Ford european auto sales up 14% year over year

Some great info in there. I hadn't realized how poorly the Galaxy and Edge sold there, S-Max is actually fairly strong compared to them but I know Edge is extremely expensive in Europe. The US bought nearly as many Focuses as all of Europe. Fiesta is huge there! EcoSport picking up more steam in the EU which is good.

Surprising number of Rangers sold in Europe...certainly pocket change by comparison here but it's interesting. Mustang sales fell off a cliff.

Edited by Assimilator

Some great info in there. I hadn't realized how poorly the Galaxy and Edge sold there, S-Max is actually fairly strong compared to them but I know Edge is extremely expensive in Europe. The US bought nearly as many Focuses as all of Europe. Fiesta is huge there! EcoSport picking up more steam in the EU which is good.

Surprising number of Rangers sold in Europe...certainly pocket change by comparison here but it's interesting. Mustang sales fell off a cliff.

Galaxy's only real market is the taxi cab sales in UK and Germany. Retail buyers (which in Europe includes "fleet sale" aka company cars) generally choose S-Max.

Edge has a couple of challenges... it lacks 7 seat options (so S-Max buyers are not swayed by it), and for the same price, you can buy a luxury brand SUV (albeit a smaller less equipped one). The idea for Edge is for Ford to hold on to those company car buyers coming out of their Mondeo. But the idea is a little flawed because if those buyers are ditching cars, switching brands is natural. In another word, Ford has a lot of homework to do to build up Edge's brand in Europe. After all, it is a brand new nameplate. I suspect most of the Edge sales is probably taking place outside of the Big 5 markets.

Couple of other things to note...

- Kuga outsells C-Max 2 to 1

- EcoSport seemed to have replaced B-Max without losing a beat - Ford sold 8,600 B-Max+EcoSport last April and 9,600 this April

- The Tourneo sales are 20% of the combined Courier/Connect/Custom volumes

- I think the 3 previous things I noted is why Ford feels pretty sure about walking away from the car-based minivan market (B-Max, C-Max, S-Max, Galaxy) in Europe - those buyers will either move to CUVs or Tourneos

- Fiesta is 22% of total sale volume

- Ford sold 1,600 "other" YTD... must be all Explorers (which is sold in Russia but not the main Euro20 markets)

Edited by bzcat

Similar amount sold in Australia every month with around 85% being crew 4x4 3.2 diesels in XLT, Wildtrak and FX4

The RHD version of 2018 Mustang is not on sale in Europe / ROW.

FYI, Australia sells a similar amount of Rangers, around 85% of them are 4x4 crew cabs with 3.2 diesels in XLT, Wildtrak and FX4

Mustang still selling between 380 and 700 a month down here even though '18 RHD still not on sale yet.

Edited by jpd80

Yes it is. Its sold in Sweden and the UK.

Why would Ford sell RHD Mustang in Sweden?

And JDP is correct, Ford has not began 2018 RHD Mustang retail deliveries. It is listed under "future vehicles" on the Ford UK website

https://www.ford.co.uk/future-vehicles/new-mustang

On the regular vehicles page, it is showing the 2017 pre-facelift model... which was already sold out in UK.

Meanwhile, in LHD markets (Germany, France, ahem... Sweden etc) the 2018 facelift model is on the regular vehicle page, not "future vehicles".

Edited by bzcat

Gotta keep all those Falcon customers happy...

Those guys swore up and down that a Mustang would not fill the gap left by a GT Falcon.

but Mustang has proven there are considerable HP buyers in Australia prepared to pay

the premium to play. A four door GT car the size of Fusion would be more practical

but would then eat into the existing Mustang's sales base.

Edited by jpd80

Edge has a couple of challenges... it lacks 7 seat options (so S-Max buyers are not swayed by it), and for the same price I suspect most of the Edge sales is probably taking place outside of the Big 5 markets.

Plus no engine choices, just a diesel with two hp choices.

German market bought almost half of those 900 April sales. Why would you think that the Ford EU's main markets are not buying the Edge?

Galaxy's only real market is the taxi cab sales in UK and Germany. Retail buyers (which in Europe includes "fleet sale" aka company cars) generally choose S-Max.

Edge has a couple of challenges... it lacks 7 seat options (so S-Max buyers are not swayed by it), and for the same price, you can buy a luxury brand SUV (albeit a smaller less equipped one). The idea for Edge is for Ford to hold on to those company car buyers coming out of their Mondeo. But the idea is a little flawed because if those buyers are ditching cars, switching brands is natural. In another word, Ford has a lot of homework to do to build up Edge's brand in Europe. After all, it is a brand new nameplate. I suspect most of the Edge sales is probably taking place outside of the Big 5 markets.

In the UK, edge starts at £35,510 which is much higher than S-Max at £26,450

So Ford has their money on Edge,

Titanium £35,510

ST Line £38,675

Vignale £40,775

Mondeo starts at £19,450 which is nearly half the price...

Zetec Edition............£19,450

Titanium Edition.......£22,800

ST Line....................£22,990

ST Line Edition........£25,290

Titanium Hybrid.......£26,050

Vignale....................£27,590

So there is significant differenc between mondeo's price and that of Edge.

New Focus interior looks good

gbrcge02yymbs-hcvs-dxacmaa(a)(a)5zszhint

Edited by jpd80