Ford May 2018 Sales - Up 1%

unverified-by-me/hearsay, correction to correction halo2.gif

That could be true (Toyota using incentives to stem losses) but I think all car makers

would be considering their options, Ford clearly less so with regards to Fusion (I like that. :))

I'm hanging out to see June 1 inventory numbers, I recall Escape was over 80,000 on May 1.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

The refresh looks completely different than the pre refresh. The Fusion pinched the grille and that was it.

Really? I think most would have a hard time picking out a pre MCE Edge from a post, except for the stupid black panel on the tailgate.

The rotary gear selector is strange - why have it when it really doesn’t free up space on the console? Lincoln’s dash mounted push buttons are a nice solution. Other than the silly rotary shifter the 8 speed is the only notable change. The 2.0 has been available since the current model’s launch and the changes to the front and rear are slight. The Edge will be hard pressed to avoid double digit % sales losses when the new Explorer and Escape come out next year.

The shop of the grill may not have changed much but the insert style has especially the ST giving it a different look. Definitely more change than the Fusion. I like the rotary dial Agreed it doesn't free up space which was an excuse to make it seem like a practical reason Autos were designed to emulate sticks but there is be reason for them to do that anymore but I do think they could free up console space by moving the dial elsewhere Ford probably didn't want to confuse the dim masses too much though. Probably will move when interiors get redesigned agajn

The shape of the grill may not have changed much but the insert style has especially the ST giving it a different look. Definitely more change than the Fusion. I like the rotary dial Agreed it doesn't free up space which was an excuse to make it seem like a practical reason Autos were designed to emulate sticks but there is be reason for them to do that anymore but I do think they could free up console space by moving the dial elsewhere Ford probably didn't want to confuse the dim masses too much though. Probably will move when interiors get redesigned agajn

The "Elite" badge adds a new set of 20-inch wheels, body-colored trim, and a "premium" skid plate

Changes to the 2019 Ford Edge:
  • Performance-oriented ST trim level replaces Edge Sport
  • New 8-speed automatic transmission for SE, SEL, and Titanium trims
  • Standard stop/start technology on all trims for improved fuel efficiency
  • Greater availability of driver-assistive technologies

A handful of driver-assistive technologies are standard on the 2019 Edge, such as lane-departure warning

and lane-keeping assist systems, blind-spot and rear cross-traffic alert systems, automatic emergency braking,

automatic high-beam headlights, and with even more features available as options.

Ford didn’t reinvent the Edge’s interior for 2019 but certainly gave it a few welcomed updates. In fact, all the

changes take place in the center console. The shift lever has been replaced with a rotary shift knob similar to

the 2018 Ford Expedition. As such, the knob frees up extra space in the console, allowing for vertically mounted

cup holders along the right side and a coin tray along the bottom. Buttons for the automatic start/stop system and

parking aids are located below the shifter, along with the electronic parking brake.

Inside the hidden storage compartment under the HVAC controls lies a wireless phone charger and two USB ports.

The new physical smartphone integration goes along with the new FordPass system. It is Ford’s Wi-Fi hotspot with

bandwidth for 10 devices. FordPass also allows the owner to access the vehicle via their smartphone. Services

include operating door locks, locating the vehicle, and even starting it up.

Ford’s SYNC 3 infotainment system now comes with Amazon Alexa integration. Called Ford+Alexa, the software

works like a standard Alexa personal assistant, letting users voice-control various things like calendar entries,

navigation controls, smart home features, and several in-vehicle things like radio settings and media content.

This all takes place within the standard 8.0-inch touchscreen display.

Executed correctly the rotary shifter really doesn' take much space, it's smaller than a cup holder. Lincoln does it in a nice way, but I think I saw one review of a Chevy crossover, maybe Buick where honestly, it took so much real estate they reviewer addressed it for a while. Acura also has this "Valley" of buttons, pull, push, click etc... that take up just as much space as a regular shifter and would make Helen Keller cringe.

And then they brought up that "Auto Stop/Start" thing...which lately in some newer cars ie beyond annoying. A friends Jeep Cherokee V6 I think is beyond the worst where the whole car shudders and is quite obvious. Some others like an MKC I had as a loaner was much more muted. Although in FL it doesn't last long because the A/C is on full blast, so it might turn off for a few seconds but it'll kick back on. Wish it would have a permanent defeat switch....

Really? I think most would have a hard time picking out a pre MCE Edge from a post, except for the stupid black panel on the tailgate.

The ST on the grill of some should be a give away to something new. That model should attract customers that may not have considered Edge before. With the 2.7 and 8 speed, it should do well. Then, there's the Titanium Elite without all that black plastic all over it.

2017 Fusion

New Platinum Model

New Sport Model

Moderately reworked front end

Moderately reworked rear

Rotary Gear Selector

2019 Edge

New Titanium Elite Model

New ST Model

Moderately reworked rear end

Rotary gear selector

If anything Id argue the Fusion refresh was more significant than the Edge.

Edited by sullynd

2017 Fusion

New Platinum Model

New Sport Model

Moderately reworked rear

Rotary Gear Selector

2019 Edge

New Titanium Elite Model

New ST Model

Moderately reworked rear end

Rotary gear selector

If anything Id argue the Fusion refresh was more significant than the Edge.

How, you listed 5 for each and from a purely visual standpoint the Edge grill update is easier to see including shape and grill look.

BTW, I'm not going to argue about the interior - interior changes for both were minimal, and basically limited to the addition of the rotary shifter.

Let's try this in pictures....

2013-16:

2015_ford_fusion_titanium_awd-pic-859360

2017-18:

2017-ford-fusion-hybrid-titanium-white-g

2013-16:

2013-Ford-Fusion-rear-3q.jpg

2017-18:

2017-Ford-Fusion-SE-Ingot-Silver-Exterio

Now, let's compare that to Edge:

2015-18:

b69608f029dd7cc7d4d3b1f206488bd4-720x540

2019+:

2019-ford-edge-st-inline0-photo-702462-s

2015-18:

JDPA_2015-Ford-Edge-Sport-Rear-Quarter-L

2019+:

2019-Ford-Edge-ST-rear.jpg

Not even remotely close to the same degree of difference.

Fusion you have to squint to see what was changed. Edge looks nothing alike up front, and the rear is noticeably changed.

• Like 1

Rmc, use the non ST version, thats a more fair comparison

I used the Sport vs. ST trims. I felt that was a fair comparison. The grille insert is completely different vs the 2015-18 on both trims.....not to mention the grille insert is different on non-ST trims too, which is a further differentiation between the old and new model

---

But here that is too:

2015_ford_edge_sel_1.jpg

cq5dam.web.768.768.jpeg

Edited by rmc523

The refresh looks completely different than the pre refresh. The Fusion pinched the grille and that was it.

That's your opinion. I disagree. I think the average consumer will trend closer to my opinion. We're looking through the eyes of Ford enthusiasts. Time will tell.

Edited by Harley Lover

That's your opinion. I disagree. I think the average consumer will trend closer to my opinion. We're looking through the eyes of Ford enthusiasts. Time will tell.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Im not a coolaide drinker, as the Fusion refresh was really pretty pathetic. I dont feel that way about the Edge. Considering its a refresh and not a new model, Its much better.

• Like 1