2007 Escape Hybrid AWD possible PTU or trans issue?

Have looked at many posts on many forums, including TSB's, but have not found a definitive answer. Note, I have replaced both struts, both wheel hubs, both CV shafts and both sway bar links. When starting to move forward or in reverse, I feel a slight clunk like a loose U-joint. When initially accelerating from a stop, or when slowing down just before I stop, I hear lound clunk or knock from the frount. When slowing to a stop in neutral, I do not hear the clunk. Had vehicle in the air with engine running at idle, and transmisson in drive, noticed that three tires were spinning, but front right passanger tire was moving sporadically and could stop it with my hand. With vehicle off the ground, engine off and trans in neutral, if I slightly move front tires back and forth, I hear a knock. With a stethascope, sound appears to be in transmission. No rattle or odd noise from PTU. No sounds from rear differential when moving tires.

P.S. With the vehicle off the ground, I had the engine running and the transmission in Drive. I noticed that the right side intermediate axle shaft (going into the PTU) is not turning. The black plastic seal cover (going into the PTU) is turning, but not the axle.

I had a 2006 mariner hybrid that had a clink when reversing then going forward like a parking spot. It turned out to be the PTU was the fix. I disconnected the rear diff unit electrical connector and it went away. I couldnt find anything wrong with driveshaft or rear diff.

That is all fairly normal function. The trans DOES NOT have any type of limited slip in the differential. Therefore, one wheel will turn easier than the other, when up in the air. Usually the driver's because it has less rotating weight, just like any other non-limited slip diff. A slight noise as it changes directions is also normal as there is plenty of slack in the diff, transfer spur and into the drive of the trans. The plastic protector is on the internal shaft of the PTU, NOT the halfshaft. This shaft is splined DIRECTLY into the CASE of the transmission diff and will turn anytime the diff is spinning. The halfshaft is not, it is splined to the gears in the diff. THe halfshaft merely passes through the PTU. The PTU has zero interaction with it, save the seal that keeps the fluid in the trans.

Edited by YT90SC

Id be more apt, from your description of the sound to think you have some kind of mount (engine, trans, roll restrictors) issue. Also, slowing to a stop in neutral is using 100% service brakes. Slowing to a stop with it in gear is using the trans as a brake until it no longer generates hold back force, and it applies the service brakes. Ive seen several Hybrids with service brake pads incorrectly installed, leading to a clunk when the service brakes apply during that transition.

I am assuming you THOUROUGHLY checked ball joints and lower control arm bushings?

Edited by YT90SC

YT90SC - Thank you for your response. I'll go back and check the things you mentioned and let you know what I find.

For clarification, incase I'm missing something here, you reffered to the right side shaft with the black plastic protector as an enternal shaft. Online, it seems that the shaft that is between the right CV axle and the PTU is referred to as the intermediate shaft. What ever the correct name is, I understand that the shaft passes throught the PTU into the transmission.

On the truning of the wheels, when off the ground with the engine running and in drive, three of the wheels spin good at idle and I cannot stop any of them them with my hand due to the drive torque on the wheels. But the front RH wheel either doesn't turn or turns sporadically. This is when I noticed the black protector spinning, but not the exterior shaft coming out of the PTU. Seems all four tires should spin at the same rate and drive torque.

I had thought about something being loose so I'll check it. The one thing though, is that if something is loose, it would seem that it should make the noise when coming to a stop either in drive or neutral.

I will definitially go back and check the brake calipers and pads. I momentarily saw a Service Brakes message on the difital screen the other day. I will also check the ABS with the ABS function on my scanner.