ahhh sweet bliss

slumlord

Hmm?

A low-profile USB stick is $10-15. Something here does not compute.

A. I need a MUCH higher capacity (the one in my car is 256GB, and almost full. I literally mean my entire library).

B. Im living like Im completely broke right now because between unemployment and my SUB benefits Im only getting 70% of my normal paychecks, and I still dont 100% know exactly when I go back to work.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I just made changes to mine yesterday and bought the scan tool specifically to disable auto start/stop but ended up keeping it incase I find my self in traffic or in a drive through. Im so used to disabling it now its not a nuisance to me anymore. I disabled the double honk and seatbelt warning. Reading Akirbys response I may enable the secure idle. I wish I could make the thing that displays the volume from popping up every adjustment and possibly the text message notification as well.

You can disable text notification - forgot where it is but I know you can as I did it. Will check tomorrow when I get into vehicle again.

Agree on the volume screen - absurd.

EDIT: its in Settings > Phone > Tezt messaging. Turn it off completely.

Edited by HofstraJet

Got me an OBDII scan tool and used FORScan to permanently turn off the annoying auto stop/start. Also turned off the even more annoying double horn honk when the truck is running and you get out of the truck with keys in your pocket and I unlocked the navigation features when truck is in motion. A lot of other cool things you can do but those 3 alone made it all worth it.

Can you elaborate a little on what it takes to do this? I'd like to turn off start/stop and allow navigation features in motion..

I tried with a cheap "stock" OBDII tool (no MS/HS CAN bus switch) and Forscan Lite on Android, but I don't know what i'm looking for. I can see the state-machines for start-stop, but I don't see anywhere to disable it. I don't see anything about navigation.

Do these settings require the MS/HS CAN switch?

Can these settings be toggled with Android Forscan Lite, or do I need to use the windows desktop version? (I'm trying the android version because i have only MacOS laptops at the moment)

Can you elaborate a little on what it takes to do this? I'd like to turn off start/stop and allow navigation features in motion..

I tried with a cheap "stock" OBDII tool (no MS/HS CAN bus switch) and Forscan Lite on Android, but I don't know what i'm looking for. I can see the state-machines for start-stop, but I don't see anywhere to disable it. I don't see anything about navigation.

Do these settings require the MS/HS CAN switch?

Can these settings be toggled with Android Forscan Lite, or do I need to use the windows desktop version? (I'm trying the android version because i have only MacOS laptops at the moment)

I found this Forscan Tutorial from the F150 forums someone referenced.

From the tutorial, it sounds like (a) YES it looks like you need the MS/HS CAN switch, (b) NO the Android Forscan Lite can not make any changes. Have to use the windows version.

It looks like the windows FORscan will run on a Mac under windows (either emulation with parallels or vmware, or dual-boot)

You can disable text notification - forgot where it is but I know you can as I did it. Will check tomorrow when I get into vehicle again.

Agree on the volume screen - absurd.

EDIT: its in Settings > Phone > Tezt messaging. Turn it off completely.

Im turning that off next time I get in the car, thanks!

Got me an OBDII scan tool and used FORScan to permanently turn off the annoying auto stop/start. Also turned off the even more annoying double horn honk when the truck is running and you get out of the truck with keys in your pocket and I unlocked the navigation features when truck is in motion. A lot of other cool things you can do but those 3 alone made it all worth it.

Will the OBDII work with most newer autos & what was the approx. price for this. It certainly seems like a great tool to have.

I got this ELM327 USB adapter. Others clones can work but this was listed as 100% compatable and for a few extra bucks and less headache I just got it.

http://elm-327.eu/elm_usbhsms

Then get FORScan here : http://forscan.org/download.html(its free for PC but costs a few bucks if you want it on your phone instead) Also you would need a WIFI or BLUETOOTH OBDII adapter not a USB one that I listed.

Sign up at the forscan forum (free) takes around 12-24 hours to get approved http://forscan.org/forum/

Then you have to register forscan extended license (also free) http://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php

Video here
And some codes you can do and the different modules.
Aways backup first so you have the Original off all modules you modify. This way can easily go back to "stock" and also backup once you make all your changes so you can easily go back to fully modded (say if you bring it to the dealer for something and don't want them to see the changes you made.
Here is a video to show how to backup
It was very easy to do and it made the truck so much better. Would be nice if they just had these settings in a menu in the truck that was easy to change but this code reader and free app work just as well. Plus the app can read and clear trouble codes and more so it has other uses if you want.

HAVE FUN!

WOW!!! That's a lot of great suggestions to try out. Thanks.

Thats my biggest (and only actually) bitch with Sync 3 so far is every time I plug my phone in it feels the need to re-index my entire music library. The Sync 2 system (minus the My Ford Touch) in my old Focus did the same thing but at least Sync 3 doesnt hijack the whole system and start playing everything in alphabetical order and starts where it last left off.

Maybe its just the CarPlay aspect that does that, Im not sure. I havent had much of a chance to play around with it since I got the car 5 days ago.

I have the Sync 2 & have stopped using the plug-in because of the playing everything. Did you find any way to stop that from happening? Thanks.

I think that's Apple's iOS Media Sharing, not CarPlay (display projection). I fiddled with my wife's iphone a little, and I wasn't able to find a way to turn off SYNCs indexing of shared media. However, she doesn't have the problem you have, because she uses streaming apps (spotify and apple music).

I've never seen this problem on Android, as you can separately control whether Android allows USB Mass Storage (media) access, or Android-Auto. My USB permissions are set to "charge only".

Dave, I think you just answered a question I just asked. I have Android & will immediately try the control of Mass Storage solution. Glad I kept reading!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

A. I need a MUCH higher capacity (the one in my car is 256GB, and almost full. I literally mean my entire library).

B. Im living like Im completely broke right now because between unemployment and my SUB benefits Im only getting 70% of my normal paychecks, and I still dont 100% know exactly when I go back to work.

And I thought I had a large collection for the auto!!! But yours in another dimension with almost filling a 256 GB drive? You must take looooooooooooong trips.

Dave, I think you just answered a question I just asked. I have Android & will immediately try the control of Mass Storage solution. Glad I kept reading!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

If you have a computer nearby, plug your phone into it via USB, and then pull-down and select the "usb connection" notification item, and change it to "charge only". (see picture)

I think this setting is global (appliest for any usb host you plug it into). If you set it back to transfer files at some point, remember to set it back to charge only before you use it in your car. If you frequently want to USB transfer files off your phone, but you want it to only charge in your car, you can probably use Android software like Automator to automatically switch the USB Connection mode to "charge only" when your phone connects to your car bluetooth or android auto starts.

If you don't have computer nearby, you can do it with your car, but it's a multi-step process, because Android won't let you out of android auto while it's enabled, and I don't think you can pull-down the settings pull down on the phone while Android Auto is running.

1) plug in your android phone

2) On Navigator screen, if android auto is running, hit button in lower right on android auto to exit to sync

3) On Navigator screen, go to SYNC android-auto settings, and set android auto to "disabled"

4) wait for android auto to close, possibly un-plug, re-plug phone

5) On phone (plugged in) pull-down from the top, and choose the "usb connection" notification item... set the selection to "charge only" (see screenshot)

6) On Navigator screen, set android auto to "enabled"

post-58553-0-94073200-1526077474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave_SF

And I thought I had a large collection for the auto!!! But yours in another dimension with almost filling a 256 GB drive? You must take looooooooooooong trips.

Nope, I just like the convenience of having my entire library with me at my disposal whenever I'm driving.

I found this Forscan Tutorial from the F150 forums someone referenced.

From the tutorial, it sounds like (a) YES it looks like you need the MS/HS CAN switch, (b) NO the Android Forscan Lite can not make any changes. Have to use the windows version.

It looks like the windows FORscan will run on a Mac under windows (either emulation with parallels or vmware, or dual-boot)

You do need the windows version, but you can disable start/stop without the more expensive module. You cannot turn off the dash display and you cannot disable the button itself without it, but you can disable the feature.

As far as navigation while moving, I don't know on that one.

• 11 months later...

Question... I was wondering if there is a way to use ForScan to add a button on the main screen that gives you the ability to turn off the screen like you can if you get into the settings and turn it off....at night, while driving, I have found it nice that I can turn off the infotainment screen in the dash by getting to the settings, but would love that there could be a "short cut" button on the main screen to turn it off without having to wade through the settings menu.

• 11 months later...
On 4/28/2018 at 6:04 PM, slumlord said:

I got this ELM327 USB adapter. Others clones can work but this was listed as 100% compatable and for a few extra bucks and less headache I just got it.

http://elm-327.eu/elm_usbhsms

Then get FORScan here : http://forscan.org/download.html(its free for PC but costs a few bucks if you want it on your phone instead) Also you would need a WIFI or BLUETOOTH OBDII adapter not a USB one that I listed.

Sign up at the forscan forum (free) takes around 12-24 hours to get approved http://forscan.org/forum/

Then you have to register forscan extended license (also free) http://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php

Video here

And some codes you can do and the different modules.

Aways backup first so you have the Original off all modules you modify. This way can easily go back to "stock" and also backup once you make all your changes so you can easily go back to fully modded (say if you bring it to the dealer for something and don't want them to see the changes you made.

Here is a video to show how to backup

It was very easy to do and it made the truck so much better. Would be nice if they just had these settings in a menu in the truck that was easy to change but this code reader and free app work just as well. Plus the app can read and clear trouble codes and more so it has other uses if you want.

HAVE FUN!

Helpful - thank you!