Strip Musk of Tesla chairman role?

tbone

Apparently things arent all roses over at Tesla. It seems there are some that are questioning peoples ability to run an auto company.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Technology/wireStory/tesla-shareholders-reject-bid-strip-musk-chairman-role-55676119

I've never questioned his ability to run an auto company. It's been pretty clear he can't for at least a couple of years now.

• Like 2

It doesn't help he's thrown some temper tantrums on Twitter recently that makes him sound like a victim of the press despite the fact that enthusiastic media attention is feeding the investor machine keeping the company afloat.

I am very patient with Tesla, I hope it succeeds because it's an innovative business and I like to see innovation succeed. But I am no longer convinced Tesla is going to be here longterm now that it's lit a fire under its fast moving competition. I'm finding Tesla less and less appealing as they age without frequent updates. My first EV will probably be a Ford or Lincoln at this point since it's coming soon and I trust them to get it right and fairly priced.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

But I am no longer convinced Tesla is going to be here longterm now that it's lit a fire under its fast moving competition. I'm finding Tesla less and less appealing as they age without frequent updates. My first EV will probably be a Ford or Lincoln at this point since it's coming soon and I trust them to get it right and fairly priced.

I agree sir. When Model S came out, it was the first 21st century American made car by a U.S. company that got respect around the world. Now it seems Tesla's reputation is on the decline.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

I agree sir. When Model S came out, it was the first 21st century American made car by a U.S. company that got respect around the world. Now it seems Tesla's reputation is on the decline.

It's their own doing - trying to rush to produce the Model 3, skipping quality control steps (doing test runs/calibrating machines, etc) in an effort to "speed up" the process, which only results in it being slowed down when they do have problems that would've been discovered in the test phase.

• Like 1

People think that Tesla will suddenly fall over one day, my view is that it will survive

as long as investors still believe in Musk, his credibility takes a hit every now and then

but the circus moves on.....so long as the bills keep getting paid, Musk can keep on

jumping the shark....

People think that Tesla will suddenly fall over one day, my view is that it will survive

as long as investors still believe in Musk, his credibility takes a hit every now and then

but the circus moves on.....so long as the bills keep getting paid, Musk can keep on

jumping the shark....

I'm not sure about that. I think he's been given a pass waiting on the all mighty model 3 which was supposed to vault them into profitability. It they can't turn a profit now I think folks will start jumping ship especially investors.

I think the company can easily survive selling batteries and battery powered solutions, just not making vehicles.

It doesn't help he's thrown some temper tantrums on Twitter recently that makes him sound like a victim of the press despite the fact that enthusiastic media attention is feeding the investor machine keeping the company afloat.

I am very patient with Tesla, I hope it succeeds because it's an innovative business and I like to see innovation succeed. But I am no longer convinced Tesla is going to be here longterm now that it's lit a fire under its fast moving competition. I'm finding Tesla less and less appealing as they age without frequent updates. My first EV will probably be a Ford or Lincoln at this point since it's coming soon and I trust them to get it right and fairly priced.

I agree. I only see Tesla surviving as a brand of a larger parent company after Musk and co. are forced to sell the brand.

There's also the issue of electric vehicles are still very compromised compared to ICE vehicles (range, time to charge, availability of chargers) on top of requiring either a huge $$$ premium or massive govt subsidies to be profitable.

So what does that leave Tesla with? An eccentric, larger-than-life, snake oil salesmen of a CEO and a business model built on the premise and purpose of shaking down billions of dollars worth of crony capitalism funny money.

Now add in that the real car companies can/will crack the electric vehicle code and beat him at his own game, and it's game over.

Anyone who is surprised when the whole thing falls apart (be it suddenly or over the course of a few years) should really reevaluate their perception of reality.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

The thing about Tesla is that every decision looks like a bad decision until it's not and at what point does your patience run out to see if these are all good decisions in the end? I see a ton of obvious issues with their business strategy. Building capacity for sales based on the hype or pre-orders...but what happens when those pre-orders are filled or cancelled when the pricing reality becomes apparent to people who expect to pay $35,000 for a car that is actually twice that at check-out. What about their other high-margin products which are now old news and they don't have the money to update because they used it to spend on other things? There is just a massive amount of uncertainty piling up right now and they've done an incredible amount of damage by biffing this launch and failing to deliver on promises. Tesla's existence is remarkable because it's business model would never work at any other company, it's something powered by vision and hope instead of profit and results. They are reckless in more ways than one, from "Auto Pilot" to delivery times. I'm generally not a cynical person but even I don't like the lack of common sense here because it has the potential to ruin something that is making a difference...and dear God their fans drive me insane which is another turn-off. Tesla fans think the other car companies are lazy and evil. It's that cultish thinking that is also unsustainable.

Edited by Assimilator

I keep wondering how (if) they will manage replacing the X and S while developing new models and updating the 3. I suspect they dont plan on that - theyll keep evolving the current models marginally.

An electric Crown Vic.

I still think Model S looks really good. Model X on the other hand looks like a turd on wheels.
  • Like 2

If you cant make a profit on a model S starting at $75,000. How are you going to make a profit on a model 3 starting at $35,000? That would be like ford not makIng a profit of a platinum F-150 but expected to make a profit on an XL.

I like Teslas cars. Their products are pretty cool. However, like tons of people have said, its easy to make cool

Stuff and loose money. Its hard to make cool stuff at a profit.

If you cant make a profit on a model S starting at $75,000. How are you going to make a profit on a model 3 starting at $35,000? That would be like ford not makIng a profit of a platinum F-150 but expected to make a profit on an XL.

I like Teslas cars. Their products are pretty cool. However, like tons of people have said, its easy to make cool

Actually it came out recently that they most likely won’t sell many $35k model 3s because they can’t make money on them.

Not exactly the same because Ford sells hundreds of thousands of trucks and they only sell a few Model S.

They need volume to cover the overhead costs. But they underestimated how difficult it would be to ramp up production to higher volume.

Not exactly the same because Ford sells hundreds of thousands of trucks and they only sell a few Model S.

They need volume to cover the overhead costs. But they underestimated how difficult it would be to ramp up production to higher volume.

I understand that. But the big 3 have been saying how low priced EV cars dont make money. Look at the volt. It sells pretty well and from what I remember doesnt make any money. Is Tesla expecting to sell Prius amounts of model 3s? I just dont see how they can sell enough to make a profit in any recent time frame. It took Toyota years to get the Prius to the sales numbers it has. (Side note: god that new one is bowling show ugly) I still feel like if the $100k car doesnt make any money then how will the $40k.

A tid bit of info;

The Tesla Model S was the top selling plug-in electric car worldwide in 2015 and 2016,[24][26][27] and by the end of 2017 continued to rank as the second-most sold electric car in history after the Nissan Leaf.[23]

The thing about Tesla is that every decision looks like a bad decision until it's not and at what point does your patience run out to see if these are all good decisions in the end? I see a ton of obvious issues with their business strategy. Building capacity for sales based on the hype or pre-orders...but what happens when those pre-orders are filled or cancelled when the pricing reality becomes apparent to people who expect to pay $35,000 for a car that is actually twice that at check-out. What about their other high-margin products which are now old news and they don't have the money to update because they used it to spend on other things? There is just a massive amount of uncertainty piling up right now and they've done an incredible amount of damage by biffing this launch and failing to deliver on promises. Tesla's existence is remarkable because it's business model would never work at any other company, it's something powered by vision and hope instead of profit and results. They are reckless in more ways than one, from "Auto Pilot" to delivery times. I'm generally not a cynical person but even I don't like the lack of common sense here because it has the potential to ruin something that is making a difference...and dear God their fans drive me insane which is another turn-off. Tesla fans think the other car companies are lazy and evil. It's that cultish thinking that is also unsustainable.

I've read that 23% of model 3 customers have taken their deposit back.

I still think Model S looks really good. Model X on the other hand looks like a turd on wheels.

Agreed on both fronts. The S is a year older than the CD4 Fusion, and has had one mild MCE in the time the Fusion will have had two. Im less concerned about aesthetics though and more curious to see when/if it gets a more thorough redesign (platform etc).

It's interesting to me that neither Musk nor those with interest in/influence upon his company have realized that what Tesla needs is a Gwynne Shotwell. Gwynne is the President and C.O.O. of SpaceX, and is generally the person whose job is to translate Musk's high-concept ideals and desires into a pretty well-functioning (though far from perfect) company. And because she is known to be competent and business-savy, when investors and the like need someone to reassure them that SpaceX isn't off it's rocker they can go to her rather than trying to pierce Musk's personal reality bubble.

• Like 1