2019 Ford Focus is already in production! See below:

I dont see Baby Bronco coming to an auto show before 2020.

Especially if Fusion is hanging around for a few more years.

If the Fiesta is going away in the next 18 months or so, I'd hope they show it off sooner then that. Since that is what I expect them to replace it with or use it as the Escape overflow with Baby Bronco as the prime product at that plant.

thats because Ford has absolutely nothing to show

They've done this even when they have stuff to show. By introducing vehicles at other times they get the entire PR stage to themselves. If you introduce something during the auto show you're lumped in with 30 other new vehicles.

• Like 1

They've done this even when they have stuff to show. By introducing vehicles at other times they get the entire PR stage to themselves. If you introduce something during the auto show you're lumped in with 30 other new vehicles.

If they had something new, they would probably still be there even if thats not where the reveal was.

If they had something new, they would probably still be there even if thats not where the reveal was.

Not necessarily. A lot of mfrs are pulling out of shows. Porsche pulled out of the Atlanta show a few years ago along with several others. It's just no longer necessary to introduce or show new vehicles in today's digital/social media world.

Not necessarily. A lot of mfrs are pulling out of shows. Porsche pulled out of the Atlanta show a few years ago along with several others. It's just no longer necessary to introduce or show new vehicles in today's digital/social media world.

I love going to the shows to kick the tires on new models (all in the same place). It's unfortunate that automakers are seeing them as increasingly unnecessary.

I love going to the shows to kick the tires on new models (all in the same place). It's unfortunate that automakers are seeing them as increasingly unnecessary.

The major auto show displays cost tens of millions of dollars to put together. Most are one off's that can't be moved to other shows. Remember when Ford launched the Explorer in 2010 (2011MY) they did it online, and it was crazy with the feedback they got on it. I suspect that will become more and more common. Ford happened to Crush it this year with the Ranger announcement but that really took every other manufactures wind out of their launches at NAIAS. Did Benz get value from a 4 million dollar launch with Arnold for the G-Wagon, there were a few photos from the event, but the photos used online and in most publications use stock photos.

I fully expect that area dealers groups will have shows, they just won't be nearly as elaborate as they have become with 10 million dollar LED walls and displays. Or Benz when it launched 4matic on all their models and their entire display was ice.

I think its more of a society thing than anything else. I like going to them myself, but it seems like places that used to have mass gatherings of people (i.e. malls etc) are going by the way side.

• Like 1

It’s the same as social media. Back in the 80s if you wanted to see something new you had to go in person or wait a couple of months for magazines. Now it’s instantaneous. Same with hanging out with your friends. We had to do it in person - today’s kids do it electronically 24x7.

As I have mentioned before, in the near future you will go to "places" to try on shoes and clothing, and by the time you get home, your package will be waiting for you there. People are increasingly getting tired of the "process" to purchase something. What was a "nice" experience at one time, is becoming a burden... finding convenient parking in asphalt deserts, dodging kiosk salespeople, and being asked "what can I help you with" a second into walking a store and trying to upsell you items, and open high-interest rate store cards. Maybe being from Miami where per square foot our malls have the highest worth and transactions for the state, the experience for me became a game of "who's going to get it today, I'm looking for a victim" LOL...

• Like 1

The major auto show displays cost tens of millions of dollars to put together. Most are one off's that can't be moved to other shows. Remember when Ford launched the Explorer in 2010 (2011MY) they did it online, and it was crazy with the feedback they got on it. I suspect that will become more and more common. Ford happened to Crush it this year with the Ranger announcement but that really took every other manufactures wind out of their launches at NAIAS. Did Benz get value from a 4 million dollar launch with Arnold for the G-Wagon, there were a few photos from the event, but the photos used online and in most publications use stock photos.

I fully expect that area dealers groups will have shows, they just won't be nearly as elaborate as they have become with 10 million dollar LED walls and displays. Or Benz when it launched 4matic on all their models and their entire display was ice.

Oh I understand the logic of it, I just don't like it. At the same time, I'm there to see the cars, I don't need these massive intricate displays. Sure you could put up a nice wall/display board or something, but beyond that, my focus is on the cars.

Oh I understand the logic of it, I just don't like it. At the same time, I'm there to see the cars, I don't need these massive intricate displays. Sure you could put up a nice wall/display board or something, but beyond that, my focus is on the cars.

I think they will continue in that area, I actually like the local dealer shows as they focus on the cars, usually they have every brand there and while sales people are at the displays but you can sit in the cars and look around and don't have to deal with people that could never afford the cars that just destroy them breaking off knobs and trim and trying to take what every they can that isn't attached. LA/Detroit/Chicago regular days are all like that. Ford and GM's display this year at NAIAS was not nearly as fancy as last year, and next year they are scaling back even more.

I look at it this way save 50 million dollars in doing less fancy show displays in NA and that 50 million gives you $20-$25 more per vehicle sold in the N.A. market for features. Those features will sell more cars than a display will.

I agree. Just give me enough to tell me when Im in a different exhibit

The Detroit Show has always had the most elaborate and expensive exhibits and part of that may have been to maximize their footprint in the smallish venue. I'm sure there was also some crosstown rivalry there to upstage each other. Unfortunately the show has just gotten WAY too thin on exhibitors at this point and it's just not worth attending for public or the press and that tends to have a domino effect on the others. The remaining exhibitors are spending less on their exhibits and show vehicles are rare. The Lincoln exhibit this year was actually the most significant and obvious example of downsizing, I actually found it extremely sad and discouraging with very little to actually explore. Now is probably a good time for Ford to save some money and bow out of the traditional show circuit and just focus on standalone press events and social media, but I'm sure this will be a gradual transition. I think 2019 will be the final year for the Detroit Show.

Edited by Assimilator

Chang'an Ford submitted the new Focus to the Chinese Govt for type certification.

There will be 3 engine choices:

1.5 I3 122hp

1.0T I3 127hp

1.5T I3 184hp

Size wise, the hatchback is about the same as the current model but the sedan is significantly longer.

Current Focus sedan L x W x H // WB: 4,534mm x 1,823 x 1,483 // 2,648

New Focus sedan L x W x H // WB: 4,647mm x 1,810 x 1,468 // 2,705

New Focus sedan ST-Line L x W x H // WB: 4,671mm x 1,810 x 1,454 // 2,705

Current Focus hatch L x W x H // WB: 4,368mm x 1,823 x 1,483 // 2,648

New Focus hatch L x W x H // WB: 4,378mm x 1,810 x 1,468 // 2,705

New Focus hatch ST-Line L x W x H // WB: 4,404mm x 1,810 x 1,454 // 2,705

Chang'an Ford did not submit Focus Active for type certification... it will probably come later.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1