Cancelling a custom order

Space_racer003

Hey everyone,

A bit of background I had a Mustang GT PP2 custom ordered from a dealer. As many people are finding out, deliveries for cars not yet scheduled could easily be mid to late August if not later. I was fortunate enough to find a car at a dealer that was exactly what I had ordered but a 2018.

If my custom order hasnt been scheduled can it be cancelled with Ford? I only signed papers that the deposit would be non-refundable, which is fine. Its collateral. Do others have experience cancelling custom orders? Are there other things to look out for?

You don’t deal with Ford - your contract is with the dealer. The dealer can cancel it but you don’t have to worry about that.

Have you asked your dealer to see if they can do a dealer trade to get the one you found in stock? Often they can and you won’t lose your deposit.

• Like 1

Gotcha. Yeah, I attempted that so the original dealer I went to could have the sale. But the dealer with the car was dragging their feet with a response and I didnt want to lose the opportunity on it.

But sounds like no issues from my end.

Thanks for the response akirby!

When did you order it and how long did they tell you it would take (and is it in writing)?

Have you asked to get your deposit back? Most of the time they’ll give it back especially if it hasn’t been built yet.

They can’t keep your deposit forever if the car can’t be built. Here is what I would do if you really want the in stock vehicle and you don’t mind losing your deposit and the dealer won’t refund it right away.

Buy the new one. After 8 weeks from your original order date if the dealer can’t give you a VIN ask for your deposit back stating that you’ve waited a reasonable amount of time and they can’t tell you if or when it will get built.

The deposits are for the dealer's benefit, it's just a weeding tactic to make sure they have a sale instead of a fantasy order. Most of the time they can sell whatever the customer builds regardless, especially if it's hard to get which was the reason for the order. I never put deposits down for my Lincoln orders but I did when I was a new customer at my current dealer. I did have to get a deposit back at a Ford dealership after ordering an Explorer which I gave up for an Lincoln MKX instead (although it was literally the next day so the order never went through anyway). You're entitled to your money back whether the order is built or not. Most of the time they can't recall the order once placed, that system is a mess.

Edited by Assimilator

Most of the time they can't recall the order once placed, that system is a mess.

False. The only time I cant find an order is when the order number or dealer code is wrong. The system is not a mess. Most dealers dont bother teaching their salesmen how to use it so most dont even know it exists.

It's not uncommon for a dealer to refuse doing a swap with another dealer when they know it's for a customer that's contacted them about a specific vehicle and then they get a call from the other dealer wanting to know if the vehicle is available for swap/trade.

I've done dealer swaps on a Tremor and MKT. Both times, my salesman warned me not to make contact with the other dealer because if they think they have a customer, they won't swap it.

I also cancelled an ordered 16 Explorer Platinum because it kept getting "late availability" because it was a new model. With all the talk of Sync 3 coming, I decided to cancel and order an Expedition Platinum instead. My salesman said no problem, they would just put the Explorer in inventory.

• Like 1