Lincoln “Committed” To Sedans Despite Ford’s Decision To Drop Them

Maybe Ford can use a few sedans for its autonomous car and ride sharing programs. But that's about it.

IMO if you have self driving car- it doesnt need to have a traditional look to it-it can be a box on wheels if its

Just moving people or cargo in it.

At that point, its an appliance.

I think people are under the erroneous impression that a platform is the only expensive thing in a product's development. The CD6 that got the green light was designed for utilities, a version of it packaged for sedan engineering hard points was never developed. Lincoln would have to spend that money. They would need a very generous Ford to spot that kind of cash and personnel. As strained as Ford is, I would not be surprised at all if they just can't stomach this right now. But, I just keep thinking of China and what they are going to do there. I think Tariffs are going to make the situation much tougher for Lincoln. They can't export and now they can't import Lincolns...that's means they'd need production capacity for low volume in the US which further reduces margins. So that could mean we will be looking at Chinese only Lincoln sedans.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

I think people are under the erroneous impression that a platform is the only expensive thing in a product's development. The CD6 that got the green light was designed for utilities, a version of it packaged for sedan engineering hard points was never developed. Lincoln would have to spend that money. They would need a very generous Ford to spot that kind of cash and personnel. As strained as Ford is, I would not be surprised at all if they just can't stomach this right now. But, I just keep thinking of China and what they are going to do there. I think Tariffs are going to make the situation much tougher for Lincoln. They can't export and now they can't import Lincolns...that's means they'd need production capacity for low volume in the US which further reduces margins. So that could mean we will be looking at Chinese only Lincoln sedans.

Ford is spending that money on CD6 for Mustang so a Lincoln sedan can take advantage of that sunk costs.

The CD6 that got the green light was designed for utilities, a version of it packaged for sedan engineering hard points was never developed. Lincoln would have to spend that money. They would need a very generous Ford to spot that kind of cash and personnel. As strained as Ford is, I would not be surprised at all if they just can't stomach this right now. But, I just keep thinking of China and what they are going to do there. I think Tariffs are going to make the situation much tougher for Lincoln. They can't export and now they can't import Lincolns...that's means they'd need production capacity for low volume in the US which further reduces margins. So that could mean we will be looking at Chinese only Lincoln sedans.

Ford won't sink money in a Lincoln only sedan but would do it if the Mustang and a Ford sedan (assuming it can be internationally sold) can be done at a desirable profit, plus isn't Flat-Rock a candidate for production since it can't run SUVs?.

I probably sound like a broken record here but IMO I have no use for a whateverUV and would force to look elsewhere for another 4-door purchase.

• Like 1

Its not like you would buy a Ford/Lincoln product anyways.

Your self importance/entitlement is of zero concern to them.

FYI guy, I bought an ST Focus w 3 miles on the odometer, your pompous opinions and unwarranted insults I'll comment once on and not care from here on out.... Edited by Fgts
  • Like 1

FYI guy, I bought an ST Focus w 3 miles on the odometer, your pompous opinions and unwarranted insults I'll comment once on and not care from here on out....

You're talking to a brick wall.

This bunch will always support what Ford is doing, no matter what. Just read Ranger threads from 4-5 years ago...

Some of us like cars for reasons other than because they're "cheap" and are/were even loyal Ford owners, but we'll be shopping elsewhere for our next vehicle.

You're talking to a brick wall.

This bunch will always support what Ford is doing, no matter what. Just read Ranger threads from 4-5 years ago...

Some of us like cars for reasons other than because they're "cheap" and are/were even loyal Ford owners, but we'll be shopping elsewhere for our next vehicle.

Dont let the door hit you on the way out then...

• Like 1

And some of us understand business decisions even if we don't like them personally. Saying that it makes sense for Ford to stop building sedans given the current situation is different than saying nobody wants sedans.

Killing Ranger was the right decision at the time and NOBODY outside GM thought there was a market for mid sized trucks. GM took a big gamble there and it paid off - the market changed. Ford was right to wait but they obviously waited too long - Ranger should have been here 2-3 years ago.

As for not being critical of Ford you must not have been paying attention the last few months.

• Like 1

Killing Ranger was the right decision at the time and NOBODY outside GM thought there was a market for mid sized trucks. GM took a big gamble there and it paid off - the market changed. Ford was right to wait but they obviously waited too long - Ranger should have been here 2-3 years ago.

Toyota and Nissan knew very well that there has always been a good market for mid sized trucks in the U.S. And still is. Those two companies benefited from GM and Ford's bad decisions in this segment.

T6 Ranger should have been introduced in U.S. and Canada at the same time it was introduced in Mexico. That would be right after the old U.S./Canada Ranger was discontinued. But what's done is done. At Ford, hopefully any executives that were responsible for the 8 year absence of Ranger (2011-2018) in the U.S. have been fired.

I'm planning to pre-order a 2019 Ranger XLT by November this year.

I was looking for a mid size pick-up back in June. I almost bought the Honda Ridgeline. I went to the dealer 3 times checking it out but ended up deciding against it. It had a couple of novel features, lockable trunk in the bed big enough for me to get in & speaker inducers in the bed liner, but the ones on the lot had a very poor fit and finish on them, body panels did not line up well at all etc. I'll wait a year after the new Ranger comes, read the reviews and take a serious look at them. I'd like to have a smaller sized pick-up but don't need it right now.

But I guess I'm getting a little off topic here in the Lincoln forum.

Edited by gthims
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2018 at 5:03 PM, rmc523 said:

I wonder how a BIG "sedan" would do - big in the sense of like Rolls-Royce, how a Phantom is the size/height of my Flex, yet it's still a "sedan" - as a way to sort of bridge the gap between crossover and sedan.

This is the secret to keep sedans alive. Make it more taller and big, as a crossover. The Rolls Royce Phantom is an example of what a sedan must be in the future. And is clear the sedan will be a luxury thing... not the mainstream is today.

I imagine a really big new Continental, tall and long, builded on the same platform as the Aviator and almost as tall as this SUV. And with those espectacular coach doors standard.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

This is the secret to keep sedans alive. Make it more taller and big, as a crossover. The Rolls Royce Phantom is an example of what a sedan must be in the future. And is clear the sedan will be a luxury thing... not the mainstream is today.

I imagine a really big new Continental, tall and long, builded on the same platform as the Aviator and almost as tall as this SUV. And with those espectacular coach doors standard.

I'd be a buyer!

On 12/24/2018 at 6:01 PM, Assimilator said:

If it LOOKS like a sedan, that's the problem.  The profile is a big reason it's dead.

Ford tried making taller SUV-like sedans...they still sell one called the Taurus...and they flopped. 

The Taurus is bulbous and ugly, the 500 before it worse. This has nothing to do with a Lincoln sedan. There are tons of luxury sedans being sold and Lincoln could be successful making a statement in this market. The current Conti is well rated (tops in the latest CR) but doesn't make that statement like the Navi/Avi do. They'll get there.

• Like 1

The 500 was grotesquely homely but had great rear seat room.    The Taurus that followed looks much better but has poor interior room utilization considering the exterior dimensions.    With the demise of Cadillac's luxury sedans, Lincoln has an opportunity that they have never had before.    I didn't expect the coach door Conti to get as much positive press or favorable comments from current Lincoln owners as it has.    It would certainly be cool to see them offer a REAL luxury sedan based on the CD6 at some point.     I find it sad to think that there will only be a viable market for utilitarian appliances, trucks or sports cars.   

• Like 3