3.0 Diesel test

Doing that test with a 3.0L Diesel is like doing a drag race with a 3.3L. That’s not at all what it’s built for.

Wait, I disagree with you???

The 3.0L diesel in the F150 was built to tow, while getting better fuel economy than the gas offerings. It did the job admirably (except for the failure, on a pre-production model, that will be fixed before production). Although it wasn't quite as quick ast he EcoBoost, it got substantially better fuel economy while doing it.

This engine will be great in the F150, and it puts the EcoDiesel to shame due to the much much higher payload than the Ram.

I was talking about the people who were complaining that it only did 45 mph uphill towing and that it was a failure. If you want to tow faster then both the 5.0 and 3.5LEB are available - or a superduty. Maybe I misunderstood those complaints.

• Like 1

Update (May 11th, 2018):

We heard back from Ford with an update to the issue we encountered. The truck you see here is a pre-production unit. Ford inspected the truck, identified the calibration issue, and said the calibration will be fixed when first production trucks start shipping to dealers within the next several weeks (end of May or in June 2018). When asked, Ford did not provide specifics of the calibration issue. However, the company said that all customer trucks will have this issue corrected.

----------

Is Ford even testing these trucks enough? This is the second Ford that TFL got that was bad. It was a pre-production, but it was released to the press for testing and was supposed to be ready to go and production is weeks away. Not buying the pre-production excuse. Looks terrible for Ford specially after the first gen EcoBoost issues when that truck was supposed to have been torture tested.

I am very familiar with that hill living here in Colorado. Uphill was respectable, as noted by the staff. Glad to hear they are fixing that downhill issue - luckily TFL is giving the truck a free pass and will test again. Let's hope we have a better result and this video goes away...

Or if you want to tow 8700 lbs up Ike Gauntlet at 60 mph and get good economy buy a 6.7 powerstroke Super Duty. I think it got like 4 mpg while towing 11,000 lbs at 60 mph

The the 3.5 Ecoboost smoked every other V8 in the class, they actually had to back off the throttle to keep it at the speed limit, whereas Dodge Hemi, Chevy/GM, Toyota and Nissan Half Tons could not even maintain the speed limit.

Just fix the downhill problem on this one -

TFL Truck is a bit of an odd website. I used to frequent it but not so much lately. Three reasons:

1. Some of their testers/commentators don't really know that much about the vehicles they are testing and they don't seem much interested in checking other sources for information.

2. Their focus is on extreme use of light duty trucks. The average consumer probably won't experience towing max loads up a mountain like the "Ike Gauntlet". In a lot of ways it is sort of irrelevant. Having said that I guess there are times when what they do is a good thing, like uncovering this issue with a computer program that needed to be corrected.

3. The comments section after each article is a joke. Most of the comments are extremely prejudiced and made by people who have no clue what they are talking about. The few voices of reason usually get drowned out by the idiots.

No 1 = "Mr Truck"

He can be cringe worthy sometimes.

I thought it was rather hilarious when he said they were filling the trucks with DEF because that helps them make some of their power. That was on the '18 F350/Ram 3500 Super Ike.

I don't know about the Fiascos, but that's sorta kinda true in the Chebbie Duramax. If you let the DEF tank run dry it limits you to 65mph...

I don't know about the Fiascos, but that's sorta kinda true in the Chebbie Duramax. If you let the DEF tank run dry it limits you to 65mph...

Well, if you run out of DEF, it will limit the truck to (I think) 50 MPH in the Ford (I think the other two are the same), but the DEF does NOTHING to help MAKE power. You just have to have enough DEF to keep it from limiting speed.

Actually, I think if you run out and drive a certain distance past an empty tank, it will limit the engine to only idle speed.

Well, if you run out of DEF, it will limit the truck to (I think) 50 MPH in the Ford (I think the other two are the same), but the DEF does NOTHING to help MAKE power. You just have to have enough DEF to keep it from limiting speed.

Depends on how you look at it. If you run out, it limits power, so...

But seriously, yeah, I agree with you; it does nothing to add power.

The the 3.5 Ecoboost smoked every other V8 in the class, they actually had to back off the throttle to keep it at the speed limit, whereas Dodge Hemi, Chevy/GM, Toyota and Nissan Half Tons could not even maintain the speed limit.

Just fix the downhill problem on this one -

Exactly,

The 3,0 Powerstroke is primarily there for that exemplary 30 mpg fuel economy number,

sure it can tow similar amounts as the EB 3.5 but it's not intended to be an uphill flier.

Where the EB 3.5 raced up hill and got 2.8 mpg, the diesel got 5.4 mpg.

What the test does not show is how well this engine tows on flatter terrain,

those drivers can look forward to saving plenty of dollars at the pump

• Like 1

No 1 = "Mr Truck"

He can be cringe worthy sometimes.

So can Roman. Remember his son Tommy's old F-250 Highboy? I think they called it "Rusty Boy". It had a bad camshaft lobe in the old 360. I was the one who explained why they needed to add ZDDP to the oil. Unfortunately, the damage was already done at that point.