Diesel Aviator Spotted?

I thought I'd just mention that I've been seeing Aviator prototype running around with "DEF FUEL ONLY" stickers on the fenders. That typically means "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" or the urea-based agent added to keep Diesel engines cleaner. Could this mean we're getting Diesel engines for the Explorer and Aviator...perhaps for a different market?

Although the prototypes are still fully covered, I can tell you that there are 2 different types of LED headlights on Aviator. The standard lights are more like the MKX than Nautilus/Continental (a row of compound reflectors instead of lenses), while the optional fixtures look like the Concept's, a set of square quad projector beams.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

...Although the prototypes are still fully covered, I can tell you the LED headlights on these version are more like the MKX than Nautilus/Continental (a row of compound reflectors instead of lenses).

C'mon now!! get that famous Camo-Vision working and lets hear more details...

C'mon now!! get that famous Camo-Vision working and lets hear more details...

It's pretty close to the concept but all the details are covered up so it's hard to tell tbh. I saw a funky new directional wheel design with a more twisted and dimensional look..probably would have a polished finish. The mirrors are certainly larger and the taillights have some deceptive camo on them so they look much larger but it's hard to tell...but they do have Amber LED turning indicators.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

It's pbut they do have Amber LED turning indicators.

Remember for 2019 MY manufactures get higher safety points with the new system for having amber rear turn signals. The Pre production Nautilus I have seen also have Amber, even though the Lincoln rep said they were going to be red at the show. They might have made the change for the higher rating.

New 2019 vehicles will have Amber (Fusion, Edge, Ranger) As well as updates from almost every other manufacture, Even the new RAM has amber rear turn signals across the whole lineup, where there are very few ways to get them on an F-150.

Headlights could be Export vs US. Remember other places (including Canada now) allow for dynamic headlights and high beams no reason to put them on US vehicles.

• Like 2

I think the LED complex reflector headlights are probably the standard baseline models, it's somewhat similar to the design of the Explorer. The Projectors are likely the upgraded model, Lincoln isn't sold in markets without the headlight restrictions (Europe).

Regarding the Amber turning indicators, Lincoln does sell in a few markets that require them (Korea for one) so they have versions WITH amber indicators while the US goes without. Not sure why this is.

I think the LED complex reflector headlights are probably the standard baseline models, it's somewhat similar to the design of the Explorer. The Projectors are likely the upgraded model, Lincoln isn't sold in markets without the headlight restrictions (Europe).

Regarding the Amber turning indicators, Lincoln does sell in a few markets that require them (Korea for one) so they have versions WITH amber indicators while the US goes without. Not sure why this is.

China doesn't have the headlight restrictions either which will be a huge Aviator market (I could see them sell more in China than here). The MKX with the LED headlamps can actually do Dynamic lighting controlling each LED individually, that is why they cost so much. That functionally is programmed out on US vehicles, it was included as at the time it was thought that they were going to become legal as well along with changes to the minimum amber rear signal area requirement which would have allowed ROW rear tail-lamp units to be used.

I don't think the 2019 MKC is gaining them as Ford elected not to include Co-Pilot 360 standard equipment on it so the '19 score will already be lower score, not sure if the MKZ is getting standard Co-Pilot 360 either. Would seem crazy it is std on a Fusion but not on the MKZ.

The Fusion is getting CoPilot 360 for 2019 so I assume the MKZ is as well.

I actually have an MKX with LEDs, although they appear not to be intelligent in anyway and are ranked fairly poorly by the IIHS.

My next car will most likely be the Audi Q7 which has some awesome LED tech.

My next car will most likely be the Audi Q7 which has some awesome LED tech.

Hopefully you have better luck than my friends that had them, both ended their leases early. One ended up in a Model X and the other in an X5M.

You will need to program them to be awesome, I'm not sure if you enable them with VAG or not, they may just be programmed to be dumb like the MKX or could be different units all together. I know you can enable the cool features on X5/X6/M5/M6/5/6/7 with the LED's; Takes some programming but you can enable them.

IIHS marks down for glare which is difficulty to judge, the Prius that IIHS said is great and has no glare is to my eyes one of the worst vehicles on the road for it. Also manufactures were aiming for CR's headlight test which is totally different than IIHS and they actually contradict each other.

Edited by jasonj80

Aviator is also on my radar but I don't know if the timing will be right since I'm on that pesky lease cycle. The Nautilus is a very superficial update and not a terribly attractive one and I'm already on my 2nd MKX of this generation so I just want to upgrade to something a bit roomier with more amenities (and perhaps more performance).

I've had several types of Lincoln headlights and the best were on my 2011-2013 MKX which were HID projectors, they were certainly brighter and farther than the LEDs I have now. However, they have made improvements to the LED headlights on my 2018 MKX since 2016, they are noticeably brighter but don't reach as far as I would like. They don't glare at drivers like the HIDs, I was always getting flashed in my 2011/13 MKXs, but between my 2016/18 I've only been flashed once...and it JUST happened last weekend.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to see the effect of Aviator sales on Lincoln, it's a great addition just below Navigator

and do much to lift show room traffic. It's a pity the nautilis couldn't also be on CD6, that would

give Lincoln a very effective trifecta of Utilities with MKC covering the entry level customers.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see the effect of Aviator sales on Lincoln, it's a great addition just below Navigator

and do much to lift show room traffic. It's a pity the nautilis couldn't also be on CD6, that would

give Lincoln a very effective trifecta of Utilities with MKC covering the entry level customers.

I had some speculations that I won't bother posting anymore as long as Hatchett is employed

but

I still can't see any good reason for Not expanding and differentiating Lincoln's CuvSuvs offerings