Goodbye Continental

Has anything the site video said about Ford true and confirmed or is this just speculation on the site's part? I find it interesting that the next Transit Connect is apparently going to be built at Flat Rock in 2021. Never heard of plans for that there as I thought it would be in Mexico. Also, I thought the next generation Mustang was coming in CY2020 as MY2021? The site says 2022. If that's true, then it makes sense to have the new Shelby GT500 come out in 2020 so it can be a two-model year trim (2020 and 2021).

So, will it be manufactured in China for their domestic market??

Looks like it since it's sells big there.

Is that the first time TC was identified as the autonomous vehicle?

Assimilator mentioned it a few days ago and I was questioning where he his info came from.

Again, that plant is going to need serious building renovation to be able to fit a taller vehicle like a van in there.

Assimilator mentioned it a few days ago and I was questioning where he his info came from.

Again, that plant is going to need serious building renovation to be able to fit a taller vehicle like a van in there.

I was just speculating, we don't have a described form factor for their promised AVs but vans seem to be the form of choice for 3rd party developers like Waymo who just bought 63,000 Pacificas. It doesn't seem to be a stretch to see a Hybrid version of the next-gen Transit Connect being built at FlatRock for their Autonomous cargo and passenger fleet.

As for Continental, this is a REALY persistent rumor and Joy Folotico is a little cryptic about the Continental's future. I'm sure they are exploring options for the brand, it would be great to see it on a flagship crossover like the Audi Q8. I know I've had absolutely zero interest in the Continental personally, but as a sexier 2-Row flagship utility I would absolutely consider it over the Aviator.

My opinion is that Lincoln plans to completley leave the sedan business with Ford, this is still a brand that's TINY and losing money and the Chinese are shifting to utilities and EVs as well. It makes NO sense to invest in where the market was when they were never really there in the first place! Onward and Upward!

Edited by Assimilator

I don't see them walking away from luxury sedans because they have a higher margin even though volume is lower. I could see them going midsize only or midsize with a LWB option but I just don't see them dropping it.

They might drop MKZ as an interim measure to free up Hermosillo when they kill Fusion if a new CD6 sedan isn't ready yet.

It's a shame if this is true - just as they get a platform that could allow them to make a striking model (like the concept) with great proportions, they'll drop it.

Granted it's an SUV in these crossover/SUV times, but Navigator proves that Lincoln can command prices going up into the 6 digits if the product is done right/worth it.

• Like 1

Luxury sedans are a shrinking business and Lincoln's volume is FAR too low for their 'value' pricing to sustain the investment. Even when you consider how poorly Lincoln sells in the US, it's incredibly small on a global scale relative to its competition which has far more profit and money to work with as a result. Reportedly all Lincoln cars are LOSING money, which is one of the reasons they are quickly killing the Continental. This was the same story with the Lincoln LS which was hemorrhaging money. That's why I always found Continental to be a dubious investment despite the splash it made in the press. I strongly believe Lincoln needs to become an SUV brand first and foremost and should identify itself in that context. They definitely need a major overhaul moving forward and Aviator/Navigator/Nautilus is a perfect pivot point to rebrand themselves. It's more modern, progressive, and exciting and perfectly natural for them with the strength of Navigator.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

I always thought the business case for Continental was in China, not North America.

MKZ volume is ok if it had higher ATPs but there are certainly other projects with higher priority and they'll have to kill it or move it to FRAP to make room in Hermosillo.

• Like 2

Galhotra, before he left Lincoln, said that the SUV transition in China is happening quicker than the US so they likely see things changing there as well. I know the Ford Taurus has been a failure in China with sales falling under 1,000 a month and shrinking rapidly. The reality is that Ford probably saw this happening before Continental landed but crossed their fingers and hoped for the best. They just had bad timing. I suspect Ford just wants to get rid of all the CD4 cars and move onto their new platforms as quickly as possible which are more cost effective and can be fitted with their all-new Hybrid power-packs. And while they are at it, get rid of the underperforming products and move over to utility form factors for all.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Just had a horrible thought.

The new name for the MKC...... Continental.....

Take it away,

IT BURNS!!!!

IT BURNS!!!!

IT BURNS!!!! I

Still find it funny we are going to have the styles similar to the autos just before and after WWII, only they are called CUV and SUVs.

Is Ford now planning to build Autonomous TC in the existing FRAP or across the road in a new plant?

If TC is in a new plant, what is being built with Mustang when it switches to CD6 in 2022?

If cars are gone, could Ford build NG Flex / MKT on CD6 and run them out of FRAP?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Is Ford now planning to build Autonomous TC in the existing FRAP or across the road in a new plant?

Unsure. I took a bike ride by there a few days ago. The new building looks way too small to be a final assembly building, not to mention its a good 1/2 mile away from the main plant. I think the new building is going to be R&D and final calibration for the AV program.

If TC is in a new plant, what is being built with Mustang when it switches to CD6 in 2022?

again, unsure, but it lends credence to the theory that C2 is just the FWD version of CD6.

If cars are gone, could Ford build NG Flex / MKT on CD6 and run them out of FRAP?

MKT is 100% for sure dead with Aviator making it redundant. There is zero indication that Flex gets a 2nd generation either. Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 2

They may also have a facility for retrofitting products that come off the assembly plant.

The Transit Connect isn't exactly a big seller so I'm not sure if local production makes much sense but that might change with AV. It all seems like a big gamble right now.

Edited by Assimilator

MKT is 100% for sure dead with Aviator making it redundant. There is zero indication that Flex gets a 2nd generation either.

Not so fast....MKT Town Car is making them $$$ even at its reduced volume and if MKT Town Car goes, the loss to the "black car" market is not something I believe Aviator could fill. Aviator is aimed at a different audience for sure. Drop the MKT portion of the name and continue production as is (maybe another face lift) with just the moniker of Town Car...

Edited by twintornados

They may also have a facility for retrofitting products that come off the assembly plant.

That is what I think the new building in Flat Rock will also be used for.

The Transit Connect isn't exactly a big seller.

that is because its a PITA to get one because of the shipping time. Local production makes it so much easier to sell more because dealers will be able to carry stock of more than just 1 at a time and be able to get them in a reasonable amount of time.