Production Week Scheduling Information

I noticed there were 4 order guides put out by Ford/Lincoln for the vehicle of interest to me (2019 MKZ), and that the earliest (at least the earliest I saw) was dated 7 June 2018, with later ones issued on (I think) 1 July 2018, 1 August 2018, and 1 September 2018.

Question:  Is it likely that Ford/Lincoln is "done" with issuing order guides for 2019 model year vehicles now, and that the last-issued order guide for the 2019 MKZ is presumably the order guide for the rest of the 2019 MKZ model year production run?  Or is it possible that F/L may decide at some point during the 2019 'Z production run to change something and then issue a new order guide that would affect the 2019 production from that point forward?

I'm new to this and don't have your years of experience with these sorts of things so whatever insight you can provide would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Edited by 1984Poke

2 hours ago, 1984Poke said:

I noticed there were 4 order guides put out by Ford/Lincoln for the vehicle of interest to me (2019 MKZ), and that the earliest (at least the earliest I saw) was dated 7 June 2018, with later ones issued on (I think) 1 July 2018, 1 August 2018, and 1 September 2018.

Question:  Is it likely that Ford/Lincoln is "done" with issuing order guides for 2019 model year vehicles now, and that the last-issued order guide for the 2019 MKZ is presumably the order guide for the rest of the 2019 MKZ model year production run?  Or is it possible that F/L may decide at some point during the 2019 'Z production run to change something and then issue a new order guide that would affect the 2019 production from that point forward?

I'm new to this and don't have your years of experience with these sorts of things so whatever insight you can provide would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Not likely to see any more real changes at this point for the next few months.   They can make running changes at any time though.  It's pretty rare that they make significant changes other than things marked as "late availability".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, POOPONYOU said:

I wish the order tracker was updated more often. 1 week since last update for my Raptor sucks. 

I don't think Ford updates their internal systems more often than once per week for orders not built yet.

Edited by akirby

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not likely to see any more real changes at this point for the next few months.   They can make running changes at any time though.  It's pretty rare that they make significant changes other than things marked as "late availability".

Ok, thank you, akirby.

5 hours ago, 1984Poke said:

Hi 1984Poke.  Don't worry, your MKZ will be built as you ordered it. ?

47 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi 1984Poke.  Don't worry, your MKZ will be built as you ordered it. ?

Well, thank you for that encouragement, bbf, but I'll cop to an ulterior motive.

If the change would be in a way that I would like/prefer, I would like to see another order guide for the 2019 MKZh like this:  I would happily--happily--give Lincoln more of my $$ if Lincoln would de-couple the 20-speaker Revel stereo system and premium LED headlights from the sliding panoramic roof.

That is, I would be happy to ask the dealer to modify my order (that, I found out last Friday, did not get submitted in October due to some glitch that I don't fully understand, and now my MKZh is almost certain not to be built until January) to add the 20-speaker Revel and even the LED lights, despite the increase in price, provided I did not have to accept the panoramic roof, too, as part of the deal.  (I realize some people like their panoramic roof.  Great.  I'm happy for them.  But it's not for me.)

I realize it's probably a hopeless wish but, in this situation, I wouldn't mind seeing a new MKZ order guide (if it's changed the way I want, of course).  Oh well, I can dream, can't i?  Nevertheless, thank you for your encouragement, bbf. 

Edited by 1984Poke

Hi again 1984.  As akirby stated above, Lincoln/Ford will, unfortunately, not be offering those options separately, or decoupling those options/option packages. I agree with your unhappiness about those options now being packaged together with a moonroof. I feel extremely lucky that I ordered my 2018, since like you, I wanted those options without a moonroof of any kind.

And of course, my statement concerning not to worry about your build, assumes no screwups, or at least no more screwups, by your Dealer. ?

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

They’re not going to decouple those if that’s what you’re hoping for.

Yes, akirby, that is what I would like to see, but I also realize the likelihood of that happening is between slim and none—and much, much more likely to be “none.”

Nevertheless, what bbf wrote leads me to ask (anyone):  Just what does prompt a manufacturer to decide that, for Year X, customers can order cars/trucks/SUVs/etc. with an options package of items A, B, and C but, for Year Y, the options package comes with items A, D, and E but no B and no C?

That is, other than to implement an options simplification strategy (such as making a wide range of items that previously were separate options now standard, as was done with the MKZ for the 2019 model year), which I do understand, what other reasons prompt a manufacturer to (seemingly) randomly change options packages from one year to the next when the underlying vehicle itself did not fundamentally change or get redesigned? 

There are a few different reasons.

Sometimes it’s for CAFE compliance - having to do with the weight of the options.  In 1999 Lincoln removed the rear headrests from the Lincoln LS sport models because it put them into a lower weight category that was more CAFE favorable.  Don’t hear about those things a lot nowadays but it’s possible.

It’s usually just marketing - either forcing people to take expensive options they might not get otherwise or that most buyers were buying them together anyway.

Ford also is trying to reduce the number of unique option combinations so they’re doing more combining.

• Thanks 2

Some options simply aren't as popular as hoped so there's no point in keeping it. 

Theres a huge initiative within the company to simplify manufacturing which is the biggest reason behind simplifying option packages. Less complexity on the assembly line means less potential repairs and potentially reducing the amount of manpower needed on a particular line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PRODUCTION WEEK SCHEDULING INFORMATION FOR THE WEEK OF 11/26/2018

2019 ECOSPORT   Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/21/2019, 01/28/2019 & 02/04/2019

2019 EDGE             Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019

2019 ESCAPE         Retail Scheduling Only

2019 EXPEDITION  Scheduling for Build Week 01/07/2019

2019 EXPLORER    Scheduling for Build Weeks 02/04/2019, 02/11/2019 & 02/18/2019

2019 F-150               Scheduling for Build Weeks 12/17/2018 & 12/31/2018 

2019 FIESTA            Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019

2019 FLEX               Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019

2019 FUSION           Retail Scheduling Only

2019 MUSTANG      Cleanup Scheduling

2019 RANGER        Scheduling for Build Week 02/04/2019. Until the Okay to Buy has been achieved, retail orders will not be selected for scheduling. Only retail orders that have been verified through the Retail Order Verification Program will be selected for scheduling.

2019 F-SERIES SD Scheduling for Build Weeks 12/17/2018 & 12/31/2018

2019 TAURUS         Scheduling for Build Weeks 02/04/2019, 02/11/2019 & 02/18/2019

2019 TRANSIT        Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019

2019 TRANSIT CONNECT           Cleanup Scheduling 

2019 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL   Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019 

2019 LINCOLN MKC                    Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019 

2019 LINCOLN MKT                    Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019   

2019 LINCOLN MKZ                    Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019 

2019 LINCOLN NAUTILUS          Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019 

2019 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR       Scheduling for Build Week 01/07/2019

On 11/19/2018 at 9:44 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi again 1984.  As akirby stated above, Lincoln/Ford will, unfortunately, not be offering those options separately, or decoupling those options/option packages. I agree with your unhappiness about those options now being packaged together with a moonroof. I feel extremely lucky that I ordered my 2018, since like you, I wanted those options without a moonroof of any kind.

And of course, my statement concerning not to worry about your build, assumes no screwups, or at least no more screwups, by your Dealer. ?

bbf, I traded text messages with my Lincoln dealer salesman last Friday afternoon and he confirmed that the order for my ‘19 Zh was submitted last week.

He had told me earlier that they submit orders on Tuesdays, so I presume that means the order for my car was submitted on Tuesday, 20 November.  [That is 4 weeks later than I thought it had been ordered (on 23 October) but, oh well, what can you do?]

I presume the info from ice-capades’ Production Week posting this morning means the very earliest my Z would be produced would be mid- to late-January (and almost certainly later even than that time frame).

Out of curiosity, is Tuesday the standard day for all Lincoln dealers nationwide to submit their orders, or is it just a matter of the order day for my particular dealer being on Tuesdays?

4 hours ago, 1984Poke said:

bbf, I traded text messages with my Lincoln dealer salesman last Friday afternoon and he confirmed that the order for my ‘19 Zh was submitted last week.

He had told me earlier that they submit orders on Tuesdays, so I presume that means the order for my car was submitted on Tuesday, 20 November.  [That is 4 weeks later than I thought it had been ordered (on 23 October) but, oh well, what can you do?]

I presume the info from ice-capades’ Production Week posting this morning means the very earliest my Z would be produced would be mid- to late-January (and almost certainly later even than that time frame).

Out of curiosity, is Tuesday the standard day for all Lincoln dealers nationwide to submit their orders, or is it just a matter of the order day for my particular dealer being on Tuesdays?

Hi 1984 Poke.  While I would defer to ice-capades and some others here for expert advice on Dealer orders, I think you are pretty safe in your no sooner than mid to late January production assumption...assuming the order was placed 11/20.  Of course, we are doing a lot of assuming now. ?

What you can ask your Salesperson to do is send you a copy of the VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) and/or the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement). Besides the ordering information they contain for your vehicle, they are also nice to have for your vehicle records.

Concerning Tuesday orders: I have heard Dealers state days other than Tuesdays for placing orders, but truthfulness can vary.  So again, ice-capades can give you a better answer as to actual Dealer order day/date limitations.

Hope your MKZ gets to you as soon as possible, so keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi 1984 Poke.  While I would defer to ice-capades and some others here for expert advice on Dealer orders, I think you are pretty safe in your no sooner than mid to late January production assumption...assuming the order was placed 11/20.  Of course, we are doing a lot of assuming now. ?

What you can ask your Salesperson to do is send you a copy of the VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) and/or the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement). Besides the ordering information they contain for your vehicle, they are also nice to have for your vehicle records.

Concerning Tuesday orders: I have heard Dealers state days other than Tuesdays for placing orders, but truthfulness can vary.  So again, ice-capades can give you a better answer as to actual Dealer order day/date limitations.

Hope your MKZ gets to you as soon as possible, so keep us updated and good luck.

There is no set day of the week for Dealers to submit orders as orders can be placed 27/7 for all Dealers and regardless of order type. If the order wasn't placed until 11/20 then the scheduling notice provided will apply, etc. 

• Thanks 1

Poke, my Lincoln dealer puts in factory orders on Thursdays. I got mine placed (for Nautilus) about the same time as yours. They were able to place it, however, by putting in an order to modify an existing vehicle they had ordered for lot sales, so they said it might get here a little earlier.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ice-capades said:

There is no set day of the week for Dealers to submit orders as orders can be placed 27/7 for all Dealers and regardless of order type. If the order wasn't placed until 11/20 then the scheduling notice provided will apply, etc. 

Thank you, ice-capades (and thanks to you, too, bbf2530).

Just to be sure I understand:  Presuming that the order for my 2019 MKZ-H was, indeed, placed by my dealer in Tulsa last Tuesday (20 Nov), its estimated production time period likely would be determined this week (as indicated in the "PRODUCTION WEEK SCHEDULING INFORMATION FOR THE WEEK OF 11/26/2018" info that ice-capades provided), meaning actual manufacture is likely to occur in mid- to late-January 2019, as indicated by this:  "2019 LINCOLN MKZ                    Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019"?  Do I have that right?

Edited by 1984Poke

16 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Poke, my Lincoln dealer puts in factory orders on Thursdays. I got mine placed (for Nautilus) about the same time as yours. They were able to place it, however, by putting in an order to modify an existing vehicle they had ordered for lot sales, so they said it might get here a little earlier.

Good luck!

Gurgeh, I hope yours does come in soon--maybe in time to be in your driveway by Christmas!  Good luck, and thanks for the input! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1984Poke said:

Thank you, ice-capades (and thanks to you, too, bbf2530).

Just to be sure I understand:  Presuming that the order for my 2019 MKZ-H was, indeed, placed by my dealer in Tulsa last Tuesday (20 Nov), its estimated production time period likely would be determined this week (as indicated in the "PRODUCTION WEEK SCHEDULING INFORMATION FOR THE WEEK OF 11/26/2018" info that ice-capades provided), meaning actual manufacture is likely to occur in mid- to late-January 2019, as indicated by this:  "2019 LINCOLN MKZ                    Scheduling for Build Weeks 01/14/2019 & 01/21/2019"?  Do I have that right?

Hi 1984Poke.  Yes, you have that right. Assuming there are no holds or constraints on your particular MKZ due to it's trim and options, production or weather delays, etc, etc..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1984Poke said:

Gurgeh, I hope yours does come in soon--maybe in time to be in your driveway by Christmas!  Good luck, and thanks for the input! 

You were my good luck charm. I got a call from my dealer today, and they were successful in jumping the queue by modifying that existing order. My build week is Dec. 10! So, maybe, just maybe it will get shipped before the factory shuts down for the Christmas/New Years holiday weeks. If so, it may arrive just before the turn of the year. If not, early January.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

You were my good luck charm. I got a call from my dealer today, and they were successful in jumping the queue by modifying that existing order. My build week is Dec. 10! So, maybe, just maybe it will get shipped before the factory shuts down for the Christmas/New Years holiday weeks. If so, it may arrive just before the turn of the year. If not, early January.

That’s terrific news, and I am more than happy to serve as a good luck charm for you if I can.  ?  Congratulations!