Focus and C-Max Production Ends

The last C-Max actually rolled off the line on the 28th of April. I installed the right front door panel on it.

Wonder what our friend Fuzzy will be doing now.

Ill be back for the Ranger, but I will be (unfortunately) moving to body shop. No clue what my job will be, what shift I will be on (they are keeping 2 over there so it will probably be nights), or even what my return date is. All I got is a we will call you.
  • Like 6

The last C-Max actually rolled off the line on the 28th of April. I installed the right front door panel on it. Ill be back for the Ranger, but I will be (unfortunately) moving to body shop. No clue what my job will be, what shift I will be on (they are keeping 2 over there so it will probably be nights), or even what my return date is. All I got is a we will call you.

Let's all hope the best for you!

What did you trade it in for?

Good luck to you..

2018 Blue Metallic Fusion. Ive been meaning to post pics but havent had a chance. Now that Im off work for a bit Im catching up on stuff I havent been able to get done since starting 50 hour weeks in January.
  • Like 1

Focus inventory should be fairly well dried up and picked through within the next 3-4 months. We probably won't see the sales plummet for another 2-3 months. There's no way to get around the math on the big sales loss they are about to go through over the next 12 months as they wipe away Focus/C-Max which is why I think they wanted to get everybody onboard with the sedans are dead thing. I think it's quite possible Ford will rank 3rd in Detroit by the end of the year, they just don't have new products right now to sell as they transition. Ford will probably regain some ground with Ranger next year, but you'll need to look at 2020 before Ford sales start recovering the car loss with new products. In either case, it's going to look bleak before it looks positive.

Edited by Assimilator

Focus inventory should be fairly well dried up and picked through within the next 3-4 months. We probably won't see the sales plummet for another 2-3 months. There's no way to get around the math on the big sales loss they are about to go through over the next 12 months as they wipe away Focus/C-Max which is why I think they wanted to get everybody onboard with the sedans are dead thing. I think it's quite possible Ford will rank 3rd in Detroit by the end of the year, they just don't have new products right now to sell as they transition. Ford will probably regain some ground with Ranger next year, but you'll need to look at 2020 before Ford sales start recovering the car loss with new products. In either case, it's going to look bleak before it looks positive.

Sales volume, yes, but I honestly don't think losing Focus sales is going to affect profits. Might actually increase profits.

Need I remind everyone that GM was #1 in sales when they went bankrupt.

• Like 1

Sales volume, yes, but I honestly don't think losing Focus sales is going to affect profits. Might actually increase profits.

Need I remind everyone that GM was #1 in sales when they went bankrupt.

If sales are falling at the same rate as profits are increasing, its a wash anyway and youre right back where you started.

Aren't they still paying everyone at the plant partial wages during the layoff? I find it hard to believe that the Focus was loosing money if you take certain fixed and overhead costs out of the equation. With Fusion being a "discontinued" model for the next 2 years and thus another volume/revenue hit, I really worry that Ford will be able to cover the overhead costs (including the executive suite and train station) and still deliver improved Earnings Per Share.

Also out there is the bad rep the Focus/Fiesta transmission got, Focus was a great car that indoctrinated many into being Ford Buyers. I still don't see what the new indoctrination vehicle will be - the Escape seems to pricey and the Ecosport seems to have constraints on volume.

Edited by Fordowner

Meh. Good riddance. Focus was just Ford's latest econobox offering. Tight and cramped inside, coarse 4 banger, and a screwed up trans, compounded by the fact that Ford limited the manual option (only available solution to that dastardly auto) to certain undesirable configurations/trim levels. Nothing much to miss there outside of the ST/RS, which came from Europe anyways.

There's no reason the focus should be missed more than Tempo, Grenada, Windstar, or other crappy cars from Ford's past.

Aren't they still paying everyone at the plant partial wages during the layoff?

Yes. Ford pays us the difference what unemployment doesnt up to 70% of our normal pay based on a 40 hour check (excluding shift premium if applicable). There are also people still working during the layoff like Team Leaders and Utilities (basically alternate team leaders) and obviously skilled trades.

I find it hard to believe that the Focus was loosing money if you take certain fixed and overhead costs out of the equation.

When I can go buy a reasonably well loaded Focus SE for 13k for the last 8 months or so its hard to see how they can profit on that at all. Ive heard that the Focus hasnt been profitable since 3rd shift was eliminated.

Meh. Good riddance. Focus was just Ford's latest econobox offering. Tight and cramped inside, coarse 4 banger, and a screwed up trans, compounded by the fact that Ford limited the manual option (only available solution to that dastardly auto) to certain undesirable configurations/trim levels.

The 1.0 didnt have the DCT, but you couldnt really get any desirable options with it. Dumb decision there.

Nothing much to miss there outside of the ST/RS, which came from Europe anyways.

only the RS came from Europe. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Aren't they still paying everyone at the plant partial wages during the layoff? I find it hard to believe that the Focus was loosing money if you take certain fixed and overhead costs out of the equation. With Fusion being a "discontinued" model for the next 2 years and thus another volume/revenue hit, I really worry that Ford will be able to cover the overhead costs (including the executive suite and train station) and still deliver improved Earnings Per Share.

I still don't see what the new indoctrination vehicle will be - the Escape seems to pricey and the Ecosport seems to have constraints on volume.

Killing Focus allows them to bring in Ranger and Bronco - both with much higher ATPs and higher profit potential. Same factory. You can't look at these product cancellations as stand alone things - they're ending some products while putting those resources into new products.

E.g. there is at least one new utility between Escape and Ecosport, maybe 2 including baby bronco. And don't forget - hybrids for everybody.

13K? Geez maybe i need to look. Seeing how i like manual transmissions - Getting a Focus for under 17K seems like a steal. But I don't really want another car in the Driveway and I don't want to give up my 2007 Mustang as I've grown attached to it.