Ford Mach 1 (CX430) will be C2 vehicle modular platform

Julian Rendell

by Julian Rendell

22 May 2018

Ford is pressing ahead with its first all-new battery electric vehicle, a front-drive crossover and it is committed to the Mondeo in Europe until the mid-2020s, despite last month's announcement that it is pulling out of the saloon and hatchback market in the US.

The all-electric crossover, dubbed Mach 1 in reference to its Mustang-derived styling features, has been confirmed as a globally engineered model to be revealed next year, with UK deliveries starting in 2020.

The crossover, codenamed CX430, will be built on the C2 platform used for the new Focus and has been in Fords product plan for several years.

Opinion: why Ford needs more crossovers

The CX430 will be additional to the Kuga and, since it is based on the front-wheel-drive C2 platform, it is expected to be conventional hatchback-like, with a slightly raised driving position.

Ford has identified white paper models like the CX430 to replace saloons and hatches in its US line-up. Further crossovers with Mustang design cues and front-drive chassis are a strong possibility because they combine the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as high ride height, space and versatility.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-mach-1-ev-crossover-spearhead-new-era-car-maker

IMO I think they are mixing the program names together-CX430 is going to be the "Baby Bronco"

The Mach 1 is going to be the E1 platform or whatever they are calling it

There is no way they are going to command the higher price tag that the Mach 1 is going to have with a C1 class product-its going to have to be around the size of an Edge.

I agree. This is not at all what I was expecting the vehicle to be if its true. Front wheel drive isnt usually associated with a performance vehicle.

What's to say they don't go the Tesla route and do a dual motor AWD setup? Pretty sure that new platform will be AWD capable if its underpinning the next-gen Escape.

• Like 1

IMO I think they are mixing the program names together-CX430 is going to be the "Baby Bronco"

The Mach 1 is going to be the E1 platform or whatever they are calling it

There is no way they are going to command the higher price tag that the Mach 1 is going to have with a C1 class product-its going to have to be around the size of an Edge.

C2 is a platform capable of receiving electrification for EVs and has the flexibility to adapt to the dimensions of a Fiesta to a Ford Edge

I don't like using the Mach I name for a crossover. "Further crossovers with Mustang design cues and front-drive chassis are a strong possibility because they combine the best attributes of cars and utilities".

First why mustang design cues? Second aren't crossovers utilities already? I am assuming by front drive chassis they mean with AWD versus the CD6 RWD chasis because FWD CUV's would be useless in today's market.

• Like 1

...Ford is pressing ahead with its first all-new battery electric vehicle, a front-drive crossover and it is committed to the Mondeo in Europe until the mid-2020s, despite last month's announcement that it is pulling out of the saloon and hatchback market in the US.

Uhh, "saloons" (aka; station wagons) do NOT sell in the US for shit...Ford doesn't "do" saloons in the North American market and haven't done so in over a decade or more...

Again, looks like the Automotive Media isn't paying attention to the facts handed to them by Ford. Ford has already said that their EVs are based on a separate flexible EV platform...it's not sharing their FWD Unibody architecture.

There is some confusion as to what size class the Mach 1 will be, originally Ford talked bout this EV as a Small Utility which we called the Model E (because of a patent dispute with Tesla). Now it's a High Performance Utility and they are alluding that it's like an Explorer crossed with a Mustang...which doesn't sound like a small utility. It's not clear if these are two separate vehicles but Ford has only been talking about this one so my guess is this was the vehicle they had been planning for years now. Lincoln is also getting a version.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

An electric vehicle won't have a grille that huge. It hurts fuel economy, and there's no need for it.

I do actually like that render though.

You're right, grilles aren't needed on an electric car, but I wonder if a stylist will add one just for familiarity's sake?

An electric vehicle won't have a grille that huge. It hurts fuel economy, and there's no need for it.

It could be a faux grille - solid panel with a mesh look to it. Kinda like the pre-refresh Model S, but with a grille pattern instead of just gray paint.

Edited by rmc523

You're right, grilles aren't needed on an electric car, but I wonder if a stylist will add one just for familiarity's sake?

It could be a faux grille - solid panel with a mesh look to it. Kinda like the pre-refresh Model S, but with a grille pattern instead of just gray paint.

I agree with you both, and I actually like the grille better than without as that to me is a huge design point of the vehicle. However, one of the biggest (THE biggest?) challenges for electric vehicles is range. If that fake grille takes 10 miles off the range, it won't make the cut. Just my opinion.

I agree with you both, and I actually like the grille better than without as that to me is a huge design point of the vehicle. However, one of the biggest (THE biggest?) challenges for electric vehicles is range. If that fake grille takes 10 miles off the range, it won't make the cut. Just my opinion.

I agree with your thoughts. It could also be done in reverse like the Aviator's - where the solid honeycomb "openings" bump out, with just a minimal cutout (a few millimeters) to create that honeycomb look (think of how Chevy does their pattern on the Volt/Bolt), while maintaining aerodynamics.

2017-chevrolet-volt-5dr-hb-premier-grill

• Like 1

Yes, but it could have the raised honeycomb design without being open on the back. Would be a great look, vs. a blank panel.