Ford giving up on Fiesta, Focus and Fusion

Ford still had no problems selling the current Explorer or Escape when gas was $3-4 a gallon in 2013-14

really?
- 2013 ----- 2017 ----------------
158,344 - 238,056 - Explorer
038,062 - 051,883 - Expedition
619,470 - 796,302 - all SuvCuvs

really?
- 2013 ----- 2017 ----------------
158,344 - 238,056 - Explorer
038,062 - 051,883 - Expedition
619,470 - 796,302 - all SuvCuvs

You have to go back a bit more-Take a look at 2008, gas was ~ $3.25

post-11015-0-70319100-1526929399_thumb.jpg

Sales still climbed even with gas prices increased

Other factors at play- Great Recession and increasing demand for CUVs

• Like 1

If anything they should be fast tracking the hybrid utilities.

Nobody is going from a 24 mpg Edge to a 27 mpg Fusion because gas prices went up.

I'll bet a bunch will keep their 2015 Fusions and not move up to a 2019 Edge because of gas price.

believe it or not, this is a Focus Active - called a crossover because its 30mm higher ride height

FORD_2018_FOCUS_ACTIVE__06a-1024x555.jpg

As I understand it, that car will be built in China, correct?

I'll not buy a car built in China. This is not an option for me.

• Like 1

US is only getting the active, which is a hatchback.

Side note: god I hope they ditch the active part. Stupid name.

I wanted to know about what's getting BUILT where & if we know for certain?

my impression:

hatch & wagon in europe

sedan in China

btw
the Fusion OrderGuide seems to apply SEL & Active to the same trim/level
hmmz.png

I'll bet a bunch will keep their 2015 Fusions and not move up to a 2019 Edge because of gas price.

And I’ll bet you haven’t looked at fuel economy numbers recently because there isn’t much difference between a Fusion and an Edge.

US is only getting the active, which is a hatchback.

Side note: god I hope they ditch the active part. Stupid name.

I wouldn't rule out wagon and sedan Active, just like ST-line, which started as hatchback only but now will be available in all three body styles.

Edited by bzcat

my impression:

hatch & wagon in europe

sedan in China

My understanding is that both China and Germany will build the new Focus however the ones that were originally going to be sent to us for the 2020 model year, which were going to be sedan, hatchback, and Active crossover, were going to be Chinese-made as far as the lower trim lines like S, SE, and SEL. The Titanium, and the ST and RS high performance trimlines were going to come from Germany. However, with Ford's recent change with us only getting the Active, it will be Chinese-made for all trims. I could be wrong with what I said. Anyone please correct my mistakes but what I said is what I understand from Ford's announcements and the articles I've seen.

• Like 1

My understanding is that both China and Germany will build the new Focus however the ones that were originally going to be sent to us for the 2020 model year, which were going to be sedan, hatchback, and Active crossover, were going to be Chinese-made as far as the lower trim lines like S, SE, and SEL. The Titanium, and the ST and RS high performance trimlines were going to come from Germany. However, with Ford's recent change with us only getting the Active, it will be Chinese-made for all trims. I could be wrong with what I said. Anyone please correct my mistakes but what I said is what I understand from Ford's announcements and the articles I've seen.

You nailed it. Everything is coming from China and we wont get a new ST or RS.
  • Like 1

You nailed it. Everything is coming from China and we wont get a new ST or RS.

I don't think the RS sold that well anyways in the US-not many people want to pony up 42K for a Focus

Christ I think the one that a kid/young adult has that visits my neighbor has a tacky dealer add on RS sticker to boot

Then again I saw 2-3 of them (including the one above) coming come from work one day-but yet I have yet to see really and GT350s in the area-even though someone owns one in my town-from a FB post I saw.

I like the RS, but i'm over 40 and I wouldn't want to deal with all the asshole kids that would want to race me.

I don't think the RS sold that well anyways in the US-not many people want to pony up 42K for a Focus

Christ I think the one that a kid/young adult has that visits my neighbor has a tacky dealer add on RS sticker to boot

Then again I saw 2-3 of them (including the one above) coming come from work one day-but yet I have yet to see really and GT350s in the area-even though someone owns one in my town-from a FB post I saw.

I like the RS, but i'm over 40 and I wouldn't want to deal with all the asshole kids that would want to race me.

Let's set the record straight on why the RS was sitting on the lots not selling. Dealer markup for that first year was atrocious! I've never seen dealers be more greedy on a car. Sticker was 37, asking 47 and not budging! By the time dealers got desperate, the whole head gasket issue was becoming known. So now we have 2 model years overstocked on dealer lots with lots of head gasket videos going up on youtube. Then when they finally brought prices down to sticker and a bit below, the mania had mostly died. Then the dealers complained that nobody was buying them. Now 2018 is the final year and we probably won't ever see them again.

I looked at a 2016 and 2017 before I bought my Fusion. Both dealers treated me like I was worthless and didn't want to negotiate. Add to that there is no A/Z plan (which I accepted). Oh and Focus had 0% financing for 72 months but not for the RS (cherry on top). I could have gotten a loan through a bank but both were also being bastards about my trade (final straw). I happened to see my Fusion not to far away so I took a look. They gave me the most on my trade by 1k, 1500 cash back, Z plan, and 0% for 72. That was the last time I thought about the RS. The head gasket problems (which I know has been identified and can be fixed) made me glad I didn't buy it. I don't have time to sit and waste at a dealer.

• Like 3

my impression:

hatch & wagon in europe

sedan in China

All variants will be built in Germany, although the sedan will not be sold in some EU markets.

China is the only other confirmed assembly point for the MK4 hatch and sedan, and the only market where the wagon ACTIVE has been shown in a couple of pictures at the auto show there.

Images below are the ones shown at the China MK4 reveal, and the wagon ACTIVE mule spied on the street in the UK. There was zero mention of the wagon ACTIVE at the Europe reveal.

post-25487-0-60109200-1526992860_thumb.jpg

post-25487-0-79686500-1526992871_thumb.jpg

post-25487-0-62056300-1526993049_thumb.jpg

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

How many would have to sell to make you think it sold okay?

MK3 Focus RS 2016 - 2018 the plant Saarlouis assembled 34,034 RS

MK2 Focus RS. 2008 - 2010 the plant Saarlouis assembled 11,500 RS

Without knowing how many sold in USA it is difficult to say or think if it sold well or not. But with triple the amount produced one could also think that the RS sold well in the USA.

But to tow the line here, it does not matter how many they sold but how many $$$$$$'s were made on each unit.

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

MK3 Focus RS 2016 - 2918 the plant Saarlouis assembled 34,034 RS

Without knowing how many sold in USA it is difficult to say or think if it sold well or not. But with triple the amount produced one could also think that the RS sold well in the USA.

But to tow the line here, it does not matter how many they sold but how many $$$$$$'s were made on each unit.

the 3 2016 RS my dealer has sitting in their showroom right now suggests theyre not selling very fast

MK3 Focus RS 2016 - 2918 the plant Saarlouis assembled 34,034 RS

the 3 2016 RS my dealer has sitting in their showroom right now suggests theyre not selling very fast

IIRC they imported about 2500 of them to the US

As empirical data has shown-outside of some die hard Ford fans', they've been bolted to the sale floor-partly due to dealer greed, head gasket issues and pricing.

I'm glad they brought the car over, but apparently this product didn't connect with the buying public. Then again did they every advertise it either?

IIRC they imported about 2500 of them to the US

As empirical data has shown-outside of some die hard Ford fans', they've been bolted to the sale floor-partly due to dealer greed, head gasket issues and pricing.

I'm glad they brought the car over, but apparently this product didn't connect with the buying public. Then again did they every advertise it either?

A lot of people had a hard time shelling out $40k for a Focus. It didn't matter how good the car is (many publications refer to it as god on wheels), the price even before the dealer markups just wasn't going to fly.

A lot of people had a hard time shelling out $40k for a Focus. It didn't matter how good the car is (many publications refer to it as god on wheels), the price even before the dealer markups just wasn't going to fly.

True, but what else on the marketplace offered that type of performance? One issue is that it didn't have a STI or GTI badge on it. You'd think the ST would have paved the way for it, but it also shows you why the car buying public doesn't want to spend big $$$ on cars at that level of the market. Special Edition Mustangs sell because they are Mustangs...seems like all the other lines that have performance models aren't quite there yet.

True, but what else on the marketplace offered that type of performance? One issue is that it didn't have a STI or GTI badge on it. You'd think the ST would have paved the way for it, but it also shows you why the car buying public doesn't want to spend big $$$ on cars at that level of the market. Special Edition Mustangs sell because they are Mustangs...seems like all the other lines that have performance models aren't quite there yet.

a base Focus RS was 6k over a fully loaded ST AND Titanium. Too big of a gap. You dont see that big of a gap with special edition Mustangs.

a base Focus RS was 6k over a fully loaded ST AND Titanium. Too big of a gap. You dont see that big of a gap with special edition Mustangs.

I totally disagree. Folks have been buying these types of cars for years in that price range (see Suburu and Mitsubishi). Both of those cars start as econoboxes. I've already outlined what the problem was above. I really think they did not stock too many lower price range RS's. I was looking for a base (36) to 40k car. I didn't need an extra set of tires. You can carry your biases about the Focus, but crap, people are paying 50k and more for the CIVIC Type R. People will pay the price for souped up econoboxes, if the performance is there.