Next Gen Mustang has a 2022 Production date....

The Challenger is also a 5-seater........but that 'aint what we're talking about ;)

A hybrid S550 would surely be a compromise......much better to "design it in" to the S650, even if it's delivered 2 years later.

I just hope they don't let S550 soldier on for another 4 years without further updates.

And Ford had little problem moving 2005 to 2014 Mustang, it was Gen 5 Camaro that made Ford do more with Mustang.

Challenger is different, it's a larger more practical car with a different client base.

Though the 2005 was a genius design and the refresh was pretty dramatic with an entirely new interior and front and end. I have a 2007 and my spouse has a 2014 - they seem very different. And the tail lights on the 2014 are one of my favorite tailights, an improvement over those short lived candy cane taillights after the 1st refresh.

2023 is a long time, then again they may have enough sales overseas to keep the plant busy through then.

• Like 1

sidebar

with all the talk about profit-margin-profitability[= more $$ for the 1%ers?]

could the reason Ford has been sooo stingy with RotW-Stangs is cuz the shipping wipes out most-if-not-all profit?

even with the RotW-pricing?

&

wondering if that can be fixed? ...if we ever need vehicles[cars] built elsewhere?

Edited by 2b2

sidebar

with all the talk about profit-margin-profitability[= more $$ for the 1%ers?]

could the reason Ford has been sooo stingy with RotW-Stangs is cuz the shipping wipes out most-if-not-all profit?

even with the RotW-pricing?

&

wondering if that can be fixed? ...if we ever need vehicles[cars] built elsewhere?

Home room basically sells the Mustang to FOE/FOA at full price, all shipping and import costs go to end user.

GT Premium LHD - CDN$49K when the delivered RHD version ends up AUS$65K

(Aussie$ and Canadian $ are almost equal)

We don't complain about the fact that the factory RHD Mustang is more expensive than the LHD,

we're still miles ahead of the GM Guys and their post factory RHD conversions, they're way more expensive.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

TY^

what's "Home room"?

The region that designs/ manufactures the vehicles,

They usually get to keep most of the profit on exports

The RHD / Euro reg vehicles -those countries all pay

for development costs of those models ?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Presumably Mustang is going to be on the CD6 Unibody RWD flexible architecture which Ford talked about in the "Uncovered" event, the first example of which is arriving as the 2020 Aviator/Explorer. This is actually a major step forward for Mustang, the first shared Mustang platform since the Fox Body. CD6 certainly gives Lincoln more tools to make a suitable exotic sports car which it never had with any of the previous Mustangs. The Mustang has long been a very locked down and highly specialized platform with no room for Lincoln to civilize.

I don't think Lincoln really has the customers for a performance car, and their brand image as we know it today certainly would be at odds with a Mustang Lincoln. I still think we will see other opportunities open up for performance crossovers in both Hybrid and EV form that will give Lincoln something more exciting to play with than a posher Mustang. Lincoln has never been a performance brand, but it has always been a brand of confident performance, elegance, and technical amenities. Mustang works because it's a well sustained cultural institution, Lincoln would be appearing out of thin air with no reason to exist and the barrier to entry is gigantic for them. Lincoln has so many bigger fish to fry right now.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

I think Lincoln could sell a performance model. If Hyundai and Kia can launch performance models successfully, there's no reason Lincoln couldn't. It's not like Lincolns are regarded as bad cars. The brand's image in buyers minds is they make nice cars, but they're not very exciting or youthful. Do a performance model right, and buyers would take notice of the positive press and embrace it as a car that combines Lincoln's upscale image with mustang performance DNA. Buyers would be a mix of traditional Lincoln customers (if you haven't noticed, not even 65 year old boomers want to be seen in a stodgy old man's car), people who want a mustang but aren't quite satisfied with the level of luxury offered by the Ford/Mustang brand, and true conquest sales of people who are just into the latest fast cars. No, it wouldn't take down BMW or Audi, but it would add a nice amount of incremental sales to Mustang platform/assembly line.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 2

I just hope they don't let S550 soldier on for another 4 years without further updates.

You would think with Mustang being the only "sedan" left, they would give it more attention than in the past and not allow it to become stale.

• Like 2

As of 4 months ago this was totally false, however the whole industry is freaking out with the tariffs and trying to figure out what to do with production so it could be true. MKZ replacement, Continental and Mustang were all going to be at FRAP, I could see the next Continental going to the CD6 plant in China for China only sales (I could even see Mustang production in China for local and better trade agreement countries). Manufactures are also leaning up for the coming recession so this could be slowing capital to weather that and come out on the other side with new product like Ford did with the last recession. Launch Volume product in the recession to take share and launch specialty products after when disposable income is higher and people are willing to show a little flash with their purchases.

• Like 1

You would think with Mustang being the only "sedan" left, they would give it more attention than in the past and not allow it to become stale.

Part of this equation is going to come down to how the cars Mustang competes against react to the new market reality. If the other pony cars and imports that Mustang is battling scale back their refresh cycle to save money, Ford likely will take a somewhat similar route. On the other hand, it's possible some of them will crank up the refresh tempo in order to compete more effectively, in which case it will be interesting to see how aggressively Ford responds.

I think Lincoln could sell a performance model. If Hyundai and Kia can launch performance models successfully, there's no reason Lincoln couldn't. It's not like Lincolns are regarded as bad cars. The brand's image in buyers minds is they make nice cars, but they're not very exciting or youthful. Do a performance model right, and buyers would take notice of the positive press and embrace it as a car that combines Lincoln's upscale image with mustang performance DNA. Buyers would be a mix of traditional Lincoln customers (if you haven't noticed, not even 65 year old boomers want to be seen in a stodgy old man's car), people who want a mustang but aren't quite satisfied with the level of luxury offered by the Ford/Mustang brand, and true conquest sales of people who are just into the latest fast cars. No, it wouldn't take down BMW or Audi, but it would add a nice amount of incremental sales to Mustang platform/assembly line.

I've been waiting for such a car. The 3.0TT is nice, but not the answer. A Coyote powered Lincoln would be awesome! MK VII sold well because of the 5.0/Mustang connection, while being a Luxury car.

As of 4 months ago this was totally false, however the whole industry is freaking out with the tariffs and trying to figure out what to do with production so it could be true. MKZ replacement, Continental and Mustang were all going to be at FRAP, I could see the next Continental going to the CD6 plant in China for China only sales (I could even see Mustang production in China for local and better trade agreement countries). Manufactures are also leaning up for the coming recession so this could be slowing capital to weather that and come out on the other side with new product like Ford did with the last recession. Launch Volume product in the recession to take share and launch specialty products after when disposable income is higher and people are willing to show a little flash with their purchases.

I dont think Ford will ever split up Mustang production. I think they love the idea of it being built in one plant. It makes it more special that way.
  • Like 1

I dont think Ford will ever split up Mustang production. I think they love the idea of it being built in one plant. It makes it more special that way.

Depends on the tariffs and sales potential, it is going to come down to dollars and cents. Where you do you sell most of them at and what is the cost of second production to avoid outside factor costs. I could see Chinese Mustang sales overtake those in the US by 2025. If China starts hitting 150K Mustang sales it makes more sense to build them there. At an average of $30,000 USD for can save $675 million per year in just tariffs/ model year. That makes the avg car at a $30,000 sticker $4500 cheaper AND have much lower transportation costs. So they can continue to charge the same with the tariff included and have massive more profit or lower the vehicle price and expand sales.

I also could see if TC and such is going to FRAP that it gets moved to Chicago. Next years contract will say a lot about future product.

Spiting the production will also do terrible things to plant utilization at Flat Rock, which actually will spell doom for Mustang production there. The worldwide market for sports coupe is not that big... I can't see how Ford will ever need more than one production site for Mustang.

• Like 2

Spiting the production will also do terrible things to plant utilization at Flat Rock, which actually will spell doom for Mustang production there. The worldwide market for sports coupe is not that big... I can't see how Ford will ever need more than one production site for Mustang.

The same thing would happen at MAP if they decide to add Bronco production at a second plant elsewhere in the world.

cD6 has been presented as One-Fifth[?] of their future architectures

there's gotta be more than Explorer/Aviator/Mustang on it OR

it won't last very long

Edited by 2b2

cD6 has been presented as One-Fifth[?] of their future architectures

there's gotta be more than Explorer/Aviator/Mustang on it OR

it won't last very long

I don't see how it cant have Edge/Nautilus on it too, despite the talk that C2 can accommodate "up to Edge size vehicles."