'18 EcoSport Reviewed

I think the review is good other than uninspiring power.

I am curious as to the decision to offer the 1 and 2 litre where a

1.5 EB would do well.

Writer does point to a diesel to overcome torque issues which makes me

wonder if the 2 litre EcoBlue might be a viable option.

I know styling is subjective, but the Ecosport is just plain ugly. The interior looks okay, but the exterior is just weird & disproportionate. When compared to the competition like the Chevy Trax & Jeep Compass, it looks even worse. Hopefully the next gen looks a lot better.

Ford-Ecosport-ou-Jeep-Compass-Compare-e-

577def9a85fa8.jpg

I know styling is subjective, but the Ecosport is just plain ugly. The interior looks okay, but the exterior is just weird & disproportionate. When compared to the competition like the Chevy Trax & Jeep Compass, it looks even worse. Hopefully the next gen looks a lot better.

Ford-Ecosport-ou-Jeep-Compass-Compare-e-

577def9a85fa8.jpg

Gotta like how that comparison uses the old/pre-refresh EcoSport vs. the new Compass.

The Ecosport is a belated trigger-pull into a quickly growing market. In Ford's defense, it's hard to believe that anyone foresaw something as visually repugnant as the Nissan Juke being some kind of trend-setter. Why would people want tiny "faux-by-four" CUVs that were basically subcompacts with additional weight and lower mpg?

Yeah, well, I still have no concept of the desire for SUVs redone as "coupes", basically trading away some of their utility for a swoopier roofline. Obviously, I'm not getting the trendy memos.

called it....sincerely, at least in America, there is no place for the 1.0 ecoboost in a vehicle...its failed in every single one...great little engine that it is, anything ( and this applies to the 2.0 as well ) with a curb weight hovering arouns 3000lbs and above kills the power to weight ratio....

Issue is that the Ecosport is almost a Foot shorter than the Compass/C-HR and 6" shorter than the Trax/Encore. The SUV between Ecosport and the next Escape (Maverick?) will be more competition for them than the Ecosport. Ecosport is more of a Kia Soul Competitor.

I think the Ecosport looks good - the Compass looks better but as pointed out above it is a larger vehicle. But 20k for a stripped down Fiesta Wagon that doesn't have Sync 3 seems expensive. The Non Sync radio display looks hideous and ruins an otherwise decent dash.

Ecosport It's a car that's been in the same generation for six years. It's obviously not as competitive as it was in 2013. Here in Brazil, where the steppe is mandatory, it still comes with it hanging in the trunk, and this is somewhat rustic, in a car that has modern design

The Ecosport is a belated trigger-pull into a quickly growing market. In Ford's defense, it's hard to believe that anyone foresaw something as visually repugnant as the Nissan Juke being some kind of trend-setter. Why would people want tiny "faux-by-four" CUVs that were basically subcompacts with additional weight and lower mpg?

Um... a lot of people did. Which is why everyone has one on the market. I predicted that that segment will reach 500k in the US a couple years back on this very forum when Buck Encore came out... before Chevy Trax, Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3, Jeep Renegade, Fiat 500X, Toyota CH-R, Nissan Kicks, Hyundai Kona, Kia Stonic

Also, Ford was the first car company to offer a subcompact utility in the world so they should know better. EcoSport came out in Brazil in 2003... Ford had a huge head start to get it right for US and Europe and they just blew it.

And just food for thought... Nissan just announced pricing for Kicks and it starts $2k cheaper than EcoSport. https://www.motor1.com/news/241537/2018-nissan-kicks-starting-price/

• Like 1

Let's see how actual buyers take to them, Ford may not have particularly high expectations with sales

and perhaps around 5,000 to 6,000 is good fishing for an existing global product that was never

intended for sale outside of BRIC countries.

If you think these units are bad spare a thought for buyers of the earlier units that landed in Australia

and Europe, those earlier examples were really rough diamonds, additions like sync and better

materials on the interior fit and finish are essential to customers in North America. I can imagine

that Ford already knows what it has to change on the Next Generation to make it a better fit.

It's a great little unit but I have this feeling that quite a few buyers will compare it to Focus Active

and go," yeah, nah it's Focus Active for me." which is probably part of Ford plan for diversity.

Edited by jpd80

FWIW - Those pics were from a quick Google image search. The refresh didn't change it all that much anyway.

I disagree. The front facia on the model being sold in the US looks significantly better than that.

I do however think the price is $2000 too high for what it is.

I suspect the EcoSport is low priority for Ford because it's a hard vehicle to make competitive for the US while still serving the strict needs of its larger global customer. We are still years away from an EcoSport successor, by which time I hope we have Maverick which is likely better suited to take on those customers anyway and drop EcoSport. I am disappointed Ford brought the aging EcoSport to the US since it indicates an unusual lack of foresight in their product planning. Ranger is another product that has arrived very late in its lifecycle with minimal updates to patch it up for the US market. On the surface it looks a little like old scatter-brained Ford at work desperately clawing at their last minute options.

Edited by Assimilator