Airbag Recall - Free Rental

I've been teaching my bestfriends daughter in a empty parking lot, but I'm teachinig her the limits of vehicles. Between the LS, the MKX, her grandmothers Rav4 which feals like a rattle death trap, her fathers Fusion, she's learning ALL the "feels" of all these RWD, FWD, AWD vehicles. The other day I taught her panic ABS stops and how to steer accordingly. One of my first tips, "If it's a Panther platform, or a truck DON'T hit it it's BOF, aim for the Toyota and Hondas those you have better chances of LOL Then my second one (If it's THEIR fault and they pull out in front of you, AIM for the drivers door, teach them a lesson for life)... I make it fun with her which is why shes never stressed.

Biggest issue is panicking when they're not sure what to do. Controlling the vehicle and learning the rules comes pretty quickly.

Teach her to expect the unexpected - watch out for other drivers, pedestrians, animals, etc. And don't follow too closely - leave at least 2-3 seconds. 23 yr old daughter still follows too closely even after totaling her car at 16 when she didn't see cars stopped in front of her turning. Drives me crazy.

The real problem is when they've been driving by themselves for a little while and start to think they're invincible and that nothing will happen to them. Until it does.

WOW, I can still recall my Dad trying to teach me to drive. I ended up going to driving school. I learned on a 65 Chevy with manual transmission.

Biggest issue is panicking when they're not sure what to do. Controlling the vehicle and learning the rules comes pretty quickly.

Teach her to expect the unexpected - watch out for other drivers, pedestrians, animals, etc. And don't follow too closely - leave at least 2-3 seconds. 23 yr old daughter still follows too closely even after totaling her car at 16 when she didn't see cars stopped in front of her turning. Drives me crazy.

The real problem is when they've been driving by themselves for a little while and start to think they're invincible and that nothing will happen to them. Until it does.

Following too close is one of my pet peeves. I was taught to count the distance, and if it's less than 2 seconds, you're too close.

But yeah, the hardest part is going to be teaching them to expect the unexpected, and to be prepared WHEN something bad happens (not IF). And to NEVER become complacent behind the wheel.

Another important lesson - if an animal runs out in front of you and you're going more than 40 mph - don't swerve, just hit it.

My wife is bad for that. A squirrel runs out in front of us when I'm driving and she screams and freaks out. I just let off the gas and hope I don't get blood on my tires. I'll actually hit the brakes for larger animals though, but never swerve at speed.

My wife is bad for that. A squirrel runs out in front of us when I'm driving and she screams and freaks out. I just let off the gas and hope I don't get blood on my tires. I'll actually hit the brakes for larger animals though, but never swerve at speed.

After having squirrels invade our attic and paying to get rid of them, I might actually swerve to hit one. Damn bushy tailed rats.

Well, after my wife bringing home a 2018 Focus with 1300 miles on the clock, they now say my daughter isn't allowed to drive because "she's too young to drive a rental car." Then why didn't you say that when I specifically asked earlier! :(

So, now I guess we either take our chances or just take it back. My wife doesn't want to drive the Focus every day if there's no need, and I don't blame her. Sigh, why is it never easy.

Also, any word on when the latest model Rangers get recalled for the airbags? I know the 05/06 Rangers are supposedly the most unsafe. And a lot of other 2010/2011 Fords are included in the recall. So I figure it's only a matter of time before I get a letter for my 2011 Ranger.

I have 5 vehicles and 4 license plates for only 2 drivers, but you better believe I'll take a rental if they offer one lol!

That sucks! Any word how long until the parts are in?

The letter says Q2 or Q3 2018, so possibly as late as 9/30/2018 (or as early as 2 months ago :)).

Also, any word on when the latest model Rangers get recalled for the airbags? I know the 05/06 Rangers are supposedly the most unsafe. And a lot of other 2010/2011 Fords are included in the recall. So I figure it's only a matter of time before I get a letter for my 2011 Ranger.

I have 5 vehicles and 4 license plates for only 2 drivers, but you better believe I'll take a rental if they offer one lol!

I'm not sure on the Rangers, but ours is a 2010.

It goes all the way to 2011. Im surprised you havent gotten a letter yet.

Well, after my wife bringing home a 2018 Focus with 1300 miles on the clock, they now say my daughter isn't allowed to drive because "she's too young to drive a rental car." Then why didn't you say that when I specifically asked earlier! :(

So, now I guess we either take our chances or just take it back. My wife doesn't want to drive the Focus every day if there's no need, and I don't blame her. Sigh, why is it never easy.

at least its a 2018 and hasnt had much time to be ruined yet, though a lot of the worst trans problems have been mostly worked out by 2017.

It goes all the way to 2011. Im surprised you havent gotten a letter yet.

I ran the VIN the other day and no active recalls. I've owned it since new so it's not like it was fixed before I got it.

I did a little digging and it appears that 10/11 Rangers are pretty low on Ford's "triage" list so I'm thinking they're just trying to fix the stuff with a documented higher injury/fatality rate first

I ran the VIN the other day and no active recalls. I've owned it since new so it's not like it was fixed before I got it.

I did a little digging and it appears that 10/11 Rangers are pretty low on Ford's "triage" list so I'm thinking they're just trying to fix the stuff with a documented higher injury/fatality rate first

Code for older and more likely to explode in someones face

Another hard lesson to learn is that the throttle will get you out of trouble way more often than the brake will; the brake will most of the time make the trouble worse.

You also need to let her drive the Superduty, learning on something big will show how different a bigger car handles.

And start saving money now, you'll need it for when your insurance goes up.

• Like 1

I had a real oh shit moment Memorial Day weekend. Following a mini van through some VT roads about 45mph single lane highway type roads in the mountains... it slams on the brakes because a squirrel was in the middle of his lane almost coming to a complete stop. Me behind them with my 40ft 5th wheel and all of about 23,000lbs trying to stop because that damn van stopped for a squirrel... Boy I was pissed.

• Like 1

When I took a defensive driving class they offered at work, they heavily emphasized not serving to miss animals because we'd just lost two employees coming back from a conference when the driver swerved to miss a deer and hit a tree instead. As they said, animals are much softer than trees, and you always want to hit the softer obstacle is you're going to hit anything.

A few years later, three or four of my boss's son's classmates died when a front seat passenger(!) grabbed the wheel to swerve around a squirrel.

If I can brake to avoid an animal in the road, I might, but I don't swerve to miss them, and that goes double for bushy-tailed tree rats. (Especially those suicidal little bastards who run back and forth in the lane.) A trash panda did $5K of damage to my LS a few years ago (it got the front bumper cover and the AC condenser), but when I'm running 75mph down the turnpike, I'm not swerving for anything other than a semi...

• Like 1

I have a question about this notice. If you read it one way, it says I should wait for Ford to send me a letter that they have the parts, and then I should schedule maintenance and a rental. But if you read it another way, it says I should contact them to get a rental through them and then the parts will come in, etc. Which is it and if its the latter, should I contact my dealer now?

I have a question about this notice. If you read it one way, it says I should wait for Ford to send me a letter that they have the parts, and then I should schedule maintenance and a rental. But if you read it another way, it says I should contact them to get a rental through them and then the parts will come in, etc. Which is it and if its the latter, should I contact my dealer now?

It is the latter. You can contact your dealer now and get the rental, and you will be notified when your parts are in and the car can be fixed. You could have the rental for months while waiting for the parts.

It says IF you need a rental (because you regularly drive with a passenger) they're willing to give you one free of charge. But you don't have to use it if you drive alone or don't need to drive the vehicle until parts are ready. It's optional - they're just telling you it's available if you want/need it.

Thanks for the info. I dont drive with a passenger every day but it kind of makes me uncomfortable to not have that ability, particularly as I watch my nieces and nephew once a week. Plus I wouldnt mind driving another car for awhile. Thanks guys!

It says IF you need a rental (because you regularly drive with a passenger) they're willing to give you one free of charge. But you don't have to use it if you drive alone or don't need to drive the vehicle until parts are ready. It's optional - they're just telling you it's available if you want/need it.

Right.

We're likely going to just take our rental back since we've not been able to work out an agreement where my daughter could drive the rental. My wife just drives the car to work without a passenger (now that my daughter is out of school for the summer), and she would rather drive her car than a rental. She is going to drive it for a few days at least to make picking it up worthwhile. And they did agree to keep our car inside their (now defunct) body shop, so that's a plus. :)