Interesting Anecdote from Development Team for Mach 1

Im actually surprised a manufacturer hasnt chummed up with Apple and just made a slot in the dash into which an Apple Tablet can be inserted that interfaces with the cars system through FordPass or the like........

• Like 1

Im actually surprised a manufacturer hasnt chummed up with Apple and just made a slot in the dash into which an Apple Tablet can be inserted that interfaces with the cars system through FordPass or the like........

Great idea till someone forgets to secure it and it goes flying and kills a passenger/driver-just saying. That would be a big impediment to being implemented. Its not small like a cell phone.

That will never pass a crash test evaluation.

And also why turn over one of the most essential part of the your product (the user interface) to a company that has no vested interest in your success (or your relationship with your customer)?

There needs to be room for a normal 8 navigation map and other functions to the side like audio or vehicle functions. Thats what most seem to be doing. Not a fan of the taller screen.

If they can find a way to contour the screen to the dash, it will improve the looks.

It's like 10,000x safer to adjust via the screen than your phone. I could explain why, but if you don't think there is any difference, it's not worth my time to type it out.

I don't touch my phone while driving. How is that 10,000x less safe? If I need nav, I just tell my phone where I want to go before I start driving. Then I set it on the console so I can see the map at a glance. And it reads the directions through the car's audio system via bluetooth.

What's so unsafe about that?

I have seen aftermarket options for this. I considered doing this with my last Mustang (2005 model).

I don't touch my phone while driving. How is that 10,000x less safe? If I need nav, I just tell my phone where I want to go before I start driving. Then I set it on the console so I can see the map at a glance. And it reads the directions through the car's audio system via bluetooth.

If you don't actually touch your phone while driving, then my apologies. I just find that hard to believe. Even with nav, it's much safer to look at a much larger, well-positioned screen for a second than a small phone.

If you don't actually touch your phone while driving, then my apologies. I just find that hard to believe. Even with nav, it's much safer to look at a much larger, well-positioned screen for a second than a small phone.

So it sounds like I'm not missing a whole lot. I will admit, not everyone would think to put an aftermarket head unit in their pre-touchscreen-era car. But I was amazed at the features and functionality that an $80 Pioneer head unit delivered. Truth be told I only bought it because I needed a single-din head unit since I converted half of the original double-din space in the dash to mechanical gauges when I did the turbo engine swap. The connectivity with my phone is worth far more than the $80 I paid for the head unit though. It is way safer than fumbling with the phone while driving. Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

I'm a tech geek and I love all the gadgets. I just think it's cool I can "project" Waze or Apple Maps or Pandora or Amazon Music on my car stereo and have access to much of the phone functionality through the head unit. It's a "one stop shop" for nav, music, A/C, heated/cooled seats, etc. And I don't have to look at or touch my phone.

But hey, not everyone is like me. :)

• Like 1

I'm a tech geek and I love all the gadgets. I just think it's cool I can "project" Waze or Apple Maps or Pandora or Amazon Music on my car stereo and have access to much of the phone functionality through the head unit. It's a "one stop shop" for nav, music, A/C, heated/cooled seats, etc. And I don't have to look at or touch my phone.

But hey, not everyone is like me. :)

Im really loving the Sync 3 interface. It feels like Im going back to the Stone Age when I get into my older car with Sync gen.1
  • Like 1

What I think would be really cool is if they let you access the real-time data from the ECU on the vehicle's touchscreen. Much like what you see on the datalogging screen when using a tuner. To be able to see a/f ratio, fuel trims, MAF a/d counts, injector pulsewidth, exhaust temp, throttle position, total timing, etc would be amazing. It'd also be very helpful when troubleshooting a mechanical issue.

Sync 3 is great mostly because it lets you use CarPlay or Android Auto which are AWESOME! The native Sync 3 feature set and voice control are still unremarkable/terrible but at least it works fairly smoothly and reliably and isn't terrible to navigate. I still prefer to use CarPlay whenever possible but the big problem is that it obscures the native Sync 3 interface unless you switch between CarPlay and Sync 3. This is where the tall screen in Volvo and RAM comes in handy because it allows better unification. Unfortunately Ford took a somewhat outdated route by designing their dashboards with the floating widescreen which won't make that possible.

I also have to give credit to FCA for including USB-C connectors in their new vehicles alongside USB-A. Ford tends to be on the trailing edge of tech among the Detroit 3 since Mullally left but when they get around to it they usually push it over everything fairly quickly.

Edited by Assimilator

Sync 3 is great mostly because it lets you use CarPlay or Android Auto which are AWESOME! The native Sync 3 feature set and voice control are still unremarkable/terrible but at least it works fairly smoothly and reliably and isn't terrible to navigate. I still prefer to use CarPlay whenever possible but the big problem is that it obscures the native Sync 3 interface unless you switch between CarPlay and Sync 3. This is where the tall screen in Volvo and RAM comes in handy because it allows better unification. Unfortunately Ford took a somewhat outdated route by designing their dashboards with the floating widescreen which won't make that possible.

I also have to give credit to FCA for including USB-C connectors in their new vehicles alongside USB-A. Ford tends to be on the trailing edge of tech among the Detroit 3 since Mullally left but when they get around to it they usually push it over everything fairly quickly.

I don't like that CarPlay takes over the entire system and doesn't let you use the car's nav system.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a USB-C connector? (And USB-A for that matter)

I don't like that CarPlay takes over the entire system and doesn't let you use the car's nav system.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a USB-C connector? (And USB-A for that matter)

Car Play and Android Auto are going to render on board Nav systems irrelevant and obsolete much like the onboard nav system did to standalone Garmin and TomTom units.

USB-A (USB II or USB 3 if wer are being really technical) is the USB port you are probably familiar with and has been around for ages. USB-C is a new connector thats smaller and can be plugged in multi-directional like the Apple lightning connector. Its supposedly faster too but I personally have never noticed a difference.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

A BEV SUV really doesn't appeal to me. I'm happy Ford are making one (I know its the future) but I do NOT like the references to the Mustang or Mach 1. A new Mach 1 should be a 5.2 CPC V8 with the option of the 10-speed auto. It would fit between the GT PP2 and the GT500. Give it 530hp/450 lb ft.

THAT is along the lines of what Team GT would have done ;)

A new Mach 1 configured as you suggest is exactly what I was hoping for since I became interested in owning another Mustang early last year. After the Mach 1 EV video came out, I gave up hope and ordered a Mustang GT 5.0 last month.

If youre setting it on the console then youre looking down further than you would with a built in screen. Every second spent looking down greatly increases your chances of an accident.

Manufacturers are starting to put out fully functional heads up displays with navigation guidance. That way you never have to look down from the road.

A new Mach 1 configured as you suggest is exactly what I was hoping for since I became interested in owning another Mustang early last year. After the Mach 1 EV video came out, I gave up hope and ordered a Mustang GT 5.0 last month.

Why? That video didnt show anything

Why? That video didnt show anything

That was part of the reason. The Mach 1 lettering shown was exactly the same as the deck lid on my '70 Mach 1, but Ford has not leaked a thing about a 50th anniversary Mach 1 Mustang like was done with the Boss, Bullitt, GT-350, and GT-500 versions prior to their release. Maybe the next Mach 1 will be the hybrid-electric Mustang in 2020, but I want a Mustang now since driving my Super Duty every single day for 2 more years won't cut it. :-)