Ford giving up on Fiesta, Focus and Fusion

Just my opinion, but Ford Press Release gone wrong, I would have fired whoever was responsible for this. So many different ways it could have been addressed... "Next generation of sedans will be tailored more towards attributes that attract crossover drivers", or spin it in a positive way rather than just saying, "Hey it's getting killed" and having the values drop now for current owners. There's a way of saying "He's laterally challenged"... rather than saying "He's a midget"... or "he's residentially challenged and in transition"...rather than saying "he's homeless"....

• Like 3

But the announcement was aimed at the institutional investors and the media echo chamber and for the benefit of the shareholders, not the customers. Ford stock price went up 3% following the news of them dropping all cars except for Mustang.

They wanted people to think there will be no more cars, even though we know from listening to the earnings call that Jim Farley said there will be several "white space" vehicles and some of them will be sedan-like.

LOL. Poor guy. Do you complain to the kid at the McDonalds drive through that you cannot get the McDLT as well?

(If so, Im sure hell tell Ronald for you)

I loved the McDLT, lol. You had the hot side and the cold side! A trip down memory lane...

I anticipate that the replacement vehicles for the discontinued cars will be “carovers”. Crossover like vehicles, taller, higher ride height and higher profit units, on a car like chassis. I doubt the discontinued cars will be missed by many once they see the alternatives.

Hopefully this Mach 1/Maverick is a rwd/awd 5-door EV/Hatchback "CUV" that's replacing Fusion/Taurus. That's an ideal I like.

The Lincoln version would probably be a traditional sedan

Edited by Fgts

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it makes sense for profits but are they really taking everything into account? There are people like my mother who have only ever owned Ford sedans and have no interest in SUV’s (I tried to get her in Escape when she bought her last Fusion) that they are just walking away from.

Maybe it makes sense for profits but are they really taking everything into account? There are people like my mother who have only ever owned Ford sedans and have no interest in SUV’s (I tried to get her in Escape when she bought her last Fusion) that they are just walking away from.

believe it or not, this is a Focus Active - called a crossover because its 30mm higher ride height

FORD_2018_FOCUS_ACTIVE__06a-1024x555.jpg

I just heard that gas prices have just hit a $3 a gallon average in the US and are expected to keep going up. Maybe Ford needs to hold off a bit on this plan and watch what happens over the next 12 months or so. I can understand cutting the Taurus and Fiesta, but if fuel prices stay on the rise I could easily see sedans become more popular again especially if we get to a $4 average. Offering a competitive range of compact (Focus) and midsize (Fusion) sedans might be important again. I’m personally a fan of trucks and SUVs, but even with all the tech improvements sedans still get better fuel economy in the real world. Perception also plays a big part of it when fuel prices get high. I understand the other points being made here, but we’ve seen Ford already make bad judgements when it came to the midsize truck market and it’s taken them 5 years to compete in that market again.

I just heard that gas prices have just hit a $3 a gallon average in the US and are expected to keep going up. Maybe Ford needs to hold off a bit on this plan and watch what happens over the next 12 months or so. I can understand cutting the Taurus and Fiesta, but if fuel prices stay on the rise I could easily see sedans become more popular again especially if we get to a $4 average. Offering a competitive range of compact (Focus) and midsize (Fusion) sedans might be important again. I’m personally a fan of trucks and SUVs, but even with all the tech improvements sedans still get better fuel economy in the real world. Perception also plays a big part of it when fuel prices get high. I understand the other points being made here, but we’ve seen Ford already make bad judgements when it came to the midsize truck market and it’s taken them 5 years to compete in that market again.

Ford still had no problems selling the current Explorer or Escape when gas was $3-4 a gallon in 2013-14