MKC replacement spied

https://www.motor1.com/news/243151/lincoln-mkc-replacement-spy-photos/

From article: - Apparently, the automaker planned the MKC replacement for 2021, but now that sedans are no longer in vogue at the Dearborn automaker, Lincoln decided to move up the new MKC by a year. That means designers and engineers will have to hustle on readying the new product. Crossovers dont design themselves, you know? -

Edited by blazerdude20

https://www.motor1.com/news/243151/lincoln-mkc-replacement-spy-photos/

From article: - Apparently, the automaker planned the MKC replacement for 2021, but now that sedans are no longer in vogue at the Dearborn automaker, Lincoln decided to move up the new MKC by a year. That means designers and engineers will have to hustle on readying the new product. Crossovers dont design themselves, you know? -

Who would have thought a Lincoln article would be in the Lincoln forum.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65123-2020-lincoln-mkc-replacement-spy-shots-by-motor-1/&do=findComment&comment=1034141

• Like 1

We knew the current MKC was on a shortened life cycle before. The article didn't provide any news but just confirmed that MKC mules had been testing concurrently with Escape/Kuga mules. We just couldn't tell which one is which before. Now they are wearing prototype camo, you can tell the difference... I'm still thinking that Ford will actually launch the MKC first before Kuga.

Mariner would keep with the nautical theme started by Nautilus and Navigator.

Or maybe they could start a different theme with Navigator and Aviator by calling this one Bombardier...

There's a jet maker called Bombardier that made me double take as at first glance, I read it as Bombardier.

The MKC replacement may still arrive as a 2021 MY vehicle. Lincoln has a habit of coming online months after it's Ford line-mate which might be enough of a difference. MKC also has to move production to China which might be on a more advanced timetable (not for US import, but for Chinese consumption).

Edited by Assimilator

The MKC replacement may still arrive as a 2021 MY vehicle. Lincoln has a habit of coming online months after it's Ford line-mate which might be enough of a difference. MKC also has to move production to China which might be on a more advanced timetable (not for US import, but for Chinese consumption).

Haven't they said the factory will open in 2019, with production of a new model?

I've long thought it was to be MKC's replacement.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. For 2019 MY we get a minor refreshed MKC with new grill and minor updates. Then with the 2021 MY we get an all new MKC (with a new name). This 2021 model address the major the major issues (rear seat space) and build on Aviator design language. Is this correct?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. For 2019 MY we get a minor refreshed MKC with new grill and minor updates. Then with the 2021 MY we get an all new MKC (with a new name). This 2021 model address the major the major issues (rear seat space) and build on Aviator design language. Is this correct?

Yes, either 2020 or 2021. But otherwise, yes, that's correct.

Probably mid year 2020 as 2021 model. And I think it is pretty sure thing that China will get the model first.

I'm also going to guess that it won't be called Mariner because Mariner in Mandarin is "航海家" and Ford is using "航海家" as the Mandarin name for Nautilus.

English name / Mandarin name / translation or meaning

Navigator / 领航员 / navigator

Aviator / 飞行家 / aviator

Nautilus / 航海家 / mariner

Mariner / ??? / mariner again?

As you can see, Ford didn't use the literal translation for Nautilus in China in the same context as Navigator and Aviator... they didn't call it "a sea shell marine molluse" in Mandarin.

• Like 1

Probably mid year 2020 as 2021 model. And I think it is pretty sure thing that China will get the model first.

I'm also going to guess that it won't be called Mariner because Mariner in Mandarin is "航海家" and Ford is using "航海家" as the Mandarin name for Nautilus.

English name / Mandarin name / translation or meaning

Navigator / 领航员 / navigator

Aviator / 飞行家 / aviator

Nautilus / 航海家 / mariner

Mariner / ??? / mariner again?

As you can see, Ford didn't use the literal translation for Nautilus in China in the same context as Navigator and Aviator... they didn't call it "a sea shell marine molluse" in Mandarin.

Well the Edge isn't called the Edge in Australia either-so it wouldn't be the first time there was two different names for the same product in recent history either.

Haven't they said the factory will open in 2019, with production of a new model?

I've long thought it was to be MKC's replacement.

Leaked documents from the factory ramp-up confirmed it to be the new Aviator which leaked about a month before the concept's debut (which confirmed the name for the first time). It also revealed that it's powered by a 3.0TT and a 3.0PHEV.

Ford had previously confirmed that all new Lincolns in China will be electrified and assembled locally.

Edited by Assimilator

Nautilus is Greek for sailor. Supposedly the inspiration for the name

Has anyone seen Fords list of copyrighted names, or new names that have been added recently that might work?

I've tried doing a search on the trademark site. It's not very friendly when it comes to searching for ones owned by companies, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

i.e., I can't just search "ford motor company" and have a list of names Ford has pop up.

EDIT: I lied. Figured out how to do it.

Under "Ford Motor Company" and "Ford Motor Company Corporation Delaware", here are some results. NOTE: these two did not have all the current models, so there must be other ones that Ford lists under.

-Corsair is trademared - filed 8/22/17, published 12/26/17

-Zephyr is still trademarked

Of note too, I know we've talked about some of these before, but some interesting info.....

-Maverick was filed 12/15/16, and published 4/17/18

-Timberline says it's for "motor vehicles, namely passenger automobiles, trucks, SUVs, off road vehicles, and structural parts, trim and badging therefore" This to me confirms it's a trim line, as the wording is different than other models

-Model E - filed 1/24/17, published 11/28/17

-TowBoss - electronic trailer brake controller - filed 1/6/17, published 5/9/17

-Ford PowerBoost - filed 11/27/17, published 4/10/18....."Motor vehicles, namely, automobiles, trucks, vans, sport utility vehicles, and structural parts therefor; powertrain systems for land vehicles, namely, vehicle power train mechanism comprised of clutch, transmission, drive shaft, and differential; propulsion systems for land vehicles, comprised of engines, electric motors, transmissions, and batteries"

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

I've tried doing a search on the trademark site. It's not very friendly when it comes to searching for ones owned by companies, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

i.e., I can't just search "ford motor company" and have a list of names Ford has pop up.

EDIT: I lied. Figured out how to do it.

Under "Ford Motor Company" and "Ford Motor Company Corporation Delaware", here are some results. NOTE: these two did not have all the current models, so there must be other ones that Ford lists under.

-Corsair is trademared - filed 8/22/17, published 12/26/17

-Zephyr is still trademarked

Of note too, I know we've talked about some of these before, but some interesting info.....

-Maverick was filed 12/15/16, and published 4/17/18

-Timberline says it's for "motor vehicles, namely passenger automobiles, trucks, SUVs, off road vehicles, and structural parts, trim and badging therefore" This to me confirms it's a trim line, as the wording is different than other models

-Model E - filed 1/24/17, published 11/28/17

-TowBoss - electronic trailer brake controller - filed 1/6/17, published 5/9/17

-Ford PowerBoost - filed 11/27/17, published 4/10/18....."Motor vehicles, namely, automobiles, trucks, vans, sport utility vehicles, and structural parts therefor; powertrain systems for land vehicles, namely, vehicle power train mechanism comprised of clutch, transmission, drive shaft, and differential; propulsion systems for land vehicles, comprised of engines, electric motors, transmissions, and batteries"

Anyone have any idea to make that Can be the model E? Passenger car or SUV?

Corsair? Sounds like some female body hair depilator...yikes...

I did a thesaurus search for "Navigator", and yes Mariner popped up. So did Yachter...

Under "Traveler" though, we find many names that have been used in vehicles before. Voyager, Nomad, Excursion, Expedition, Explorer, Rambler, Journeyer,, Rover.

It did hit me NaviCross is floating out there as well from the concept and my fav "Sentinel". And then did a search of past names (before my time and wouldn't resonate with new buyers or myself for that matter) Capri, Premiere, Cosmopolitan. (doesn't sound very Crossover-ish though).

Oh well the happy thing is the MK-Crap is gone.

• Like 1

Cosmopolitan. (doesn't sound very Crossover-ish though).

Sounds too femine sounding-then again that is the biggest market for a vehicle like this-

I can see this tagline-Lets get Cosmos in my Lincoln Cosmopolitan

Lets reinforce drinking and driving! :p

Corsair and Mustang were the two fastest US fighter planes of WWII. Might be the actual name of Mach 1 SUV.

It might make good name for a Lincoln Mustang...

Plus, the Corsair had a killer nickname--the Japanese called it "Whistling Death."

Then again, the Navy boys called it "the Ensign Eliminator," so...