Lincoln “Committed” To Sedans Despite Ford’s Decision To Drop Them

Ford recently revealed plans to eliminate its entire sedan lineup in North America so naturally there were questions about whether or not Lincoln would follow suit.

Thankfully were getting some answers as a spokesperson told Automobile Magazine the company is committed to both the Continental and MKZ. The mention of the latter model is interesting as Ford will drop the Fusion in North America.

Carsalesbase data shows Lincoln sold 27,387 MKZs in the United States last year and this was a significant decline from the 34,009 units that were sold in 2014. It remains unclear why Ford would want to keep the model around especially when its axing the Fusion which sold 209,623 units last year.

Regardless of the companys reasoning, previous reports have suggested the MKZ successor will be launched in 2020. Little is known the sedan but it will likely be offered with a plug-in hybrid powertrain.

The Continentals future is a bit clearer as the company reportedly used the National Automobile Dealers Association convention to confirm plans to bring back the suicide rear doors. Theres no word on timing, so it remains unclear if Lincoln will offer suicide rear doors on the current Continental or wait until the next-generation model which is due in 2022. Like the MKZ successor, the next Continental is expected to have a plug-in hybrid option.

Lincoln is the midst of a major product push as the companys president recently confirmed plans for five new or redesigned models besides the Aviator. Details remain elusive but the company has already confirmed plans for an new crossover and an MKC successor.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/lincoln-committed-sedans-despite-fords-decision-drop/

Any word on when the Chinese Lincoln factory is inaugurated? I think that should be a priority

These articles from last year indicate late next year (2019)

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1104381_lincoln-to-start-production-in-china-in-2019

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/lincoln-to-build-cars-in-china-in-pursuit-of-cadillac

This article from a couple of weeks ago indicates they'll start producing 5 models in China by 2022:

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2018/04/lincoln-planning-five-new-models-for-china-in-bid-to-catch-rivals/

---

So I'm thinking the plant opens late next year building Aviator to start, and other models are added as they're redesigned (MKC replacement, next gen Nautilus, etc)...

These articles from last year indicate late next year (2019)

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1104381_lincoln-to-start-production-in-china-in-2019

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/lincoln-to-build-cars-in-china-in-pursuit-of-cadillac

This article from a couple of weeks ago indicates they'll start producing 5 models in China by 2022:

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2018/04/lincoln-planning-five-new-models-for-china-in-bid-to-catch-rivals/

---

So I'm thinking the plant opens late next year building Aviator to start, and other models are added as they're redesigned (MKC replacement, next gen Nautilus, etc)...

2019? Finally! I believe that if Lincoln advances too much in front of the competitors in China, it can boost new car launches, and maybe sports versions of SUV and CUV

Flat Rock, not China. At least not for North America sales.

China will probably produce them for local consumption rather than import.

For now. I'm thinking future plant plans will be impacted by the decision to kill off the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on when the Chinese Lincoln factory is inaugurated? I think that should be a priority

Ford is structuring Lincoln as part of the Chang'an Ford joint venture so there won't be any Lincoln factory per se. The setup is similar to SAIC GM which includes Chevy, Buick and Cadillac brands, and different from VW's apprach, which has FAW VW and FAW Audi as separate joint ventures for example.

The replacement for MKC will likely be the first Lincoln made in China but it will be coming from the same assembly line for the new Kuga.

And Ford just announced it will build Explorer in China so Aviator will probably follow soon after.

The 5 Lincoln models by 2022 seems pretty obvious...

1. MKC replacement

2. Next generation Nautilus

3. Aviator

4. Something based on Ford's short C ultility

5. C2 sedan to replace MKZ

I don't think Ford has made a decision yet on Continental. Probably because it hasn't made a decision on the next gen Taurus.

Edited by bzcat

...5. C2 sedan to replace MKZ

I don't think Ford has made a decision yet on Continental. Probably because it hasn't made a decision on the next gen Taurus.

just-imho

they're going to run the current[OR Conti-door-]Continental + 'Zeplacement' together until they HAFTA decide about a n.g.Conti...

then if-they-do, it'll basically be a long-wlb variant [ie more diff than a version] of the cD6-Z2

The two length CD6 sedan strategy doesn't preclude the C2 sedan. The Chinese market dynamics is different than US because it is growing. You want to add as many nameplates and fill as many niche as possible before the growth stalls out and the market share of different brands enter a state of equilibrium.

That's been Ford's problem in China this whole time... too slow in adding new models.

Ford recently revealed plans to eliminate its entire sedan lineup in North America so naturally there were questions about whether or not Lincoln would follow suit.

Thankfully were getting some answers as a spokesperson told Automobile Magazine the company is committed to both the Continental and MKZ. The mention of the latter model is interesting as Ford will drop the Fusion in North America.

Carsalesbase data shows Lincoln sold 27,387 MKZs in the United States last year and this was a significant decline from the 34,009 units that were sold in 2014. It remains unclear why Ford would want to keep the model around especially when its axing the Fusion which sold 209,623 units last year.

Regardless of the companys reasoning, previous reports have suggested the MKZ successor will be launched in 2020. Little is known the sedan but it will likely be offered with a plug-in hybrid powertrain.

The Continentals future is a bit clearer as the company reportedly used the National Automobile Dealers Association convention to confirm plans to bring back the suicide rear doors. Theres no word on timing, so it remains unclear if Lincoln will offer suicide rear doors on the current Continental or wait until the next-generation model which is due in 2022. Like the MKZ successor, the next Continental is expected to have a plug-in hybrid option.

Lincoln is the midst of a major product push as the companys president recently confirmed plans for five new or redesigned models besides the Aviator. Details remain elusive but the company has already confirmed plans for an new crossover and an MKC successor.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/lincoln-committed-sedans-despite-fords-decision-drop/

This is certainly great news!! Would hate to think that my 2018 Conti would be the last year if this outstanding line. Not sure what anyone would see in or want the suicide rear doors, but to each his own.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at trends,rumors and how Ford operates Lincoln will probably have 3 cars from here on out maximum. 1 A Lincstang coupe, 2 a fwd/awd (or rwd/awd) MKZ replacement, 3 a lwb rwd Continental replacement with "suicide" doors.

Any US rwd Ford sedan shared will be a "CUV" (think Subaru Outback / Outback sedan). IMO a possible a proper "Falcon"/Taurus sedan can be made for Asia/AU/EU and even NA markets.

• Like 1

Lincoln still talked about their next 4-new nameplates as 'Utilities' so I'm not sure we really have a clear direction on their sedans just yet. We still haven't seen any evidence of new sedans in development which would be a little unusual at this point if a new MKZ is arriving for 2020. Also, suicide doors aren't something you can simply add to an existing car without significant re-engineering, but we'll see. A great may things are supposedly due by 2020 but we've really only seen the Explorer, Aviator, Escape, and recently the MKC testing on the roads.

Edited by Assimilator

Lincoln still talked about their next 4-new nameplates as 'Utilities' so I'm not sure we really have a clear direction on their sedans just yet. We still haven't seen any evidence of new sedans in development which would be a little unusual at this point if a new MKZ is arriving for 2020. Also, suicide doors aren't something you can simply add to an existing car without significant re-engineering, but we'll see. A great may things are supposedly due by 2020 but we've really only seen the Explorer, Aviator, Escape, and recently the MKC testing on the roads.

I do know the Lincoln coupe is coming and the rwd Continental replacement will have suicide doors. IMO MKZ is in the air, its "right-sized" for US/international markets but might get killed due to its current set-up since the Fusion which its based on is gone, an rwd/awd set-up make better financial sence due that it can be shared with Mustang, Explorer, Aviator better .

Also the new Lincoln cars won't show till 21'-22 so most-likely the utilitys are being launched ahead and/or the sedans are hidden in a mule Mustang and Explorer.

Edited by Fgts

Also the new Lincoln cars won't show till 21'-22 so most-likely the utilitys are being launched ahead and/or the sedans are hidden in a mule Mustang and Explorer.

Im not even sure theyve made it that far. Mule mustangs havent really been out with exception of the GT500 and the mule Explorers are all Explorers right now since thats launching next year.

I think Ford hasn't decide on what to do with Lincoln sedan yet.

They are probably evaluating business case for three different scenarios right now:

1. CD6 sedan + C2 sedan

2. Two different C2 sedans

3. One C2 sedan

Case 1 is a bullish assumption that Lincoln can grow the sedan sales in China and thus justify a CD6 investment. It's not a trivial decision because it will probably come at an expense of being able to build/sell more Explorer and Aviator. So CD6 Continental will have to really move the bar on pricing to make sense.

Case 2 is status quo case. It assumes Lincoln will continue with 2 sedans: MKZ replacement and Continental. Or an alternate version of this plan which is a compact C2 Lincoln sedan for China, and the Continental splits with 2 different wheelbase: the standard Continental replaces MKZ and lower end of existing model, while a LWB Continental covers the higher end.

Case 3 is a pessimistic case assuming 4 door sedan is really a thing of past like the station wagon and 2 door sedan. In that case, I see Lincoln just making a car about the same of existing MKZ (but it may inherit the Continental name).

• Like 1

Imho

CD6 sedan + C2 sedan...

...is a bullish assumption that Lincoln can grow the sedan sales in China and thus justify a C2 copout that has No value in the U.S...

but

my real question is what they're gonna do and WHEN with that mystery E-architecture ... IF it really is in the works?

&

I refuse to disbelieve in a cD6 Lincoln car until Ford gives up on the Mustang, which They said had to be cD6 by excluding S550/S650 from their future lineup

I think Ford hasn't decide on what to do with Lincoln sedan yet.

They are probably evaluating business case for three different scenarios right now:

1. CD6 sedan + C2 sedan

2. Two different C2 sedans

3. One C2 sedan

Case 1 is a bullish assumption that Lincoln can grow the sedan sales in China and thus justify a CD6 investment. It's not a trivial decision because it will probably come at an expense of being able to build/sell more Explorer and Aviator. So CD6 Continental will have to really move the bar on pricing to make sense.

Case 2 is status quo case. It assumes Lincoln will continue with 2 sedans: MKZ replacement and Continental. Or an alternate version of this plan which is a compact C2 Lincoln sedan for China, and the Continental splits with 2 different wheelbase: the standard Continental replaces MKZ and lower end of existing model, while a LWB Continental covers the higher end.

Case 3 is a pessimistic case assuming 4 door sedan is really a thing of past like the station wagon and 2 door sedan. In that case, I see Lincoln just making a car about the same of existing MKZ (but it may inherit the Continental name).

Why would an option not be 1 CD6 sedan (perhaps with 2 wheelbases)?

I also don't understand your "at the expense of Explorer/Aviator production" comment - With Mustang also being on CD6, you could make it at Flat Rock like Conti is now, leaving Explorer/Aviator unaffected.

I'm not sure where a business case exists for a dedicated Lincoln sedan, especially if the current ones are loosing money and they were developed on high volume Ford architectures. If Lincoln were to develop a CD6 sedan all by itself, it would be their biggest single investment in 20 years and it would involve hiring a much bigger engineering staff to achieve this by themselves. There is a big difference between sharing a platform and sharing engineering hard points which is what is happening with all current Lincoln sedans. There's no getting around the fact that Lincoln sales are really poor, especially on a global scale, and they are not growing at home. I'm not sure how they afford to do this, they must have a good business case to convince Ford to continue investing.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

I think Mustang and Explorer will shoulder the majority of the engineering heavy lifting on suspensions, drivetrains, systems, etc. And a CD6 MKZ replacement could garner higher ATPs and compete more with BMW than Lexus. But volume will still be relatively low. Doing a SWB/LWB to replace both mkz and conti would make sense if they go that route.

In the end I think it will come down to plant capacity and whether they need something in Flat Rock to increase utilization. Otherwise it probably wouldn't make business sense by itself.

• Like 1