The Brutal Reality why Ford is Cutting Cars

I know that, it looks like an overgrown Prius..so I pray that Ford uses more Mondeo 5-door or SW in the mix.

I could see bringing the Mondeo 5 door or SW to the US only if the new Buick Regal is a surprise success, and so far it doesn't appear to be. I like both the Regal and the Mondeo 5 door and wagon, but I don't think any of them would sell well.

I could see bringing the Mondeo 5 door or SW to the US only if the new Buick Regal is a surprise success, and so far it doesn't appear to be. I like both the Regal and the Mondeo 5 door and wagon, but I don't think any of them would sell well.

Give Mondeo 5 door and Wagon the "Activ" treatment and call it a CUV (and of course, the "Fusion Activ" name)....it'll then sell well.

Imagine these with a 1-2 inch lift, the appropriate cladding and "off-road-ish" tires...

2013_ford_mondeo_wagon_rear.jpg

Ford-Mondeo-RS-1.jpg

Edited by twintornados

The S-Max and Galaxy may actually be discontinued since the MPV market has largely collapsed in Europe for the same reason vans collapsed in the US...Utilities. They need to get Explorer to Europe...or a more attractive Edge 3-Row...all things coming soon I imagine.

I actually don't understand the appeal of wagons, they've always had the worst vehicle proportions with both long rear rear overhangs that looks out scale on a low slung sedan. I aways see the sedan first and then the huge mass they tacked on the back to make it a wagon, to me that's a hideous transformation.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Well yes.... It was a Scout SS II ragtop floor shift automatic too. Or maybe I would rather have the 70 Model LT1 Z28 I traded in on it. For sure cant look back on past decisions, but sometimes I do wish I was 18 and know what I know now.

Drive them both into a 20-30 MPH wind (we get a lot of those around here) and you'll be shocked at how much better the Fusion will do with MPG. My F-150 was rated like 18 city 21 highway and I never see better then 15-16 around town and 17-18 on the highway. I suppose if I poked along at 55-60 MPH and never drove against any wind I might, but in the real world I can't get close to the EPA ratings. Tall vehicles just aren't very aerodynamic and once you get to the bigger trucks you're pushing a box into the wind.

Biggest impact to MPG is driver action-if you putting your foot into the boost of an ecoboost engine, your going to kill your gas mileage. Ive seen this first hand with my SHO and my wife driving it and me driving her Escape.

Ive seen people get over 32 MPG one trip and then it go down to 27-28 MPG because of traffic,AC usage, etc.

Biggest impact to MPG is driver action-if you putting your foot into the boost of an ecoboost engine, your going to kill your gas mileage. Ive seen this first hand with my SHO and my wife driving it and me driving her Escape.

Ive seen people get over 32 MPG one trip and then it go down to 27-28 MPG because of traffic,AC usage, etc.

For me in New England, cold weather is a big factor too and I'm not someone to let the car warm in the driveway for fifteen min. either. We had weeks of 40 degree weather and 70 degree weather. I just get in the car and drive without warm up and the 70 degree days, give me at least 1 mpg.