Sound system - panel rattle?

Breedy00

I've had the Navigator about a week and really love it. The few times I've been driving without the family, I've been testing the Revel Ultima system. On some bass heavy tracks at decent volume, I've noticed significant panel vibrations and rattles from the passenger door and in the rear cargo area. I've put my hand on the panel in the rear where the sub is and can make it stop when pushing the panel in, but it's back as soon as I move my hand. Anyone else have this issue? As another reference point, I've got a Jeep SRT with the 19 speaker HK system and it's just as good as the Revel with not a hint of rattle with the same tracks at the same volume.

A vehicle at this price point should be rattle free at minimum regardless of the stereo volume. Its probably a quick fix and something that wouldnt be noticed until after a couple days of ownership I wouldnt think. Sounds like it may be time to try out their pick up/drop off service to have it looked at.

Edited by boredinbirmingham

Price has nothing to do with it - even a $20K Focus should be rattle free. Just let the dealer check it - its usually a simple fix.

It should also be free of front end noises but my dealer doesnt believe me. 2 screwed up tires says otherwise but what do I know? Im just an idiot customer

You do know you can go to a different dealer, right?

Im hoping my dealer service is good, the sales experianced was great but its a tiny dealership because we are in a smallish town, there is a much larger dealer about 30-40 min away. What should I expect from a small dealership vs larger one? I know its a vague question but we wanted to buy local but I want the best mechanic.

Im hoping my dealer service is good, the sales experianced was great but its a tiny dealership because we are in a smallish town, there is a much larger dealer about 30-40 min away. What should I expect from a small dealership vs larger one? I know its a vague question but we wanted to buy local but I want the best mechanic.

Size doesn't really matter - it really depends on the quality of the service mgrs and techs. If you have problems talk to the service manager first then take it to the general manager/owner if necessary.

Size doesn't really matter - it really depends on the quality of the service mgrs and techs. If you have problems talk to the service manager first then take it to the general manager/owner if necessary.

Thanks for the advice. You are always extremely helpful to me and I appreciate that. In fact, I should thank you for suggesting x plan to me way back several months, if not for that my wife wouldnt have let us get the Navigator and we would be in the Expedition instead. I feel like I should buy you dinner or something haha.

Just basic information - nothing special but happy to help out. Were moving to a new house in Canton in a couple of months - if youre ever up that way let me know.

I have a friend that just moved to that area, I cant believe how much its changes since I the 90s when I was in high school. Totally nuts.

You should see Forsyth County/Cumming which is where we’re leaving after 23 years. Overcrowded schools, terrible traffic and they’re continuing to build more subdivisions. They’ve built 3 new high schools the last 10 years (in addition to the 3 existing ones) and they all have trailers and are overcrowded. Roads are terrible - it takes 3 years to widen a 3 mile stretch of road. And there is no end in sight to the overdevelopment. That’s why we’re getting out.

With bass heavy tracks at the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) that your system is capable of, yes you're going to get rattles. Look at your mirrors, see them vibrating? Just sit and feel the music, it's shaking *you*. Necessarily not every component in the vehicle can be clamped down and immobilized to prevent rattles when you're putting out so much bass that you're literally shaking the whole vehicle. Doing that would cause more aggravations than it would solve. Enjoy the fact that you have a system capable of putting out that kind of SPL rather than a neutered sound system.

That said, sure have the dealer check. There could be something rattling that should be clamped down so it's worth a look, but also have reasonable expectations.

Edited by Seijirou

With bass heavy tracks at the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) that your system is capable of, yes you're going to get rattles. Look at your mirrors, see them vibrating? Just sit and feel the music, it's shaking *you*. Necessarily not every component in the vehicle can be clamped down and immobilized to prevent rattles when you're putting out so much bass that you're literally shaking the whole vehicle. Doing that would cause more aggravations than it would solve. Enjoy the fact that you have a system capable of putting out that kind of SPL rather than a neutered sound system.

That said, sure have the dealer check. There could be something rattling that should be clamped down so it's worth a look, but also have reasonable expectations.

I'm with you and don't feel like I have unrealistic expectations here. I was in high school in the bass heavy 90s and outfitted several cars with stereo, subs, sound deadening, etc. That's why I was using the Jeep SRT as a reference as these vehicles are of similar build quality with similar sound systems. The tracks that produce the rattles are bass heavy, admittedly. I've got the worst of the rattle / buzz narrowed down to the passenger side door speaker and it actually sounds like it could be blown, but that would surprise me. If anyone is interested, the intro to The Weeknd's song Starboy is a track that produces a significant amount of the rattle / buzz. Volume 10-12 and it's really noticeable. I know it's loud :)

I'm going to have the dealer look at it soon. My passenger side mirror also has a gremlin in it. All that being said, I love the vehicle. I've already commented to my wife that there is no way the retractable steps make it the entire 39 month lease. We have two boys, 8 years old and 5 years old and the number of times a door is opened, closed, opened, closed, with steps going in and out is shocking. You don't realize how many times doors are open and shut until you see those steps in a full jazzercise routine all day.

Edited by Breedy00
  • Like 1

I've already commented to my wife that there is no way the retractable steps make it the entire 39 month lease. We have two boys, 8 years old and 5 years old and the number of times a door is opened, closed, opened, closed, with steps going in and out is shocking. You don't realize how many times doors are open and shut until you see those steps in a full jazzercise routine all day.

I haven't taken delivery of my 2018 Navigator yet, but I do have a 2013 Expedition with retractable steps and I'm assuming they are pretty much the same mechanism. They have never failed to work, and they have definitely gotten a workout over the years. They really are pretty durable.

I haven't taken delivery of my 2018 Navigator yet, but I do have a 2013 Expedition with retractable steps and I'm assuming they are pretty much the same mechanism. They have never failed to work, and they have definitely gotten a workout over the years. They really are pretty durable.

We've had the retractable steps on 2007 Navigator and a 2015 F-150, before our 2018 Navigator .... no problem, great convenience.

I'm with you and don't feel like I have unrealistic expectations here. I was in high school in the bass heavy 90s and outfitted several cars with stereo, subs, sound deadening, etc. That's why I was using the Jeep SRT as a reference as these vehicles are of similar build quality with similar sound systems. The tracks that produce the rattles are bass heavy, admittedly. I've got the worst of the rattle / buzz narrowed down to the passenger side door speaker and it actually sounds like it could be blown, but that would surprise me. If anyone is interested, the intro to The Weeknd's song Starboy is a track that produces a significant amount of the rattle / buzz. Volume 10-12 and it's really noticeable. I know it's loud :)

Okay well that puts it in a different light. There shouldn't be buzzing at 10-12. I get some buzz with a heavy bass track at volumes over 25 but that's really shaking the whole vehicle quite a bit so of course there's going to be some buzz.

Update. I now have a piece of the chrome trim on the rear passenger door coming off. So I have them looking at the speaker,mirror gremlin and now the chrome trim piece. Another HUGE bummer is I got a rock chip in the windshield last weekend. Totally sucks and it's kinda in my field of view too.

Anyway,jump on the Lincoln Way app yesterday and made the pick up appointment. Super easy to do. Made the appointment for Friday at 11:00 a.m. So,I get a call this morning that the dealer can't come any earlier than next Tuesday. So it looks like the Lincoln Way app scheduling isn't linked to the actual dealer's calendar.

Update. I now have a piece of the chrome trim on the rear passenger door coming off. So I have them looking at the speaker,mirror gremlin and now the chrome trim piece. Another HUGE bummer is I got a rock chip in the windshield last weekend. Totally sucks and it's kinda in my field of view too.

Anyway,jump on the Lincoln Way app yesterday and made the pick up appointment. Super easy to do. Made the appointment for Friday at 11:00 a.m. So,I get a call this morning that the dealer can't come any earlier than next Tuesday. So it looks like the Lincoln Way app scheduling isn't linked to the actual dealer's calendar.

Shocking! :swear:

I hate the Ford service appointment booking on the website. Too many times I get a call from the dealership saying they are too busy and that the website just sends a request to the dealer but doesn't actually make the appt. Well, then the site should say that! :banghead:

Edited by HofstraJet