Airbag Recall - Free Rental

We are having this issue right now with our Fusion. It is parked in the garage, and we have been assigned a car by enterprise rent a car which will not allow our permitted driver (15 yr old son) who is scheduled for his first behind the wheel training next week to drive the car. We only have one more vehicle (4 wheel drive extended cab truck) that is newer that he will not be “practicing” in. Any suggestions?  Dealership pretty much stated  tough-sit and wait for the repair whenever that may be,  we don’t have other options for you.

13 minutes ago, DBZB said:

We are having this issue right now with our Fusion. It is parked in the garage, and we have been assigned a car by enterprise rent a car which will not allow our permitted driver (15 yr old son) who is scheduled for his first behind the wheel training next week to drive the car. We only have one more vehicle (4 wheel drive extended cab truck) that is newer that he will not be “practicing” in. Any suggestions?  Dealership pretty much stated  tough-sit and wait for the repair whenever that may be,  we don’t have other options for you.

Hi DBZB. As far as the Dealer/recall provided rental, your options are pretty limited.  Borrow a car from another family member/friend for him to practice in, or return the rental and drive your Fusion (which is what I would do). One of my cars is a 2007 Lincoln MKZ covered under the recall, and I have elected not to take the rental.

If you allow him to practice in the rental and he is involved in an accident, you will be financially liable.

Keep us updated and good luck.

15 minutes ago, DBZB said:

Suggestion?  Sit and wait, just like the dealership said.  That's about all you can do unless you want to chance driving with a potentially fatal airbag.  We have a third vehicle, our '09 Flex, that my daughter has driven a few times.  It's definitely not something easy to learn on due to it's size and relatively poor visibility.  We've had a rental for going on 6 months now.  Free mileage is nice, but we just want to be able to use our car again.

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

Suggestion?  Sit and wait, just like the dealership said.  That's about all you can do....

Unfortunately, that's about it. When I was 19 or 20, an old dude ran a stop sign and knocked the rear end out from under my truck. His insurance was going to pay for a rental, but the rental company said FU, we don't rent to anyone under 21. Didn't matter that I needed the truck to get to work and school, I was just SOL until I got my truck fixed.

15 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Suggestion?  Sit and wait, just like the dealership said.  That's about all you can do unless you want to chance driving with a potentially fatal airbag.  We have a third vehicle, our '09 Flex, that my daughter has driven a few times.  It's definitely not something easy to learn on due to it's size and relatively poor visibility.  We've had a rental for going on 6 months now.  Free mileage is nice, but we just want to be able to use our car again.

Try learning in an Expedition without a backup camera!

51 minutes ago, WillSD said:

Parts are available on open order for 2011 Ranger under FSA 16S26 . Have you had a dealer run an OASIS on your VIN ?

Nope. I ran the VIN at Ford's site and it said no open recalls. It hasn't had a plate on it for over a year now (I only drive it in the summer and never got around to switching plates this year so it just spent the summer in the barn). Maybe that's why I haven't received a notice? I did find out my 2001 Ranger that I turbocharged last year somehow still has the cruise switch recall from 2008 open though. Perhaps a trip to the dealer is in order to see about both. I'm afraid they're going to refuse to touch the 2001 since it's been modified so heavily.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

7 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Well, I learned to drive in full-size pickup by backing the boat trailer down the ramp when I was 14. :) 

I also learned to drive at age14 in a dump truck. It was my grandfather's truck used for trash pick-up in our town. When full, we (I) drove to a ravine in the "country" and dumped the load in the ravine. We then got out of the truck with our 22 rifles and shot at the rats in the ravine. This area in my old home town is now a subdivision in the expanded city limits. I often wonder if the people living there know they are located over an old garbage dump!

And by the way, this was not in Arkansas where I now reside, it was in Illinois.

Edited by DeeCee

On 11/24/2018 at 11:53 PM, Rapdk said:

I’m shocked my wife’s 2012 escape didn’t get a recal 

On 11/26/2018 at 5:57 AM, twintornados said:

Why?

You ask why. Do you know something about the 2012 Escape airbags? Because I to have a 2012 Escape and am shocked it wasn't recalled. 

8 minutes ago, K270 said:

You ask why. Do you know something about the 2012 Escape airbags? Because I to have a 2012 Escape and am shocked it wasn't recalled. 

Yes,  I did ask why....did either you or Rapdk bother checking on the NHTSA website to check via VIN if your vehicles were even part of the recall?? Or, go down to the dealership to verify if your Escape was included in said recall?? Here's an idea, it was either already addressed prior to you owning it, or it doesn't have the airbags that needed to be recalled...