Hyundai Grandmaster Full-size SUV Concept

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/08/hyundai-grandmaster-concept-full-size-suv/

hyundai-grandmaster-concept-001-1.jpghyundai-grandmaster-concept-002-1.jpghyundai-grandmaster-concept-005-1.jpg

There's the new design direction, which takes over from Fluidic Sculpture, which Hyundai hopes will create a more emotional bond with buyers. Sensuous Sportiness combines "proportion, architecture, styling, and technology," and design chief SangYup Lee wants it to move the carmaker "from being a brand that provides a great value, we will aspire to also become a brand that is widely beloved by our customers."

A production Grandmaster — which seems an eventuality based on winter spy shots of an unknown Hyundai earlier this year — would be a three-row, eight-seater replacing the Santa Fe XL and re-establishing Hyundai in the full-size segment.

The predicted Palisade name comes from a Hyundai trademark application filed earlier this year. As a sibling to the Kia Telluride, or perhaps riding on a revised Genesis G90/Kia K900 architecture, the Grandmaster/Palisade could end up on dealer lots as soon as next year, as a 2020 model.

I'm not impressed.

Can it pull 7000lbs up the Ike Gauntlet like the Ford Expedition? - Doubt that Korean dude with the cool shoes thought at all about that in the design room!

Not that too many people do that. As it stands-when you load up an Expedition, Suburban,etc with 6 or 7 passengers you will be pushing max payload once you hook up a 30 foot travel trailer behind it-regardless of tow rating.

That's the dirty little secret...payload.

Edited by CKNSLS

Not that too many people do that. As it stands-when you load up an Expedition, Suburban,etc with 6 or 7 passengers you will be pushing max payload once you hook up a 30 foot travel trailer behind it-regardless of tow rating.

That's the dirty little secret...payload.

I am well aware of how to calculate real towing capacity - and then there is the 2% deduction compounded over 11,000 ft at the top of the Ike. My point is, seems this thing is focusing on form, while Ford does of pretty darn good job of making sure the truck can actually do what a truck needs to do.

I am well aware of how to calculate real towing capacity - and then there is the 2% deduction compounded over 11,000 ft at the top of the Ike. My point is, seems this thing is focusing on form, while Ford does of pretty darn good job of making sure the truck can actually do what a truck needs to do.

What a truck needs to do varies by the owner. For some, it is a trip to Home Depot once a month. For others, it is towing heavy objects.

More often than not, it is the former rather than the latter. If someone makes a full-sized SUV without the ability to tow 7k pounds up Ike Gauntlet, it won't impact the vast majority of the buying public.

Come to my neighborhood. You'll full-sized SUVs in tons of driveways. Not a trailer in sight either. It's mostly Connecticut moms trying to outdo the next mom while making their way to Starbucks for another iced latte.

• Like 1

What a truck needs to do varies by the owner. For some, it is a trip to Home Depot once a month. For others, it is towing heavy objects.

More often than not, it is the former rather than the latter. If someone makes a full-sized SUV without the ability to tow 7k pounds up Ike Gauntlet, it won't impact the vast majority of the buying public.

Come to my neighborhood. You'll full-sized SUVs in tons of driveways. Not a trailer in sight either. It's mostly Connecticut moms trying to outdo the next mom while making their way to Starbucks for another iced latte.

That was my original point. It didn't even have a towing receiver in the back. I don't think this concept falls in the 'truck' category, and is definitely made to show of in the car pool line rather than do any real work. CUV's are the new cars, SUV's will be new CUV's, and trucks will always be trucks. This 'SUV' category is getting way to broad. Guess we have a new class being invented here; FCUV - Full Size CUV.

Oh, and the front range Colorado, populated by hundreds of thousands of fleeing Californians over the past 20 years is right up there with ANY "see me" population center. I always joke that I can't drop off or pick-up because a Ford is not permitted in the car pool line.

30 years ago, we called them station wagons.

Thats still what they are for most owners. We're just not allowed to call them that.

Either way - if this is the future - we need to take the U out of the acronym, as U stands for Utility, which implies it can do some work. I say this new class is:

CCCV Crossover, Carpool, Coffee Shop Vehicle.

I've towed a 4 x 8 foot loaded trailer to storage about 15 times and to the dump a few times. I've also loaded it down with moving boxes and brought home lots of furniture, mulch, pinestraw, etc. with my MKX. If that's not utility then I don't know what is.

I don't understand why some people think they get to decide which vehicle is appropriate for other people to drive.

Either way - if this is the future - we need to take the U out of the acronym, as U stands for Utility, which implies it can do some work. I say this new class is:

CCCV Crossover, Carpool, Coffee Shop Vehicle.

Utility doesnt mean towing though. It is a subset consideration.

By definition utility means: useful, especially through being able to perform several functions.

Even CUVs can perform a variety of functions. Hauling 5 people, bringing home your new tv or furniture, light-moderate towing, etc all while getting good mileage. Essentially a Swiss Army knife. A Swiss Army knife isnt as useful for each application as a dedicated tool, but it works well to cover basics of each use. THAT is why CUVs are so popular

Edited by blazerdude20

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Hyundai will ever try to complete with tow vehicles. That being said, Hyundai's market is those looking for long warranties and quality products. I don't think they are trying to directly compete with large SUV's from Ford/GM but offering their market a larger product for daily chores.

I don't think Hyundai will ever try to complete with tow vehicles. That being said, Hyundai's market is those looking for long warranties and quality products. I don't think they are trying to directly compete with large SUV's from Ford/GM but offering their market a larger product for daily chores.

I believe it's more about Hyundai offering a bigger product to up sell buyers into larger products

just like all the other manufacturers do.