Next Gen Mustang has a 2022 Production date....

The Mustangs trunk isnt that small. I can fit two golf bags in the trunk. I can also fold down the rear seats and fit my bike in the trunk. Of course, I do have to remove the front wheel.

I would still not call the trunk of the Mustang "big" by any means though.

That's most cars. My Fusion is the same way, can't fit my bike in it without taking the front wheel off either.

So.....should I admit I was confused as to why you're taking the front wheel off the car to put the bike in? :drop::doh::idea::fool:

I'm not sure how many Midsize RWD utilities Ford can sell, if Edge moves to CD6 it would mean ALL of their vehicles above Escape will be RWD standard which makes it a terrible proposition for anybody concerned about all-weather traction that doesn't want to spend for AWD. I'm really curious to see what happens with Explorer but it seems like this is going to be targeting a smaller crowd than today with a preference for more premium shoppers.

Doesn't seem to hurt Grand Cherokee.

I think most CUV buyers concerned about traction go for AWD nowadays. Heck even buyers in the South seem to go for it more often than not where we don't really need it.

*Waves from the corner* :whistling:

(to be fair, I also didn't like the torque steer of the FWD model)

Except that in the home market, far more buyers want a V8 in their mustang than want a "GT-R Nismo" killer turbo six setup in their mustang.

It wouldn't be difficult at all for Ford to plop a 3.5 ecoboost in the mustang's engine bay. The V8 remains because that's what the market wants.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

C2 is FWD CD6.

?

and the mystery E1-architecture is cD6C2 with a battery surfboard stuck underneath?

Fiesta

Focus

Ecosport

Maverick

Edge

[color=red]Nautilus[/color]

MKC

[color=red]MKZ[/color]

= C2

Nautilus

Explorer

Aviator

ng-Continental-*IF*

Mach 1?

[color=red]Model E[/color]

Mustang

MARK

= CD6

maybe?

If the 3.5 EB is to make it into something, I would rather it be stuck into the fabled LincStang. It would make more sense there since there is no "legacy" to interfere with. And it would keep the Mustang intact for the faithful.

• Like 2

If the 3.5 EB is to make it into something, I would rather it be stuck into the fabled LincStang. It would make more sense there since there is no "legacy" to interfere with. And it would keep the Mustang intact for the faithful.

That'd be a good start, although an ecoboost V8 of 3.9L-4.5L displacement would be a lot better, if just for the exhaust note alone. V6s just aren't music to the ears the way a V8 is....

Plus they could use the same engine in the Navi since they're going to need one to complete with Caddy's new IRS/V8TT Escalade.

• Like 1

Except that in the home market, far more buyers want a V8 in their mustang than want a "GT-R Nismo" killer turbo six setup in their mustang.

I don't think that's limited to the US. The V8 is a big part of the Mustang's character. The Europeans weren't importing gray (grey?) market V6 Mustangs, after all.

I don't think that's limited to the US. The V8 is a big part of the Mustang's character. The Europeans weren't importing gray (grey?) market V6 Mustangs, after all.

Absolutely and in RHD countries the GT is about 80% or more of Mustang sales

You could sub the 2.3 EB for any of the V6 EBs and get more buyer interest

Edited by jpd80

• 2 weeks later...

And now a report saying it's a '21MY. If that's the case, I'd expect to see prototypes by next Summer (given the '20MY Explorers are being regularly spotted now).

http://fordauthority.com/2018/06/sources-say-all-new-ford-mustang-on-the-way-for-2021-based-on-the-explorers-cd6-platform/

"The all-new, seventh-generation Ford Mustang is on the way for the 2021 model year, and it will be based on the same shiny new CD6 platform that’s slated to underpin the 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator crossovers, according to sources familiar with The Blue Oval’s future product plans.

The CD6 architecture is understood to be much more flexible than existing Ford vehicle platforms, as it is capable of supporting automobiles of various shapes and sizes with either front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive configurations, and with either transversely- or longitudinally-mounted engine orientations. In the case of the 20201 Mustang, the CD6 architecture will be configured for rear-drive and a longitudinal powertrain orientation.

The current (S550) Ford Mustang rides on its own, unique platform that’s not shared with any other Ford Motor Company vehicle, so there’s plenty of money to be saved by shifting the next Mustang to a common platform. We can safely assume that the next-generation pony car – code-named “S650” – won’t depart drastically from the established formula, embracing rear-wheel-drive and a 2+2 layout, although Ford’s confirmed plans for a hybrid version of the new Mustang introduce new unknowns.

Apart from these scraps of intel, it’s been rumored that the S650 Mustang could make a priority of weight savings, leveraging Ford’s now-ample experience with aluminum to shed some pounds and compete more effectively with the Alpha platform-based Chevy Camaro.

Expect Ford’s 5.0L Coyote V8 to stick around, possibly with some additional improvements, alongside a new four-cylinder turbo engine. The latter of these is also expected to provide most of the propulsion for the forthcoming Mustang Hybrid, which Ford says will produce “V8 levels of performance and even more torque.”

Ford just recently revamped the existing S550 Mustang for the 2018 model year, three years after its initial debut, so its lifespan is looking significantly briefer than any Mustang before it – save for the not-too-fondly-remembered Mustang II. Notably, the majority of automakers today tend to adhere to an eight-year product cycle for most models"

• Like 1

What the article misses is that while the Mustang rides on a unique group of parts and stampings,

it draws it power train and electrical and suspension systems from F150 and CD4 vehicles.

Mustang is already plugged into cost savings, the unique parts of it are those things that cannot

be shared with a four door sedan.

...on the way for the 2021 model year, and it will be based on the same shiny new CD6 platform that’s slated to underpin the 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator crossovers...

That matches the 2020 calendar year that was reported some time ago - pulled up from 2022.

now how about that cD6 Z-replacement, "CD622", that had been set for a July2019 Job1 at one point...?

now how about that cD6 Z-replacement, "CD622", that had been set for a July2019 Job1 at one point...?

Here’s my guess....that was a fwd based replacement, timed and shared with the next Fusion, which we now know was killed for the US. Remember Autoline reported a year back the “MKZ is being dropped...now makes sense.

But there was a third Lincoln sedan in that original forecast...”Added a Sedan to the forecast for Lincoln with a program code of CD714, SOP of July 2020”

I’m thinking this one was always going to be RWD, and this timing makes sense with the recent Chinese Lincoln production schedule rumors we just had pop up. This now appears to be the next new sedan Lincoln gets, and by some reports, looks to be swoopy and sporty!

• Like 1

I'm curious about the "new four cylinder". The 2.0EB and 2.3EB have been around awhile.

If.......IF Ford bring the 2.7 or 3.5 TT into the next-gen Mustang (as well as, but not replacing the 5.0), I can see them replacing the 2.3 with a 2.0 4-cylinder.

At the moment, there's a pretty reliable source on M6G indicating the S650 is currently on indefinite hold (as the S550 is selling so well) and that in may be pushed back to '25MY (that seems crazy to me, but Ford (Hackett) have been doing crazy things of late!!) There have been so many rumors about the S650 that I don't know WHAT to believe :(

• Like 1

At the moment, there's a pretty reliable source on M6G indicating the S650 is currently on indefinite hold (as the S550 is selling so well) and that in may be pushed back to '25MY (that seems crazy to me, but Ford (Hackett) have been doing crazy things of late!!) There have been so many rumors about the S650 that I don't know WHAT to believe :(

I'm calling out bullshit, you don't delay updating your products because the current ones are selling so well. If anything you invest that $$$ into it keep it selling well.

The S197 sold great and the 2009 Update up the ante and pricing on them to make them an even nicer car. the S550 took it to another level to allow the car to be sold internationally. The current platform dates back almost 13 years ago (yeah it got a major update in 2015, but not a clean sheet design)

• Like 1

If.......IF Ford bring the 2.7 or 3.5 TT into the next-gen Mustang (as well as, but not replacing the 5.0), I can see them replacing the 2.3 with a 2.0 4-cylinder.

I'm sorry, that's idiotic if that's their reasoning.