3.0 Diesel test

Guys certainly things happen and bugs need to get worked out but cmon the Ike Gauntlet is going to be tested on any new pickup truck and full size suv.

Its not like Ford didnt know this was coming. For heavens sake Ford certainly loves the IG when the Ecoboost engines cream the competitions N/A V8s due to altitude horsepower loss.

The commercials say the F150 is the bar. Well if it is it MUST smoke the competition on the Ike Gauntlet like it or not.

Not saying it has to be the fastest but it damn well better execute its intended goals without hiccups.

Thats the second Ford failure on IG by a Ford this year. Tighten up!

• Like 1

There's a version of the V6 Diesel that is parallel sequential turbocharged and has 300hp and 516lbft, been on sale for many years in Europe and is Euro 6 compliant. If Ford really wanted put that in and certify for the US they could have. They must have thought it was too much extra PD effort, expensive and/or it stepped too much on the toes of the SD.

I have a hunch on the 2.0 I-6 Duramax, I suspect it will have much higher specific power and torque rating

more in line with say a 1.5 times version of a high tech 2.0 diesel where near 200 hp / 340 lb ft becomes 300 hp/ 500 lb ft

You can feel that GM is going to come out of the blocks hard on that thing so they can stamp authority in 1500 trucks and SUVs.

I thought the baby Duramax was going to be a 3.0L, not a 2.0L.

At least it's going to be an inline though. Ford must have transverse engine plans for the 3.0 V6 to bother doing a vee design with a turbo diesel. The turbo plumbing and fuel system layout is so much easier on an inline than a vee.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Guys certainly things happen and bugs need to get worked out but cmon the Ike Gauntlet is going to be tested on any new pickup truck and full size suv.

Its not like Ford didnt know this was coming. For heavens sake Ford certainly loves the IG when the Ecoboost engines cream the competitions N/A V8s due to altitude horsepower loss.

The commercials say the F150 is the bar. Well if it is it MUST smoke the competition on the Ike Gauntlet like it or not.

Not saying it has to be the fastest but it damn well better execute its intended goals without hiccups.

The big concern was that the hill descent / engine braking went into limp mode after the diesel

kept compression braking up to 4500 rpm - is this a one off or do they all do it?

I'm thinking that this is either a one off or a maybe sensor went out...

Ike gauntlet is the unofficial test for Trucks but F150's only competitor is the Ram Ecodiesel,

From what I gather, Silverado doesn't have the 3.0 Duramax yet

I'm hoping that the problem is going to be a reflash fix and forget.

The failure with the SD was unfortunate but not indicative of the rest.

Edited by jpd80

I watched that video yesterday. I'm suspecting the issue is more with the transmission. It doesn't like holding back the weight and was shutting itself down. That's why 10 minutes after it had time to cool off, it was fine again. It happened when at max revs for quite some time.

To me it just smells more like a trans issue than the engine. It could be something to protect the engine, but my bet is on trans tune. It wasn't a temp overload though according to the dash.

I was at my local dealer for service on my SuperDuty the other day. I was talking about the new diesel with my salesman and he said that the engineers were having a problem calibrating the transmission with this engine. :cry:

Edited by danglin
  • Like 1

Update (May 11th, 2018):

We heard back from Ford with an update to the issue we encountered. The truck you see here is a pre-production unit. Ford inspected the truck, identified the calibration issue, and said the calibration will be fixed when first production trucks start shipping to dealers within the next several weeks (end of May or in June 2018). When asked, Ford did not provide specifics of the calibration issue. However, the company said that all customer trucks will have this issue corrected.

----------

Is Ford even testing these trucks enough? This is the second Ford that TFL got that was bad. It was a pre-production, but it was released to the press for testing and was supposed to be ready to go and production is weeks away. Not buying the pre-production excuse. Looks terrible for Ford specially after the first gen EcoBoost issues when that truck was supposed to have been torture tested.

Update (May 11th, 2018):

----------

We heard back from Ford with an update to the issue we encountered. The truck you see here is a pre-production unit. Ford inspected the truck, identified the calibration issue, and said the calibration will be fixed when first production trucks start shipping to dealers within the next several weeks (end of May or in June 2018). When asked, Ford did not provide specifics of the calibration issue. However, the company said that all customer trucks will have this issue corrected.

Is Ford even testing these trucks enough? This is the second Ford that TFL got that was bad. It was a pre-production, but it was released to the press for testing and was supposed to be ready to go and production is weeks away. Not buying the pre-production excuse. Looks terrible for Ford specially after the first gen EcoBoost issues when that truck was supposed to have been torture tested.

Amen! We hear all this stuff about testing countless hours and miles. And what happens? The press gets it and there is an issue. Think perhaps the Gauntlet should be high on that torture list??

• Like 1

Amen! We hear all this stuff about testing countless hours and miles. And what happens? The press gets it and there is an issue. Think perhaps the Gauntlet should be high on that torture list??

What makes you think it wasn't? The real world is a chaotic system, and it's simply not possible to test for every set of circumstances that a vehicle could see. You could run that course several times per day every day for a year and still not see the specific set of circumstances that triggered that fault; it just comes with running a complex machine in the real world...

Yes but two failures by marquis products from one manufacturer is just too much in the course of one year.

These were both F series trucks and Ford Im sorry to say is treading on impossibly thin ice in the diesel powered light truck category after the 6.0 and 6.4 debacle.

Ford MUST get this right.

What makes you think it wasn't? The real world is a chaotic system, and it's simply not possible to test for every set of circumstances that a vehicle could see. You could run that course several times per day every day for a year and still not see the specific set of circumstances that triggered that fault; it just comes with running a complex machine in the real world...

Well I hope you are correct. If they did, and if the trans holding right at the red line is a normal thing, perhaps it should have a message light that says..."apply slight braking"????

TFL Truck is a bit of an odd website. I used to frequent it but not so much lately. Three reasons:

1. Some of their testers/commentators don't really know that much about the vehicles they are testing and they don't seem much interested in checking other sources for information.

2. Their focus is on extreme use of light duty trucks. The average consumer probably won't experience towing max loads up a mountain like the "Ike Gauntlet". In a lot of ways it is sort of irrelevant. Having said that I guess there are times when what they do is a good thing, like uncovering this issue with a computer program that needed to be corrected.

3. The comments section after each article is a joke. Most of the comments are extremely prejudiced and made by people who have no clue what they are talking about. The few voices of reason usually get drowned out by the idiots.

• Like 3

TFL Truck is a bit of an odd website. I used to frequent it but not so much lately. Three reasons:

1. Some of their testers/commentators don't really know that much about the vehicles they are testing and they don't seem much interested in checking other sources for information.

2. Their focus is on extreme use of light duty trucks. The average consumer probably won't experience towing max loads up a mountain like the "Ike Gauntlet". In a lot of ways it is sort of irrelevant. Having said that I guess there are times when what they do is a good thing, like uncovering this issue with a computer program that needed to be corrected.

3. The comments section after each article is a joke. Most of the comments are extremely prejudiced and made by people who have no clue what they are talking about. The few voices of reason usually get drowned out by the idiots.

I completely agree. Pickuptrucks.com is the same as far as the comments. Someone here posted you need brain bleach after reading them. Its truly amazing the comments from the uneducated. Arm chair critics are the worst.

Heres my two cents on all these trucks. Truthfully I believe any of the big selling trucks you could purchase would do anything people need. The segment is so competitive that I dont think you could go wrong with any brand. Its all a matter of preference and perspective. For some reason red necks and their trucks have a bond like no other. I mean if you get a tattoo of a bow tie or a blue oval or a Ram.......geez!

• Like 2

In reference to #2....usually, people will never use their truck to the extreme end of rated capability because if you were hauling that trailer on a daily basis and wanted a diesel, you'd likely opt for an F250 with a 6.7L Powerstroke....but in the case of the the F150 with its lower rated Powerstroke, most purchasers will be completely satisfied with its daily performance and drive-ability....still, it is interesting indeed to watch trucks pushed to their limits...

Wasnt the first ford truck to give them a issue was a belt tensioner on a 6.2 superduty truck? I see neither one of these issues inexcusable. Have you seen car and driver long term drive of the titan? It had chronic cel and limp issues.

Im not a conspiracy theorist, but if you watch those videos, there is a lot of editing. Anything could have happened to contribute to any of these issues. Its quite possible just some factory defects but I wouldnt rule everything out as I was not there.

Reflashes are extremely common. Hell Tesla does it over the air constantly and its Not burning fuel under different conditions.

My opinion is engineers are trying to calibrate a pcm to be the best of all worlds, get the best fuel mileage, best power, best drivability, quietest , and meet emissions standards at the same time. Thats a tall order to get that right under every circumstance and drivIng style. I cant tell you how many customers come back and ask if I can put the old calibration back in the pcm because the new one changed something and it was better before.

• Like 1

Yes but two failures by marquis products from one manufacturer is just too much in the course of one year.

These were both F series trucks and Ford Im sorry to say is treading on impossibly thin ice in the diesel powered light truck category after the 6.0 and 6.4 debacle.

Yes, they must because I'm really getting tired of Ford having record F series sales month after month. These tests definitely take a toll on what buyers think and sway them away.

Come on Ford, get your crap together.

• Like 4

There's been absolutely no push back from customers on the first failure which looks like a one off (water pump?)

the 3.0 Powerstroke is marketed as a commercial grade diesel so I guess there is an expectation of it being able to

tow its max loads up and down hills. Ike Gauntlet is the extreme if that and maybe Ford should have covered it but

really, max towing up and down hills like this is never the primary focus of either Ford or its customers.

Any one buying a powerstroke to do semi continuous towing like that should go fit a diesel brake anyway

as this is way outside the intended part time use of the truck

Edited by jpd80

Yes, they must because I'm really getting tired of Ford having record F series sales month after month. These tests definitely take a toll on what buyers think and sway them away.

That's what I was about to say: the sales figures speak for themselves; the Scorpion has all but eliminated the memory of the last two Navistars.

There's been absolutely no push back from customers on the first failure which looks like a one off (water pump?)

the 3.0 Powerstroke is marketed as a commercial grade diesel so I guess there is an expectation of it being able to

tow its max loads up and down hills. Ike Gauntlet is the extreme if that and maybe Ford should have covered it but

really, max towing up and down hills like this is never the primary focus of either Ford or its customers.

Any one buying a powerstroke to do semi continuous towing like that should go fit a diesel brake anyway

as this is way outside the intended part time use of the truck

That's what I was about to say: the sales figures speak for themselves; the Scorpion has all but eliminated the memory of the last two Navistars.

I hope youre right guys. I just dont think that shaky introductions on a watershed product like the F150 diesel arent a very good thing.

I dont think the Ram Ecodiesel has this problem though I admit I dont remember TFL testing it this way. Im sure they have I just dont remember seeing it.

As far as the Navistar diesel era problems not affected buyers psyche I wish yall were right. Im a bit more skeptical there are far too many in service still and expensive and unusual repairs still happen every day.