2019 Ford Focus is already in production! See below:

I cant speak for the body shop process as I have never been to that part of the plant (Ive spent every day of my time at MAP on door line except for 5 days), but for the most part it is that automated. That IP robot is different, we didnt have that. People do that job using hydraulic jigs at all Ford North American plants.

There was an interesting piece on automation on John McElroy's show not so long ago

There was an expert there explaining the pros and cons of robots and how the expense

is sometimes not worth the time savings - I think it was aimed more at tesla 3 build issues

the build quality is quite poor apparently.

So maybe robots work at some plants but the cost was prohibitive at others like MAP/Thailand..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

That is pretty amazing, just thinking about all the Math/Calculations and engineering that went in to designing those robots and the manufacturing process makes my head hurt! For some reason i really like the look of the FOCUS lettering on the back hood. Still not sold on the grill but the back and hood look great. I think the Focus has always been one of the better looking small entry level cars. It looks like it drives well. Too bad it got killed by the auto transmission they put in it.

Just an FYI, what we are getting in North America is slightly different than that and also imported from China. Get ready for a long wait.

I guess we will see the Focus Active at the Detroit or LA Auto show later this year.

I think they'll use Detroit for the Bronco and maybe the Baby Bronco.

• Like 3