Interesting Anecdote from Development Team for Mach 1

Interesting little tidbit about the development of the Mach 1:

Team Edison was recently in China to study EV buyers there and discovered that they like larger display screens than what was originally planned for the Mach 1. Some wanted to suggest changing the size of the display, but others hesitated because the traditional Ford product development process says it's too late for a change that substantial.

"Everybody felt they were doing the right thing," Thai-Tang said. "One team was trying to react to customer trends; the other was trying to protect engineering discipline."

That's when he reminded them to think of the GT team.

"The Ford GT had a very singular mission: Go back to Le Mans and beat Ferrari," he said. "If we have a singular mission now, it's to launch this car in 2020 and for it to be our best BEV vehicle. If the GT team found out Ferrari had some competitive advantage that would give them the edge at Le Mans, how would we react? We'd do anything possible to figure out how to replicate it and beat them. Why are we not taking the same approach?"

They did, and decided to make the late change.

Complete story: http://www.autonews.com/article/20180515/BLOG06/180519854/fords-team-edison-moves-fast-on-electric-crossover?cciid=email-autonews-&profile=1657

• Like 4

Good news! Ford should focus on becoming a nimble company that can makes changes quickly.

Large screens are going to be a requirement for many models going forward. Fords 8 inch screens are amongst the smallest in the industry now.

Edited by blazerdude20
  • Like 2

Anything bigger than 0" is too much for my tastes. Nothing ruins a dash faster than plastering some gaudy screen smack in the middle of it. Yet another reason the chances of me ever buying another new car get smaller and smaller with each passing day.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

Anything bigger than 0" is too much for my tastes. Nothing ruins a dash faster than plastering some gaudy screen smack in the middle of it. Yet another reason the chances of me ever buying another new car get smaller and smaller with each passing day.

As long as you realize you're in the ever shrinking minority, that's fine to have that be your opinion.

• Like 5

Bigger screens are the future. However, with bigger screens come bigger distractions. That's why systems that monitor your eyes are important (such as in the CT6). Now if they could only accompany said warning to look at the road with the late R. Lee Ermy screaming at you to look at the road (complete with swearing). I'd pay for that.

• Like 2

Making a "late change" implies development of the Mach 1 is well along. Wonder when we'll see prototypes running around Dearborn and Detroit (Team Edison Headquarters)?

I'm sure the E1 drive components were testing in plain sight... the drivetrain integration, engineering, and field testing could have been done with mules - perhaps a fleet of Focus or C-Max with gutted engine bay and we would never know it.

The prototype with MACH1 specific bodywork should be out soon if late 2019 or early 2020 is the launch date.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

You really need to get in a time machine and go back to the early 70s and just stay there. You really have an emotional bias that’s preventing you from even acknowledging anything new. If you’d be a little more open minded you might find that these new things aren’t nearly as bad as you think they are.

• Like 1

Good news! Ford should focus on becoming a nimble company that can makes changes quickly.

Large screens are going to be a requirement for many models going forward. Fords 8 inch screens are amongst the smallest in the industry now.

I too am glad to hear this. Although larger screens really arent necessary, I believe they are necessary to give the vehicles that modern look considering most other manufacturers will adopt them as Tesla and Ram already have. You dont want to give the appearance youre behind the times, especially when those LCDs are now cheap.

You really need to get in a time machine and go back to the early 70s and just stay there. You really have an emotional bias thats preventing you from even acknowledging anything new. If youd be a little more open minded you might find that these new things arent nearly as bad as you think they are.

I'm happy up thru about 1996.

Funny, I love the technological advances but I just looked at the RAM interior and I don't really like it. That being said I want a big screen in a new modern car. Maybe it would be better to use two screens so there can be a bend in the middle or figure out hoe to curve the screen. It is the big flat area that is the problem, on Tesla too. This is new and i am sure with each passing new design it will improve. I just hope Ford is not behind the curve with the design and technology. If they are not going to have entry level cars I think they need to draw in those moving up out of more base vehicles ans design and technology is important to the younger buyer i think.

You really need to get in a time machine and go back to the early 70s and just stay there.

Wish that were possible. I love Ford's 1970 lineup. LTD, Galaxie 500, Custom/Custom 500, Torino, Fairlane 500, Falcon, Mustang, Maverick.

• Like 1

Now if they could only accompany said warning to look at the road with the late R. Lee Ermy screaming at you to look at the road (complete with swearing). I'd pay for that.

I have the R Lee Ermy Garmin GPS voice. NSFW version has stuff like "Take a left turn maggot!" Wife doesn't like it. :-)

• Like 2

A BEV SUV really doesn't appeal to me. I'm happy Ford are making one (I know its the future) but I do NOT like the references to the Mustang or Mach 1. A new Mach 1 should be a 5.2 CPC V8 with the option of the 10-speed auto. It would fit between the GT PP2 and the GT500. Give it 530hp/450 lb ft.

THAT is along the lines of what Team GT would have done ;)

• Like 1

Though i believe self driving technology for the foreseeable future will still require someone behind the wheel, I do think it will reduce the negative consequences of distracted driving. Thus bigger screens will be necessary, hopefully not to have people reading the news or posting to FB but in order to use navigation, parking and transit location apps, and perhaps even video conferencing - particularly when doing highway driving.

Im fine with the 8, maybe bump it up to 10. I rarely use the touchscreen since its so much easier and safer to use the steering wheel controls. I wish theyd come out with more switches instead of buttons like the mustang has. Always thought those looked cool and were functional

Someone enlighten me... What's the point of having a screen on the dash? We all have phones and tablets, do we not? What does the dash screen accomplish that your phone or tablet cannot?

I just bluetooth my phone in and can control the audio from my phone. Same with navigation. I have have a mic on the steering column so I can talk on the phone while moving without having to hold the phone. All without a screen in the dash.

Again, what does the dash screen do that my phone can't?

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

Someone enlighten me... What's the point of having a screen on the dash? We all have phones and tablets, do we not? What does the dash screen accomplish that your phone or tablet cannot?

I just bluetooth my phone in and can control the audio from my phone. Same with navigation. I have have a mic on the steering column so I can talk on the phone while moving without having to hold the phone. All without a screen in the dash.

Hmm. The ignore list is calling...

• Like 1

It's like 10,000x safer to adjust via the screen than your phone. I could explain why, but if you don't think there is any difference, it's not worth my time to type it out.

• Like 1