Frustrating experience

brucelinc

My 2018 Mustang GT has 3 steering settings just like my 2016 - comfort, normal and sport. For daily driving, I like the comfort setting. My 2016 would stay in that setting until I changed it but the 2018 always defaulted to normal when I started the car. My dealer service manager was totally oblivious to any of this so, using the chat feature, I asked a Ford rep about it at FordOwner.com. I was told there was an update that would make the 2018 stay where I set it.

I shared this info with my dealer and they confirmed there was an update and it would only take about 30 minutes to do. Last Friday morning I had them do the update but instead of solving that issue, the entire instrument cluster went black showing no info at all. They messed with it all day Friday and couldn't fix it. We were going out of town over the weekend in the Mustang but obviously that wasn't possible. They gave me an Escape to drive.

On Tuesday, they reached out to Ford Engineering for advice. As of Wednesday morning, Ford has not provided a solution. I have a good relationship with my dealership since I have purchased so many cars from them but my patience is wearing thin. I know they want to fix it but simply lack the knowledge as to what needs to be done. I would have been much better off just getting in the habit of flipping the toggle to comfort each time I start the car.

Edited by brucelinc

wow that sux. I've noticed over the years that my dealer was always reluctant to put updates on my car. I would show them a TSB and they would eventually agree to do it, but it was

always "I have to get the service managers approval " or we'll have to get in touch with Ford...

I can see why, especially in your case.

Good luck...…

I get my 18 next week, hope the update is already on it......

Reprogramming has become so much more complicated. Too many variables cause corrupt files. IC programming for an escape takes 1.5-2 hours. If battery voltage skews or connection fails, it can screw up the entire thing. I hate that happened to you. Unfortunately, its engineering issue. So ford would want the dealer to recover the module if possible. They may end up replacing it. However, if the files from the server are corrupt, it could kill the new one too. I suspect they will get you worked out. Shit happens. I tell people dont wait the day before you leave to go out of town to get your car worked on. Murphys law is a real possibility.

• Like 5

UPDATE: Fordtech1, I sure wish you worked at my dealership! After several more attempts over a couple of days to reprogram the cluster, Ford did say to replace it. The cluster was ordered and installed on Thursday late afternoon. The service advisor called and told me that it worked perfectly and I could pick up the car.

First thing I did was to adjust all of the settings to my preferences. In doing so, I noticed that "exhaust mode" and "mymode" were no longer on the menu. I pointed that out to the Service Advisor and, as expected, he was clueless that those things existed or what they were for. Making it clear that the programming was NOT correct, I asked them to keep the car and reprogram it so all of the options were there.

Friday, (yesterday) the Service Advisor called and informed me that they had installed the wrong cluster....one that was incompatible with the active exhaust option. So, now they have ordered a 2nd new cluster that should be available by next Monday or Tuesday. Since most everything works fine, I brought the car home and will take it back when the new cluster arrives.

The good news: The tech did a nice job of installing the cluster....perfect fit/finish and no rattles or squeaks. The service advisor knows me well and that I am very fussy. They kept the car in the shop the entire time it was there and even had a sign on it saying not to move it. Both times that I went to pick the car up, it was parked in the back cross-ways between 2 spaces so no door dings would be possible. The service advisor and my salesperson have kept me updated even when the news was not what I wanted to hear.

The bad news: I am suspicious that the original cluster was ruined due to a poor internet connection or other occurrence. They installed the wrong cluster so they now have to install a different one and program it. I am at a loss as to how they could have ordered and installed the wrong cluster when they had the car and VIN available.

Ford Part No.: JR3Z-10849-AJC

Instrument Cluster

Part Description INSTRUMENT CLUSTER Manufacturer Ford. This genuine Ford part is guaranteed by Ford's factory warranty. Manufacturer's Notes

This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase.

• Like 2

Sorry for your troubles, but DON'T BLAME THE DEALER OR THE TECH. Ford has developed so many cataloging errors in the last few years, its tough to get the right parts, VIN or not, car available or not. It can take quite a lot of work to resolve said issues as well, as PACO has to be involved usually, which isn't an instantaneous process. OR it may have been a human error by transposing a digit in the part number.

As for the original issue, programming OFTEN bricks modules and makes them unrecoverable, even when the tech does everything right. I personally bricked a half dozen EMTC modules in an Edge because there was a software issue in an old version of IDS. Engineering became involved on the 2nd one and every time it was supposed to be resolved, it wasn't. Even had an engineer with me when we bricked one. I figured out the point where it was bricking and stopped the process on the last new one, enough to make it function, and sent it. A later IDS update fixed the issue and we got it back and properly programmed it *several* months later.

Here is a list of what may have been an issue and I am sure I have missed something:

server issue on Ford's end

software corruption at any point, server>IDS>VCMM/VCM2>GWM>IPC

disruption in battery or the shore power provided

the internet connection

the IDS laptop itself

the VCM2/VCMM

physical connection between the scan tool connector and GWM

the GWM

any one of the 4 other modules on HS1 CAN remaining active on the network during programming

any one of the 6 other modules on HS3 CAN remaining active on the network during programming

the CAN wiring itself

the IPC itself

power or ground issues on board the car to ANY of these items

But it should be easy, right?

• Like 2

I really haven't placed blame on anyone nor am I looking for someone to blame. As fordtech said, shit happens. I have had my share of things go right so I can't get too excited when things go wrong.

Edited by brucelinc
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The new (supposedly correct) cluster finally came in and was installed yesterday. They had the car all day. No difference.....the active exhaust menu is still missing. The dealership again spoke with Ford Engineering and was told that the issue was "escalated" within Ford. The dealership doesn't expect an answer until next week.

I would love to rattle someone's cage within Ford but I am letting the dealership handle it for now. Someone, somewhere should know how to program this so the functionality is complete. It worked perfectly when I got the car so it was programmed correctly at one point. There are plenty of 2018 Mustangs around with active exhaust so this should not be an impossible task.

• Like 1

Thats unfortunate. A couple thinks could have happened the way I see it. File from fords server is corrupt or wrong. They inhaled the data from the original cluster and put it into the wrong cluster, then inhaled that data from wrong cluster and installed into the latest cluster but information was corrupt from previous repair. I would expect they tried to program the cluster with as built data which is program information from a database when the vehicle was built.

Either way, this is a program issue that may have to be resolved from ford hotline via a new database file.

• Like 2

Based on what few notes I have from the tech, he programmed to "as built." Ford suggested to "update through PMI."

2b2, I am sure there are contacts within Ford to speak with but I am letting the dealership deal with Ford Engineering at this point. If this is not resolved on the next visit, I will pursue other options....whatever they may be.

• Like 1

This is a frustrating situation for everyone involved. I remember a couple years ago I was trying to reprogram a C max. Several hours later and multiple retries. It finally went through. And at the time hotline knew there was a problem but could not Identify the problem. Im sure the technician working on your car is quite frustrated. I did a reprogram on a instrument cluster for a hybrid and the car actually lost all of its instrumentation. Engineering had to send me a special data file to download to reprogram it back to where it was. Im sure they will get it resolved for you.

Edited by fordtech1
  • Like 1

Update:

Ford has informed my dealer that there was a programming issue on Ford's end. They have found the problem and are working on a new file for the dealer to download. I am on vacation next week but unless something else goes awry we should have this all resolved the week of 6/25.

Thanks to fordtech for his professional and accurate feedback on this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

My dealer had the Mustang all day yesterday. They reprogrammed the cluster with Ford's latest and greatest update but it did no good. The Active Exhaust menu is still missing. They kept the car overnight. I have no idea what they plan to do now. 4 dealer visits for the same thing, 2 replacement instrument clusters, multiple attempts to program it and ZERO results.

My patience, which was wearing thin before, is pretty well exhausted at this point.

That sucks. What they should do is take a working cluster and put it in just to see if the active exhaust option appears. If not then they know it's something elsewhere in another module or maybe a wiring problem where the software doesn't see a sensor or something like that.

My patience, which was wearing thin before, is pretty well exhausted at this point.

I see what you did there. ;)

UPDATE:

My dealer had the Mustang all day yesterday. They reprogrammed the cluster with Ford's latest and greatest update but it did no good. The Active Exhaust menu is still missing. They kept the car overnight. I have no idea what they plan to do now. 4 dealer visits for the same thing, 2 replacement instrument clusters, multiple attempts to program it and ZERO results.

Could you use the lemon law to have it replaced at this point?

In order to qualify as a lemon under most state laws, the car must (1) have a substantial defect covered by the warranty that occurred within a certain period of time or number of miles after you bought the car, and (2) not be fixed after a reasonable number of repair attempts.

This is what qualifies under the Lemon Law in Michigan.

(1) Either four times for the same defect or condition and the problem must continue; or

(2) The car was out of service for 30 days during the first year of ownership due to repairs.

I know Ford had to repurchase many Focuses and Fiestas under state and Federal Lemon Law because of the DCT.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Here's what I found on Minnesota Lemon Law: https://www.ag.state.mn.us/consumer/handbooks/mncarlaws/CH1.asp

The Manufacturer’s Duty to Refund or Replace

The law has special refund and replacement provisions for cars that have substantial defects or problems. Such vehicles are commonly called “lemons.” Under the law, if the manufacturer or its authorized dealer has been unable to repair a car’s problem after a “reasonable number of attempts,” the buyer or lessee may go through a manufacturer’s arbitration program, or to court, to seek a replacement vehicle or a full refund of the car’s purchase price (minus a deduction for use of the vehicle). The law presumes a “reasonable number of attempts” to include any one of the following:

1. Four or more unsuccessful attempts to repair the same defect; or,
  2. One unsuccessful attempt to repair a defect that has caused the complete failure of the steering or braking system and that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury; or,
  3. A car that has been out of service due to warranty repairs for 30 or more cumulative business days.
  • Like 1