they wouldnt have to search very long to find examples of classics with the engine that actually started the hot rodding craze, the Flathead Ford V8.

Edited by Stray Kat
  • Like 1

Henry Ford said of his museum:

I am collecting the history of our people as written into things their hands made and used.... When we are through, we shall have reproduced American life as lived, and that, I think, is the best way of preserving at least a part of our history and tradition..

I think if the Henry Ford wants to display the hot rodding culture they wouldnt have to search very long to find examples of classics with the engine that actually started the hot rodding craze, the Flathead Ford V8.

They may, some day. The exhibits change throughout the years and maybe someday they’ll have an exhibit that features the flathead Ford V8.

But this is not a Ford specific-museum. The Henry Ford documents the auto industry, and its impact, on the U.S and U.S. culture. You see everything from a 2002 Toyota Prius, to a Marysville, Ohio-produced 1983 Honda Accord, to a 1985 “Team Veraldi” Taurus. Historically significant vehicles, all three of them, in their own way, which is why they’re in this museum.

I'm not a fan of a corporation looking back so I don't mind if Ford never has its own Museum, which is why I like the relationship with The Henry Ford. But like most car makers, Ford is very much tied to its past and celebrates it frequently since it's fundamental to many vehicle brands.

As for a Ford-specific museum, for anybody interested in very early Ford history, the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant located in the Milwaukee Junction area of Detroit is a must-see. The birthplace of the Motel T. I havent been there in years but its a great place to see and witness early Ford history.

https://www.fordpiquetteplant.org/

I think they just redid a lot of it too